so i think im gonna get off sertraline..

Posted , 8 users are following.

ive only been on 12.5mg and honestly its been hell and i feel so much more anxious and depressed its bad i feel like im going crazy ;( like i need to be in a nut house i was never this bad it got so bad i even thought about ending it all ;( im not going to but i want off this stupid med sad ughhh i want to feel better plus im alone all day and currently on my period and most of the day i just sit there and focus on how bad i feel i even feel like God doesn't care ;( i pray and beg for help but here i am feeling so horrible

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Antsy, hang in there things will get better. I was on seroxat for six months and what you are probably witnessing are called withdrawal symptoms. But don't worry they will get better in a couple of weeks. Do you like reading? Try to keep yourself occupied with things you like to do. Let me know if you would like to talk. Thanks.
    • Posted

im actually still on them rolleyes im gonna taper tmw i hate the way its making me feel and think ;( yes i love reading its hard to distract myself feeling this way though rolleyes
  • Posted

I know what you are going through. But just remember as real as those feelings may look they are just feelings/sensations and nothing more. They will not harm you in any way. Yes, they are uncomtorable but you can come out of them smile. So don't worry and drop me a line if you need any help.
    • Posted

yeah and the racing thoughts are the worse too! ugh its worse when im alone i hate feeling ao low i miss being happy.
    • Posted

I know how you feel , your not alone sweet heart.

You are on a very very low dose though?? I think usually the starting dose is 50mg and that takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to work.

What has your gp said?

• Posted

she started me on 25 mg but it was way too much for me to bear and its hard to get a hold of her since the phone to the clinic is always busy ive been on 12.5mg for 6wks i actually feel worse now then before rolleyes
    • Posted

So maybe you need a different AD?? you must demand an urgent appointment asap
    • Posted

doctors need to start low doses to allow client to introduce medication into system, and gauge for effectiveness and side effects.  Doctor asks client if it is helping, gauges responses of clients.  Helps client decide if they want to continue on dosage? maintain on dosage?  If not working may up dose to see if it helps?  If not helping after follow ups suggest trying different medications.  A good doctor also recommends therapy because medication is not a cure all.  Therapist assist with thinking and behavioral techniques to establish ways of dealing with feelings and thoughts.
  • Posted

I know you started off at 25mg and that being to strong but it may be a different story now that you have sertraline in your system.  I know I couldn't handle 50mg so backed off to 25mg and did better with that. But I'll probably up it to 50mg after a few weeks on 25mg now.  Maybe you should think about attempting to go to 25mg first before wheening off?

The past few posts you were mentioning things have gotta a bit better. Anxiety was still there but your depression was mostly gone.  But maybe if you can raise yourself a step closer to the theraputic level of sertraline other things might start disappearing too.

My nausea finally disappeared and soem of my physical symptoms have reduced a lot. So I might go to the theraputic level (50mg) to see if it brings down the other symptoms even more.  

I know it's really hard but maybe talk to your GP and see if you can raise it now.  You know it may get worse for a little bit but don't expect it to be as bad as it was when you first started. I just don't want you to possibly fall back into your depressive state again sad.

• Posted

Different people react to meds in different ways so whilst Sertraline might work out well for one person it could be unsuitable for another.

Obviously you need to speak to your doctor but maybe Sertraline isn't the right med for you and something else would help you more, doctors often say that it can take time to find the right medication, i would stick at it until you can see your doctor and then discuss other possibilities.

• Posted

I have certainly felt a many times that I needed to be a nut house.  Trust me you don't want to be alone, with people you don't trust.  Not to mention nut houses are for people with more serious mental illness issue, like schizophrenics and psycopaths.  Why are you isolating yourself?  It leaves you alone, when you could find ways to get out of your own mind. Which anxiety loves you to be?  God helps those that help themselves. This is not Gods fault,  God has given you a sound mind, peace and serenity, to which you have to find in yourself.  Quit being your own worst enemy and be your own friend, by doing things to make yourself feel better.  Have you connect with your doctor to let them know how you are feeling on your medication? Be part your recovery, don't wait for miracles to just happen.  It takes action and courage on your part to beat your anxieties!
  • Posted

You really need to see your gp as if sounds like you are really struggling. I take citalapram and he wants to see me monthly until I feel better. How much support are you getting at home? Also I agree that you need some sort of talking therapy, has yur gp referred you for this? X
  • Posted

im actually feeling better than i was just dealing with the derealization but hoping it will pass soon smile & its hard to get a hold of my dr atm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.