So scared to take meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, sooo I have really been struggling with health anxiety.... really bad. I obsess over my heart and brain, like alot. I have been having excruciating headaches, that I know are caused by anxiety because when Im focused or worried about something else... the pain goes away. anyway... my neaurolgist prescribed a med called Nortriptyline. I was eager to try and positive but now after reading the pamphlet, my anxiety is sky high.... because one of the side effects COULD be... QT prolongation, which is a heart arrythymia!! does anyone have any advice, so I can get over this and take meds and feel better!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi christina, i am sorry your going through this. i too suffer with severe anxiety and yes over my brain and heart. i have had multiple teats for my heart but my dr is reluctant to refer me to a neurologist even though i have severe heqdaches. im convinced its a tumour or unruptured aneurysm as the headache is always in the same place and im only headache free for a few hours a day. i feel lost as my dr wont help, i cant afford to go private and im so scared im going to die and leave my children without a mum

• Posted

Hi Christina,

Sorry to hear about your headaches. I have been prescribed antidepressants for my anxiety and medication for my stomach problems but I am also too scared to take them. I always read the side effects first and worry I'm going to be in the minority that get every one.

My advice would be to focus on the positives of this medication and how it can help you. That's what I try to do but I know it is easier said than done. Few actually get such side effects and the pros can outweigh the cons. Hope you feel better soon 😃

• Posted

CHRISTINA, DON'T WORRY. THIS MEDICATION HAS BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME . A SAFE MED AND ESPECIALLY AT LOW DOSES NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO YOU. THIS MED HAS BEEN WELL TESTED AND USED SAFELY AND WIDELY FOR MANY , MANY YEARS AROUND THE WORLD. . THE QT PROLONGATION PRIMARILY SIDE EFFECT IN THE ELDERLY. WOULD BE EXTREMELY RARE THOSE UNDER 65. SIDE EFFECTS IF ANY WOULD BE MINOR AND NOT LIFE THREATENING SUCH AS CONSTIPATION OR DRY MOUTH. EAT SOME PRUNES FOR PRECAUTION IF CONCERNED. . ALSO NO EXCESS SUN BATHING WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU ANYWAY. MED IS A WISE CHOICE BY YOUR DOCTOR. NO WORRIES.

• Posted

thank you so much for your reply!! yea Im going to start taking them, I don't know if I can take another minute of these types of headaches!! I have to give it a shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.