So worried about swollen knee 12 wks post op.

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am twelve weeks post TKR and my knee swells as soon as I walk on it. It is also painful. Otherwise I can sleep fine, walk without crutches or sticks, maybe with a limp, and go up and down stairs. 

I saw a consultant today about another problem I had and he noticed how swollen my knee was. He said to try and see my consultant earlier than December. I am worried now.Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea what is happening? 

I am so disheartened. I am worried something is wrong.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Don' t worry - the same thing happened to me and my doctor sent me to A&E (i was there for around four hours) which was a complete waste of time . Really my doctor hadn't got a clue about prosthetic knees and I suspect it's the same with your consultant

• Posted

Hello hope you get well soon, swelling is norma, but they will not dought take xray and mybe ultrasound and make sure there is no blood clots, make sure you elevate it and use a lot of ice.
  • Posted

It's been 11 weeks since my tkr and my knee is still swollen all the time. It seems like the second I'm up on it it swells right up. I just saw my doctor yesterday and he said to make sure I'm doing Motrin 3x a day but that this is all just part of the (long!) process!

• Posted

I hope you're icing as much as possible. Also gotta keep moving because you have to try and break down the scar tissue. Unfortunately some of that swelling is actually built up scar tissue. You can do a little activity and ice . That works better than one big workout.

• Posted

Hello don't be disheartened we all have been where you are. The swelling is the the body's way of protecting the surgery. Your doing too much. I get the same swelling I can be lying down for hours and get up to go to the bathroom and by the time I get back to my bed I have swelling. It's very irritating but it's a part of my healing process. I'm about 12wks post op too. The key to keeping your sanity is not compare your recovery to anyone else. Come to this forum and tell us how you feel because we understand what your going through.

• Posted

Hello wondering how your first 12 weeks were for you? Can you relate your whole experience ? I might hv to hv a TKR and I am not sure wether I can tolerate all that pain and being allergic to most pain pills. Thank you evie
    • Posted

Hello Evie. I was very frightened and apprehensive before the op but knew it had to be done. I'm allergic to most painkillers or they don't work. It was hard the first two weeks because of this. I then started taking Ibuprofen and Codydramol  which I  knew I could tolerate along with an Omeprazole to help line the stomach before the Ibuprofen.This helped and wish I'd taken them at first.It wasn't agonising pain Evie, it was tolerable.The best way to get comfortable is to have your leg/legs up on a pillow from the word go. Don't put a pillow just under the knee, it has to be under the whole leg.

It's a long slog Evie but it wasn't long before I could get out and about. I could climb stairs normally at six weeks but I did have some  pain. Don't worry about the exercises if you are in too much pain. Just gently do what you can. The bend and straightening are important, just do a bit at a time.Swelling has been my biggest problem and still is. I ice, ice and more ice.

If you can build up your quads on an exercise bike before the op it does help.I cycled before the op, not much but I'm sure this helped for after the op. By the way I'm seventy seven, If you are younger you may heal faster, Good luck with your op, just come on here with any questions.It's a great forum with many helpful posters.

• Posted

Wow Saralice .. sounds like you're going great for 12wks post op... my first TKR is now 1yr post op and still swells all the time and even more so that I'm nearly 4wks post op with my 2nd.  I did have alot of issues along the way and I was not and now with having the 2nd one done am useless on stairs .. altho have to admit it I don't have any that I need to use.  Do you ice?  Ice is your best friend during your recovery esp after any physical activity and then also just to help with pain.

• Posted

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I'll see if I can bring forward the appointment with the consultant.Otherwise I will continue to 'plod' on and hope all will be well eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.