Some days I feel quite ill

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm nearly 5 weeks post TKR op. My scar has healed amazingly well and I'm doing my exercises, taking medication and using ice packs regularly. Starting physio in a few days time. However, some days I feel really unwell. Hard to explain but it isn't very nice. I don't sleep much so overall tiredness probably doesn't help. I walk around the house without crutches and go outside for 30 minute walks with crutches. I take 8 co-codamol tablets per day, 30mg/500mg strength and nothing else. Anyone else experienced this feeling of generally being unwell?

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Everyone seems to be different yet somewhat the same when it comes to this unexplained feel I h. Sometimes it's a feeling of nausea but you really aren't sick at your stomach. Then there are the chills that come over the body but there is no fever or indication of infection. The body and brain seem to be constantly readjusting to normal albeit a "new normal". Part of it could be the cleansing of the anesthesia even if you didn't have a general. Let's face reality, you still have a foreign object in your body that has to be accepted. I have had several of these over the numerous surgeries. Some last just a day or so and some last longer. I have never had anything but a general anesthetic ( I'm slow but could still outrun anyone that wanted to start chopping and sawing on me without knocking me out first) so can't speak to the spinal blocks and such. You are still very early in the process. Go slow, rest as much as possible, eat when's Dr you feel like it and get plenty of fluids. Give it another 6 weeks and a lot of this will pass. No one can promise you there won't be other unexplained things pop up that will make you scratch your head and ask yourself"where the heck did that come from?" I'm sure the Dr's didn't discuss the difficuities you would come across as they hack, chop and run to the next guy. Be patient, this can be a year or so before you really feel completely human again. Stay with the group and ask any questions that can help clear your mind. This is a great, compassionate group
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't know a lot about co codamol, but eight a day seems rather a lot?  I was on tramadol+ paracetamol . . . .three a day, 17 gr tramadol and 225 paracetamol . . and even that amount I ended up addicted and found it very difficult to stop . . Could possibly be a reason for not feeling well??
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks. I asked my GP 4 days ago if I should come off co-codamol and change to paracetamol but she advised sticking with it as it would better help me handle the pain of exercises and physio. I've to review with her in another month or two. Fingers crossed and thanks to all who commented. Ice pack time now!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well, five weeks is early days. . I seem to remember that pst six weeks I was a lot better!  Only a week to go and perhaps you'll be feeling a lot chirpier!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Still early days for you, I genuinely had only about 10 'good' days in the first 6 weeks. The pain relief does have a benefit but the codeine in the co-codamol can have some adverse effects. It will get better and I think the more improvement you see the better you will feel. I am 15 weeks post op and have in ghe main, stopped taking pain meds but unfortunately still suffer from the sleepless nights, which does get you down a bit and I am contemplating seeking some help with this. It is hard to remain positive but you somehow have to get on with it. Hope things improve quickly for you.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I'm nearly 6wks post TKR and am having the same experience as you. Some days I feel lousy but can't put my finger on why. Others, I feel like I'm never going to be normal again. I've now finished my 3wks physio but carry on doing the exercises at home and I, too, take 8 co-coda mol each day. I also take Acupan nefopam hydrochloride in between , as and when necessary. I was given these in hospital and my GP prescribed some more for me when I came home.

As for sleep, my first week , it was practically non existent but my GP gave me some mild sleeping pills to help, which I took for 3wks. I now can sleep approx 3hrs , loo break then possibly another 2or3 hrs. I'm still getting up at about 6.00am because I'm stiff and uncomfortable laying in.. Being tired is the worst thing. You just can't function properly. I suggest you either see your GP or get some over the counter help to sleep. Sleepeeze or  sleepaide have worked in the past for me. Hope this helps. 

Pru

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It may be your medication a side effect of the codeine 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You say you are doing exercises, but you have not started physio yet. Perhaps it is me, but I do not qute understand that. What exercises are you doing?

I started going to physio as soon as I was discharged from hospital and certainly by 3 weeks so 5 weeks seems quite a long wait to me.

I had TKR 3 years ago and it has been successful. Yes I was tired afterwards and had problems sleeping but I do not remember actually feeling unwell It is still very early days and I hope athis will settle in time.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there dode,

I'm around the same time post op as you, and yep, have days of 'NQR' (not quite right) too. No apparent thing I can blame it on, it just is what it is. I still do all my exercises, always once a day, most days twice but sometimes, I give myself time out. My sleep is pretty much ok but I always wake at around 6am, stiff and sore. I also wake up through the night feeling sore, but then fall asleep again.

I believe this is all just par for the course, and we have to just work through it. Keep exercising, ask questions of your doc and surgeon when you see him next, as I will be next week. Sleep is one thing, my meds are another thing I'll be questioning as I heal more and more post operatively.

Just know you'll get through it, stay healthy, eat well, (I juice loads of veges every day and since starting that, I feel 100% healthier) and rest when you need to.

Cheers,

Lindy from Victoria

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up