So scared of als/mnd

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know i keep posting, but its gotten to the point where im telling people that im dying and that theres no point in doing things anymore. Such as college, relationships and going out. Im convinced i have some kind of MND. My arm and leg doesnt feel right, like sometimes tight, or sometimes achy and  pretty useless plus i have muscle twitches most of the time. I have a hospital appointment on the 12th and i really do not want tp go because i know they are going to say i have some neurological problem. And that its going to kill me. Everyone keeps saying there is nothing wrong but they do not know how i feel everyday. Im only 16 i just want my life back. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Emily:  Feelings are not always facts...I realize that you are the only one who knows how you feel, but please, sweetie, don't borrow trouble by telling people that you are dying...that is up to the doctors to decide...You are young and healthy, and if the doctors tell you that...PLEASE believe them....It is probably just pesky anxiety...I have it all the time....HUGs.
  • Posted

the hospital visit next week will be ideal as will put your mind at ease or, if , and is an extremly big if, it is anything serious then the doctors can deal with it.
  • Posted

Anxiety can play massive tricks with us. So before you write yourself off, find out some FACTS rather than imaginings. Gather your courage and go to the hospital appt. I am sure they will be able to reassure you that there is nothing wrong except anxiety. Maybe it's worth asking yourself though, if they do say there is nothing wrong, will you believe them? Before you go, write a list of questions that you need answered to really reassure yourself, no matter how silly they seem, and get answers to those questions from the professionals. You are not a doctor or a neurological expert so you do not have the training or knowledge to be able to make a diagnosis of your problem. Leave it to the professionals to find out. That's what they are there for. They are the experts and if they tell you there is nothing wrong then you must try to believe them. If they tell you it is anxiety then you will know what the problem is and you can do something about it. 
  • Posted

Hi Emily, I agree with the posts, we have exchanged posts so you will no doubt know where I'm coming from here but can i ask whether you accept or not that you have Health Anxiety which is a phychological illness?

I know that you will be given the all clear by the hospital but until you address your health anxiety which includes accepting you have the condition then you will struggle to get out of this cycle of irrational thinking over your health.

Im sorry if I sound brutal but it's not my intention and as an anxiety sufferer myself I know how horrible it can be but my "diagnosis" is that once you have your health anxiety under YOUR control you will be able to live your life again without fear.

I suggested keeping a diary if you recall and wonder whether you have made a start?

it involved writing down the symptoms and what you thought it would be "worse case scenario" what you thought was going to happen, then review it a werk or so later or after you received an all clear and ask yourself was it heakth anxiety... If it was put a BIG TICK next to health anxiety.

Before you can make a start you need to believe and accept you have health anxiety.

Would you be able to tell us if you believe that you have or not, there is no wrong or right answer btw and nobody will judge you in anyway petal.

nxx 

• Posted

I do think i have health anxiety yes because ive been through many different illnesses..i even thought i had ebola for about two weeks, and told my college tutor this. Stupid i know! But i still believe there is an underlying issue. Ive been thinking back to where it all started which was on holiday when i read the fault in our stars, and my stepdad was also saying that we are going to die soon according to some facts from a book he was reading. We also passed plenty of graveyards, which made me think about death. I have always been a very paranoid, anxious person, and in the past have believed i had appendicitis after a friend having it. But then i think maybe this is real, and maybe there is something wrong. My mum isnt supportive at all as earlier she shouted at me and said she wished there was something wrong with me. So now im considering just moving out.sorry this is really long winded. 
    • Posted

Hi Emily, that's a great start really knowing you have and how it all began and that you know your an anxioys person.

If you hadn't read the book or your step dad didn't scare you do you think you would be thinking this way? 

The good news is that you can be treated for this and with CBT etc you will get better.

Your mum isn't supportive because she doesn't understand health anxiety, print her something she can read about it and tell her that this is what you have and the effect of the condition is that you convince yourself that you have illnesses you don't have but in your mind due to the illness you cannot shake it off. It is a recognised psychological illness so on one hand she is right that what you think you have you don't but she isn't when it comes to thinking there is nothing wrong with you.. You do have a medical condition.

You can't get better on your own so you need support from a psychiatrist, talking therapy and medication for anxiety disorders.

unfortunately the books and graveyards have triggered your normal anxiety levels above what you can cope with and the result is that everything has become blown out of proportion and the heightened anxiety has latched onto your health and is sucking it all in.

You could say that everytime you get a notion that you have a desease that it's down to your health anxiety but I know this won't stop you thinking your ill which is why you need the help from a professional.

Would you be able to tell us what help your getting medically? 

Btw... Your stepdad was reading something that isn't factual, nobody can read or see the future.

Neil 

• Posted

I have started cbt, but it was only the assessment, and they havent got back to me with another appointment yet, i just hope they do it soon because i prefer talking to someone who undersands rather than my mum who doesnt! 

I also remember just sitting there eating y dinner then all of a sudden id get really warm and panic thinking i was dying, then id have panic attacks at night. But now because  i dont have it makes me think its something way more serious which is why ive been through so many diseases,then after realising that i do not have a brain tumour as ive had 2 eye tests i latched onto something else to replace that. I just hope going to hospital will solve all of this.

• Posted

I wanted I let you know that I know how you feel. I began being paranoid since I was 10 years old and they read my hand and told me I was gng to die young. No one believed that guy since he told everyone else they were living for a long time except for my dad and I but that my dad could live longer with one of his treatments. & well that's jst silly to think u can gain a longer life with treatments from him but yet at only 10 years old I was too young to comprehend. Still ever since then I became so anxious and worried. & now at 23 years old I began feeling this intense fear my left arm numbing and I went to ER were they said everything was fine and sent me home. Still I felt so weird, tired, shortness of breath and just not myself. Well this was a year ago and I still do not feel myself. Like you I've been to many doctors and because of my age they don't take me serious. I have so many symptoms and I always feel like im gng to die. I get extreme heart palpitations and I'm scared there is something wrong with me. I knw I'm not much help but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
    • Posted

Hi Emily, glad you doing CBT, but you should have your next appointment really so ask your GP to chase it up or contact them yourself to chase it.

The Symptoms you had at the dinner was typical anxiety symptoms, you say you don't have those symptoms now or was this just the panic attacks, either way the symptoms are there they are just different in so much as the symptoms are manifesting in your belief that you have a serious illness, you probably do have other symptoms which includes those tingling and numbness feelings but your putting them down to the illness you think you have.

You can't make your mum understand you but I would print some information off about health anxiety and ask her to read it.

In the mean time chase up your CBT and get an appointment, you can send an email to your Drs surgery telling them that you've had an assessment but not heard anything and can they chase it and let you know what's happening asap. N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.