Soon to graduate to a walking boot

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've never had such a restrictive injury where I had to be transported to all my appt's and have been housebound. By the time I'll get my walking boot I will have been in my cast for almost 6 weeks. I've been NWB during this time and will get my walking boot on June 6th. I'm dying to get more freedom by being able to walk down from my 2nd floor condo and to my car. Can anyone tell me what to expect the first few weeks w/my walking boot, and how long it'll be before I can walk my dog?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree with Jenni about wearing a shoe that is the same height as your boot to avoid hip and/or knee pain. I didn't have anything that fit the bill so I ordered an Even-up from Amazon. It's less than $20, and while it's not beautiful, it will help. I wore it with a solid black Saucony walking shoe so it wasn't all that noticeable.

I was in the boot with crutches for a couple of weeks and that was hard for me because I'm not good with crutches. Once I got down to one crutch, and then no crutches at all, things got a lot better. As far as walking your dog is concerned, a lot will depend on how far you want to walk and how well-behaved the dog is. You don't want to risk a dog tugging too hard and making you lose your balance. But, I live in the country and have only outside dogs so I don't have much experience to go by.

Good luck! I hope the rest of your recovery goes well for you.

• Posted

Everyone's recovery experience is different depending on severity of fracture, place of fracture as well as fitness level prior to activity, as I'm sure you already know. But I was in your shoes a while ago, so I feel your pain! I was NWB for 6 weeks after a nondisplaced medial malleolus fracture. Didn't need surgery, and after 6 weeks of boredom and immobility I was finally cleared to walk after X-rays showed the fracture had healed. Ortho told me to get rid of crutches immediately, but I was terrified to walk! First few steps I took while using the crutches as a cane, and it HURT. Pins and needles all over my foot. After about an hour and some pain meds, pain subsided a bit and my gait was kinda normal with some steps I took.

I was given a brace to use intermittently with my sneaker in order to wean off of boot. Walking with the brace HURT. LIKE. HELL. Mostly on my heel. But it was a tolerable pain, didn't stop me from walking. On day 4, I was only wearing the boot a few hours a day (mostly when walking outside/on uneven grassy areas) and I was able to walk up and down my flight of steps normally without a railing. After that, the heel pain stopped, and I had persistent pain along the ball of my foot. That stuck around for a good 3 weeks or so, and made walking down steps pretty uncomfortable. After 2 weeks however, I was able to do a light 4 minute jog on treadmill. Still had a limp, but it was due more to weakness than pain. Also around that time, I was able to tolerate walking on uneven outdoor surfaces with just brace and no boot.

Overall, pain completely went away for me after about a month. Weaned off the brace completely after about 3 weeks. I'm a little over 1.5 months post weight bearing, and just got done running 4 miles outside with no pain. Range of motion is still a little bit off, but only noticeable if it's measured. So not enough to inhibit me in any way.

All in all, it's going to hurt. And it's going to be tough when you first start walking because your knee and ankle muscles will be extremely weak. Good news is, strength comes back daily quickly. Range of motion takes much longer to come back. Mine still only about 98% back. Biggest piece of advice: start putting weight on that leg as soon as you're cleared to! And make a conscious effort to shift your weight into that leg as much as possible (following any weight bearing restrictions you may still have). If ortho recommends physical therapy, which I assume they will, start it ASAP! The sooner you start rehabbing that foot, the quicker that range of motion and strength will come back. Good luck on your recovery smile

• Posted

Thnx. I imagine my recovery will take longer than yours. Luckily my Health insurance provides a physical therapist to come up to my place twice a week for the first three weeks because I live on the second floor of my condo unit, and that is cheaper than having a transport system take me actually to the hospital. I just want to be able to get outside and sit on a bench and look out at the marina. I live in a beautiful Marina and I enjoyed so much walking around in nature with my dog and this is been killing me for the last seven weeks or so being unable to do that.
    • Posted

Dear Christina

You have come through this amazingly well but I'm worried that your running may cause premature failure. Hips and ankles have shortened lives when subjected to any impact activity. I would be thankful to be able to walk and avoid running at all costs! Good luck Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.