Some lonely depression help?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and a bit nervous but was wanting some help. Im 22 now and depressed, I was on citalopram up to last year ( I came off them in october). However things havent been going so well, I got made redundant last sunday as my work closed down and have now no friends at all. Whenever I had my depression for a few years, I cut myself off from everyone and drifted away from my friends, I havent really made any new ones, I get nervous talking to people and also (if this makes sense) I get scared of getting close to people because I dont want to get hurt or lose people. I feel like im on a very slippery slope at the minute, I just keep sinking lower and lower and to be honest, im really lonely...and now unemployed :-( do any of you guys have any tips on how to cope with this? Or even just how to simply make any friends?

Thanks

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also, the reason I went onto antidepressants the first time was because I was getting quite out of control, I felt like I was going mad as I couldnt control my thoughts. I am not suicidal, but the problem I had and have been feeling lately on occasion is those thoughts. I do not want to kill myself and I know this, but If im feeling low I will find those thoughts in my head. I know I would never do it, the reason being that I know I am not happy with how my life is going and this isnt what I want my life to be but I dont want to die because while im still alive there is still hope and the chance that things will change for the better, however if I was to kill myself there would be nothing at all, and this would have been it.
  • Posted

I, too, am sorry you have cancer. I had malignant melanoma some years ago. It's a hard time for you. However- I thought we were here on this site to give support and help to a young woman, Racherz, who is having a difficult time right now. I have offered my suggestions, based on a long life and relevant training that might help her...This I will address first. First to your good strong and insightful self, Racherz.

Hop onto this site. Towards the end there are quite a few suggestions about who and where to go for help. It’s more or less what I and other people have been saying. Jaguar too.

"The most effective treatment for anxiety and depressive disorders, however, is the combination of good self-help information and coaching/counseling/therapy by therapists who have personally experienced anxiety and depression, who have successfully overcome them, and who have been medication-free for at least five years if medication was used. Therapists with this background understand these conditions and will (may) be able to help you resolve your condition.

It’s also worth noting that the quality of therapist can make a difference in your recovery, since not all therapists are equal. The experience, training, and capability of the therapist often determines the level of success you can expect." In other words you might have to look around. There are peer groups around too, who could help. Don’t worry too much about fluctuating - nobody has all good days even when they’re not down.

BOOK - 10 Days to Great Self-Esteem Feeling Good Together, by Dr David D Burn (Self-help - Could be useful)

Let's just help Racherz find her way. OK? deee

• Posted

Morning to everybody,

I have not been on for a week or so over taking something personal on here and had a break.Now coming on this morning find that there are discussions going on which again may upset somebody,we must know that people on here maybe sensitive even over sensitive to be on here.I am not taking any sides in fact have skipped. Through a lot of it but can we just be supportive without our medical hats on because probably some of the jargon goes over people's heads I was in medical but that remains confidential.Lets all just be here to listen and support as best we can and at the end of the day it will be the person them selves that make up their mind about medication or therepy.Hopefully I have not upset anybody. take Care

• Posted

Joan152, thank you - you're absolutely right. Let's just go back to supporting each other. That's better in the long run than any pills or potions.
  • Posted

Good to see you back Joan
  • Posted

Morning,

Thankyou Meganpooch for the welcome back let's hope we can all return to the happy forum it was and be there for each other. Take Care

• Posted

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted earlier as I may have helped avoid some of the previous comments. Just to be clear - these forums are an open discussion area and are users' experiences and opinions. It is up to other users as to which advice, if any, is taken and we will not remove comments because someone disagrees with the opinion. These forums are not restricted to "mainstream" or "evidence based" treatments etc unlike the patient.info site which is evidence based medicine articles.

As Joan said please do not get into arguments in the middle of another user's discussion and cause upset. If you disagree with someone's post you can say this but please do not take the discussion off topic. If users wish to carry on any debate then they can use the message facility or start a new discussion.

I'll read this thread in full when I have time and remove/edit posts as necessary to remove the argumentative comments.

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

I'm sorry. I agree. Congratulations Racherz on reaching out to someone else's pain in another forum. To me that shows you are a very strong young woman with a lot to offer. Believe in yourself, you're worth it.

deee

• Posted

Hey Racherz,

I feel similar to how you feel (I think). This is my first time on here, because frankly, I have no one to talk to. I've struggled with anxietry and manic depression since Im 23 now. Its pretty much taken everything that made me, ME, and tossed it out the window to be run over, repeatedly. Its hard, cause I'm always thinking, one day it will be better, but the harsh reality of my manic depression is that it stays with you for life...so I try and carry on, but I never feel normal. Its like I have no middle ground; either so depressed, I'm unable to move on things, yet I will reach a manic high, which is very anxiety ridden, which prevents me further from feeling anything positive, to avoid getting hurt.

Right now, I'm extremely depressed. I too, have lost my job, and had a nasty falling out with my boss. I feel lost especially cause it was so hard getting that job, now I have to start all over. And I am in a downward spiral the past 6 months. I'm living with my boyfriend of 3.5 years, and need to get out as I'm just not happy. But I'm limited because I can't open up to my family because I've been so distant and isolated, they would say it was my fault for getting in that situation (which it was), but I'm forever held liable. They don't understand I was caving inward, not to be purposely distant.

To top it off, I can't talk to people. I can't engage

I can't think, I just freeze. I feel so utterly terrified of what might happen, or not happen, what they think of me, etc...I feel pathetic. I'm on lithium 300 mg, so it could be making me slow, but mostly I think my nerves are shot.

I (think) I know the steps I take; get away from my boyfriend, get my business running...but moving back home will be hard. Any move I suppose is hard, but when you feel like your under peoples' scrutiny, it just makes life unbearable.

• Posted

Using the same number of words you wrote about the negative things you are going through, try to write down the remaining positive things you still have going on. Try to double the number of words even. That's a start.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.