some help please - health anxiety driving me crazy!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

I hope you've all had a lovely Christmas and enjoying boxing day left over turkey!

I've suffered with quite bad health anxiety for the past 10 months now, it has been as a result of surgery after I broke my wrist in march.

My anxiety focuses on something wrong with my brain which will result in surgery and severe disability being the best case scenario. Everytime I had a headache it can only mean a hemorrhage or tumour, I am literally scared of everything that could potentially be wrong with me. The doctor has been as supportive as he can be, although he will not send me for a scan as there is no need, and he has even said that he wouldn't risk his career by not sending me if he thought there was something wrong.

Every single day I feel giddy, foggy headed and strained vision. I've started to believe that it is the anxiety that is powerful enough to make me feel this way, but I always have doubt. I've decided to post now as was just on the way back from the shop and managed to bang my head on the car boot and now think I have a hemorrhage (although it wasn't a hard knock at all, not even a mark was left!) 

I need to break this, I am in therapy, and it has helped to some degree but still struggle on.

Hearing from people who are going through something similar or even those who have beat it please reply it would be lovely to hear from you!

X

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I keep getting bad tension headches, ears hurt and I feel dizzy! No apetite. Had bloods done etc all fine but I convince myself something is wrong sad
  • Posted

I totally understand what your going through, my anxiety has come on strong since September, I know there nothing wrong as the doctor has told me.

my stomach plays, I feel weak lack energy.

• Posted

I aren't feeling anxious yet I'm anxious?! It's hell I look so pale, heads kills etc 
    • Posted

I can almost guarantee you kirsty it's your anxiety, has anything happened to trigger you feeling this way?

I really do sympathise with you, it's so hard to believe that all these real physical symptoms can just be anxiety, that's what I struggled with, but anxiety is so so powerful and can bring on all different aches and pains. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying, it's horrible, I feel the same. Although I've managed to go to work everyday and lead a semi normal life it really takes everything out of me. 

Do you take medication? 

• Posted

I went to the doctors and just started getting really panicky for no reason at all!

Do you get bad head aches? 

• Posted

I do, I had surgery on my wrist back in March and as the anstetic wore of I got horrific headaches and convinced myself that I was having a brain hemorrhage and the doctors had missed it. Needless to say it wasn't, but I'm on alert all the time and when I get a headache (which is nearly every day) I panic.
    • Posted

Sorry guys, still getting used to using this hence the late reply.... I literally still go work haven't missed a day having said that it bloody hard! I have been prescribe something last week but bit scared to take it.
    • Posted

It's good you are still able to go to work, that's so important. I'm exactly the same, it's exhausting!

What did they prescribe you?

I had sertraline but only lasted two days, however it does work for so many people so may be worth trying. If you don't like them then just stop taking them, no harm done 😀

• Posted

I can very much relate to this. I started having bad health anxiety since July wen I got my first tension headache and I called my doctor and said I have a tumor, my doctor knows me all too well though and how bad my anxiety is. But I went in anywayd and he checked me out and I believe I did blood work then too and everything was perfectly fine. Last week I started having weird feelings in my head and random spots on my head hurt and again, I think tumor, when I know it could be because my scalp is dry or because I'm under so much anxiety and stress. Your doctor wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. If he thought the need, he would of sent you for a scan. Trust him, he's the one who had years of schooling to become a dr.
    • Posted

Yep, I feel lightheaded daily, and like I am going to collapse but I try and challenge myself and turn on the spot to make myself dizzy on purpose, then I know I'm fine because if I wasnt then I defo would have fallen over!! 
    • Posted

Lately my ears have had fullness feeling, but I also have a sinus problem right now. I have had periods where I didn't want to eat this last week Because I would worry myself too much thinking about having a brain tumor but I finally started eating some what normal again.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply, tension headaches are horrible, especially for the first time they can be extremely alarming.

You are so right, he is the professional, and I have to believe him. 

Had you suffered with anxiety before July?

• Posted

I'm here for support smile and I've had anxiety problems since I was a kid. Then it went away and came back when I was a freshman in high school I'm now 21 and feel so many different things
    • Posted

Thank you, everyone on here has been super friendly and supportive. 

It's good to know that you've overcome it once before so will defo be strong enough to do it again.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.