So what is the answer if you need treatment for long term depression?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm in a quandary. For 20+ yrs I've taken seroxat as a long term (I've always assumed, naively, lifelong) treatment for recurrent major depression. Increasing episodes of anxiety led my GP to suggest a change to mirtazapine. It's been a disaster. I'm now sleeping less that 2 hrs a night, have uncontrollable sweating, gut problems extreme anxiety and confusion, etc etc. Im Def coming off mirtazapine asap. GP wants me to go back to seroxat but I cannot bare to go through the hell of wd.....excruciating brain zaps, muscle spasms etc again. I've spent a lot of time reading, and I honestly can't see that there is any acceptable long term medication. Anyone got any ideas, thoughts, lights at end of long tunnels...? my fear is I will relapse into the original disease pattern. damned if I do, damned if I don't. Would love to hear any ideas! 🙂

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I am no expert but I woulld be looking at what is causing depression and anxiety. CBT therapy is good but I guess you may have tried that.  I think GP's have no idea about treating depression/anxiety and just feed you pills.  A referral to a psychiatrist may be whats needed as they know different combos of medication that GP's are not aware of that can help.  I ended up seeing one and  they sorted me out.  I was originally on sertraline and it sent me loopy.  I could not sit still or sleep, it was awful.  I now only take 15mg of mirt and 50 mg x 2 of pregablin for my anxiety and that seems to keep me right.  I have done CBT therapy which helps the way you think about things. I'm not 100% but getting there.  Ive taken to doing outdoor stuff, walking, bike rides and being aware of whats around me and being thankful for it.   They mirtrazapine can take a few weeks to get into you system so maybe coming off your original meds and going straight onto to mirt may be causing some side effects short term.  I would have a chat with your GP or see another GP if you have no faith in the GP you were seeing.  Then discuss your options.   Everyone reacts in different ways to meds so its really impossible to say what might help without seeking medical advice.  I hope you get sorted. out soon. 

• Posted

Hi, how many mg of mirtazapine have you been prescribed? I was prescribed 30mg to start with and felt pretty much the same as you have described so I halved the tablet and so far it's been a lot better, I also take 10mg propranolol in the morning, I've been able to go out of the house after a month indoors, it's early days but fingers crossed I hope you find the best thing for you, its a horrible illness and hard to understand.

• Posted

I'm on 15 mg of mitt and 50 mg x 2 daily of pregablin which helps my anxiety. It took a couple of weeks for things to settle down. Its working well for me. I take propanolol x 30 mg in morning before I'm off to work as anxiety is worse in the mornings. If u Google anxiety worse in mornings it tells you why which had helped me cope with it. I hope to taper off everything by this time next year as I know its a slow process coming off these meds. Give them a shot they do work and can help you think straight and calm down. Hope u get sorted.

• Posted

Have been coming down off 45mg mirt. Gp suggested going back to the seroxat to get rid of what seems most likely to be largely seroxat WD symptoms but needed to stage the mirt withdrawal first. Can barely function let alone make sensible decisions about my meds. Yes have propranolol too tho it makes me feel v weak. I want to come off the seroxat very much more slowly but what would be the alternative? Every med I read about sounds like a potential nightmare and with nothing it seems logical that I would go back to the pattern of depression pre seroxat. Im finding it really difficult to see anything other than rock and hard place. Sorry to be so negative! Depression talking!
    • Posted

To be honest I've only just gone on mirtazapine in the last few weeks, I was taking 40mgs propranolol for around 15 years and unfortunately after being diagnosed with bronchiectasis I was told that taking propranolol can affect the airways and my respiratory nurse told me to come off them, well that's when the anxiety kicked in...

Ive always been fine on propranolol I just take 10mg in the morning now. So I hope I can find the right medication as it seems that there are so many out there.

I hope you get an answer and feel better soon.

• Posted

May I ask if you've had any side effects from the mirtazapine? I think the seroxat withdrawal symptoms have swamped any mirtazapine side effects for me but it would be good to compare with your experiences. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi I find taking 15mg so much better than 30mg as I had the same feelings as you described, not being able to sleep and quite disorientated, it's only been a few weeks and I've been signed off work for a few weeks so my real test is going back as that's where I'm going to be able to tell if I'm OK. As you have been feeling like this for such a long time I would be inclined to speak to somebody else another gp perhaps?

• Posted

Thank you. You too. I think I will have to go back to seroxat ½ dose to get rid of the insomnia/withdrawal symptoms. Try to get back on a level then work out what to do next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.