So lost after coming off Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Sorry, not been here for a while....feel like I let all of you down as I was getting some great support.

I've been off Citalopram 10mg for almost two weeks after going up to 40mg and gradually coming back down. I feel completely lost!!! Up until a couple of days ago, I was just getting side effects from coming off them....fast heart rate, spaced out moments, could sleep for England etc but in the last couple of days I feel like I've taken a huge step backwards.  Crying at nothing, feel like I have no one to talk to or turn to about it as no one understands.  OH says "why are you crying" and I can't answer, partly because I don't know but also because there are too many reasons to answer - that probably doesn't make sense but in my head it does. 

Has anyone else dipped badly when coming off Citalopram? If so, what did you do? Did you go back on tablets? I am trying desperately to stay off them, I didn't want to be on them but spent a year on them and also completed CBT so I'm hoping that this will pass as my levels rebalance....

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

When you say you have come off gradually, how gradually?  It really needs to be a very slow process. For example going from 7 days one week to six days the next etc then coming down to nothing. It maybe that your withdrawal was too sudden for you and you need something to help you still. Don't be afraid to go back to your doctor and explain your situation. That is what he or she is there for.
    • Posted

I came down from 40mg over a number of months, and had been on 10mg for around 2 months before finally coming off them by taking 10mg one day and nothing the next, then 10mg and so on....as directed by my Dr. She said if I experienced a dip, I could comfortably go back onto 10mg but I wanted to know if people think this will pass before I consider taking them again. Thanks for replying. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

I am in he position you were, being currently on 40mg and to start a slow and gradual reduction first to 20mg then on down. However, if I need to hold or go back up there is a plan for that too. Dr is excellent knows a lot about "sticking plasters for the brain" so in good hands, but vry interested in your post.

Although, I cannot personally help from experience (not yet anyway) I know there are some that can and wish you all the best.

I will also keep posting as I reduce.

Cheers!

David

• Posted

Hi David, 

Thank you for responding, and for the well wishes.  Best of luck to you also.

Thanks

Nat 

• Posted

Sounds like a plan! smile Managed to not cry (yet) today so fingers crossed! How are you feeling today? 
    • Posted

Morning! Had a bad one yesterday, will report soon in a general post.

Re crying, I didn't cry for 8 months and then it was a combo of things internal, external etc that brought the first tears in all that time. Obviously, in my case, Cita inhibited that emotion to work on the rest of them, supressing the Celt in me, I guess! To show how good it did inhibit that emotion, this Christmas past was the first time in 30 years I haven't cried during "It's A Wonderful Life". I still get a slight wave of that emotion wash over me, but it is gone as soon as it comes!

Later!

David

• Posted

Ah, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad one - hope today is better for you.

I too haven't cried in months, until coming off the tablets at which point I've done months worth of crying!! And likewise, I tested the theory with a guaranteed tear jerker that gets me every time...."The Notebook"......not a single tear.

Take care,

Nat 

• Posted

Hi

I had exactly the same when I came off - couldn't stop crying and would blub at anything.  I've posted this a few times now and hope it may help you:

When you're off Citalopram try a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they mustn't be taken together.

They're a natural serotonin - they really helped me and I felt quite well on them.  I did however restart Cit last year due to stress of family illness as didn't want to become I'll again, but am now back down to 5mg and will stop eventually and go back onto 5-HTP.

The book is very interesting and explains about 5-HTP.   Apparently it helps with obesity too, but I was only interested in the depression side of it.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you so much, I will look into that!! I would like to be 3 full weeks clear of the before starting anything like that to give the drug time to leave my system so gives me a bit of time for research.

Thanks again. 

x

• Posted

I researched it well to before deciding ..... am pleased I found it.

Wishing you the best

K x

• Posted

Hi there, I just wanted to say Hi and hang in there. My partner is on Citalopram 40mgs and has been told to expect big side effects when coming off. Can you call your Dr and discuss or perhaps your counsellor? Your partner probably struggles as much as I do to understand but I do knowcommunication is key. Keep talking if you can and keep breathing, step by step, day by day. I wish you all the best.
    • Posted

Thank you Suzi, I didn't realise the effects would be quite so bad having weaned off them.  I think I will call the Dr if things don't settle.  Thank you x
  • Posted

Hiya,AmazonianNat ,

I understand completely. Everything you've said I have felt.

I'm 3 weeks tablet free and everything is looking good.Ive been on holiday for 10 days and I've got 4 days left but the first 6 days were a bit rocky and I was crying over nothing.

Dig deep.That's what I had to do.It wasn't easy.

Hope this is a help to you and you can chat anytime,

Take care,

Shazzer.X

• Posted

Hey Shazzer,

Thank you for replying, hopefully it will improve....to be honest, it can't get much worse!! Thank you...really appreciate that.

Nat x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.