Sore abdomen prolapse repair and hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

2 weeks 4 days ago I had a vaginal op for prolapse bladder.  This included anterior/posterior repair, vagina and hysterectomy.    My abdomen feels quite sore and physiologically any pain has me really stressed out and worried.  Can anyone please reassure me that (hopefully) this is normal.  I am taking paracetamol and still taking things really easy!   Hubby doing all the work. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Should not be doing anything at all for first weeks, other than a little walk to toilet or whatever once an hour during the day to keep circulation good.

It takes a minimum of three months to feel a little normal and even then can takes months beyond that for deeper tissues to heal

You need to take it really slow and easy, no lifting anything heavier than a cup it tea. Once you begin pottering about only a few minutes walk to start with, light dusting but no bending or stretching. See how things go and listen to your body. Your body will soon tell you if you overdo things.

Those who do very little and rest plenty with feet up recover quicker in the long run.

This surgery takes months to recover from so take it slow and easy you don't want to undo your surgeons good work !

There is good advise pinned to home page of this group site.

Phyl x💖

Please take care.

• Posted

Hi Carol. Just keep taking things easy as Phil said. Lots of info if you go to top of this page under 'Genito Urinary Prolapse' Just click on it and the page will come up. I had similar op when I was 40, 33 years ago and things were not so good then, much less info about after care. Just heed what the various advice says. Best wishes, Pollyanna. x rolleyes 

• Posted

Hi carol62889

It is very early days for you its very important for you to take things very easy, soreness and discomfort is normal for maybe 6 weeks after major surgery , eating Red meat is good healing food or any protein , but if you are worried go to see your GP or you could ring your surgeons receptionist they are very helpful .

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Posted

Hi, it is all normal. I'm 5 weeks on Tuesday and still feeling much the same. It's still early days. Just keep taking it easy. I get the feeling it's a long job. X

• Posted

Your completely normal. Very early days. You're not even allowed to drive for 1st 6wks. You've had major surgery. Insides full of stitches. At 5wks the stitches tighten due to healing & you will think something has gone wrong, but nope, just par for the course.

• Posted

HI Robyn, I have heard about the 5 weeks where the stitches tighten and there will be pain.  Can you tell me what I can expect in the way of what type of pain.    I am now 3 weeks 4 days and at times I have to take painkillers for abdominal pain similar to tummy gripes or period pain, and then it just disappears after a day or two.      
  • Posted

Hi I had everything except the hysto.all I can say hang on there it is a long haul.Keep you stools soft and don't lift of do anything you not supposed to do. If you feel good still hold back from doing stuff. Keep up your pelvic floir exercises. Hope this may help.

• Posted

Thank you all so much! I have taken it easy for sure but forget now and again not to lift a heavyish jar of something or other or even a liter of milk ops! so no more of that for me!Thankful for a lovely hubby who is doing everything and a daughter who helps with meals. yesterday was a great day for me but today not so good....there seems to be a lot of up and down days ....Thankyou for your encouragement xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.