So long farewell !

Posted , 6 users are following.

Lots of people say thanks to the forum when they are recovered and don't feel they need the support anymore. But what does the future hold ? How long will our new TKR last for on average ? I asked my consultant will I be able to ski ? His reply was : It is not skiing that will damage your knee, but if you are involved in an accident ! Makes sense I suppose.

Is there anyone out there reading this who is 5yrs down the line or more ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm going skiing next year.  I'm just going to cruise the blues.  My surgeon said use common sense.  Now if I can find that app.
  • Posted

Yes I'm 16 years post op, Ive had a few very bad falls where I have dislocated my fake hip, done that 3 times, I've also been involved in a few car accidents the last one 2 years ago a girl came up a one way street that I was coming down and we hit head on, I hit my fake knee badly... But still okay. 
  • Posted

No I still live life to the full don't think about it....I am in Vietnam right now for a wedding. We went to the mud baths the paths roads here are very uneven, and I stepped into the jaccuzi got one foot in okay but then when my second leg came over I slipped big time, luckily into deep water. So no problem, but my legs were up around my head, and I thought are my hips still in one piece, they were, so no harm done,
  • Posted

Prosthesis are lasting longer now than just a few years back. I go 9 years out of mine and would have gotten more except for the tumor that started all my problems returned and ate up the bone and caused it to break loose. The Dr removed it with his finger tips, just lifting it out. Common sense and inderstanding seems to be the solution. Its a foreign bod and can only be thought of that way. People will fall, be on accidents, make mistakes on turning and survive but to push everything to the max just because you think you can is foolish. Just because your auto has a reading of 140 mph doesn't mean the mfg expects you to drive that speed every time you hit the road. If you do, something is going to wear out. The way I approach it, its good, high quality design and material but above all else, its man made and subject to failure. I never worried about it but stopped doing things I knew might create problems, then problems happened. I am preparing myself for surgery # 11 and to think everyone was so relieved when I was told my tumor was benign. I was never told in the beginning it can eat you up little by little.

So I guess it really doesnt after if the average life of a prosthesis is 15-20 years now and will probably get better, the question is, do you want to push it to the limit and have to go through it at 15 when a little common sense gets you 20. The one thing I notice on here, they are doing these at such younger ages basically hoping they never need but one revision. In my case I was 65 when I started this journey and 15 years later the battle goes on. I would have hayed the thought of being 50 at 1st call and now being 65 looking at the future with the clock started on my last go round.

I think only you can determine how hard you want to push the envelope and what you are willing to give up and go through because of lifestyle. Its alright to ski the double black diamonds if you understand the price that might come with the high. Good luck with whatever you decide, just remember wherein that decision was founded.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.