SOD or just few attacks of bad luck

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago, had several painful attacks  at the end of my pregnancy until they left me with bad pancreatitis so gb had to come out as a emergency.

After the operation, I suffered with many unwanted symptoms ( esophageal spasms, chest pains, lost a lot of weight, etc) . A year later got h pylori and since then I'm trying to get rid of it.  Anyway, last year while suffering from gastritis, I had three episodes of the worst upper abdomen I thought it was just the h pylori and the damage it caused in my stomach so soon I forgot about it. Then in August  this year, after I had a medicine for a toothache ( co codamol) which I believe is an opioid class drug, I started having the same horrific pain all over again that lasted around 30 m. I research and found out that opioids such morphine, codeine etc can cause spasms in biliary duct and the sphincter at the end closes tight causing the digestive juices to flow back to pancreas, liver and stomach. This causes intense stomach pain exactly what I felt 4 times before. Its called sphincter of oddi disfuction. My question now I know I can have this anytime, I should avoid opioids as I found out the worst way, if I need other pain medication what else can I take that it's safer? I have hip arthritis at 41 and sooner or later I'll need surgery. And I had 4 attacks of spasms since my gb surgery, so do I have SOD or it can be avoided if I'm careful with my diet, and stay away from certain meds?

thanks and good health 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leni75

Do you take your painkillers with food....this usually will stop the pain..i take tramadol which is an opiate and i learned to eat half of my lunch or dinner then take the painkiller then eat rest of meal ...and that stopped the pain....if not you can get painkillers in patch form whereby the painkiller will go straight into your blood stream bypassing your digestive system....discuss this with your doc....best wishes....

• Posted

I actually took the codamol just before I ate a light meal and still gave me an awful attack of pain 10/15 m after very similar to the gallbladder attacks I had before. I mean is this common to happen to people with no gb? I never had a problem with this type of drugs before in my life. Today at my endoscopy exam I told them about this and one doctor said she was giving me Fentanyl but I knew it's an opioid painkiller so I said no just the sedative which is a benzodiazepine. I'm really scared one day I'll need a pain medication and patches are not available or don't have same effect as the pill form.  Life is really a struggle for me in terms of my health, but I've to keep going as strong and positive as I can be. Thanks again Lilian x

• Posted

Hi Len75

Don't take the tabs just before a meal....take it half way through a meal..so then there is food in your gut before you take the tab and then food after the tab ..so glad you declined the fentanyl!....ask your doc about the patches you'd get a pack of them..i would give them a try....that's what will get you where you want to be..keeping positive!!....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.