Sore boobs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've always been almost flat chested - padded A cups to make it look like I have something there wink

I used to get a bit of breast pain just before my period, but last time the tenderness didin't go away and my breasts are still sore 2 weeks later. So much so that yesterday I went out and bought myself some B cup bras and they are SO much more comfortable. Are my boobs growing at last? (I'm 48!!!). Is this pain something I will have to endure for months on end? Will this modest increase in size stay or disappear once this phase of my life is over?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there - totally normal.  It affects me and it comes and goes sadly.  I think it's something that happens until we're fully menopausal.  Well, I bloody hope so.  Mine can be agonising but it does go but just expect it to come and go.  I've had it all checked out but of course, no doctor will ever say its anything to do with the menopause.  Take it from my experience and from reading this forum - it is!!!
    • Posted

I'm reluctant to even go to a doctor about it - they still seem so small that I can't imagine anyone understanding how painful they are!
  • Posted

Yes it is totally normal for them to hurt during this time. I get it in my left boob. As for the size increase, I don't know. I've always been top-heavy. It runs in my family. I lost weight up top at first when peri hit. But now I gained most of it back up top.
    • Posted

Another thing to add to the list of "things my mother didn't tell me" then...
  • Posted

It's normal. My boobs nowadays get so tender that if anyone catches them, I want to scream. I'm big busted so the weight can make them feel sore when I remove my bra. They definitely feel more comfortable when they're supported. I only go about a week or so before they get sore again too. The left one starts first then the right one catches up. It's a relief when the pain goes down. I hope you're feeling less sore soon. 
    • Posted

Thanks. Can't see this improving until after the next period at the earliest. And as I can't predict when that will be (anything between 18 and 37 days in my cycles at the moment) I'm not holding my breath.
  • Posted

I'm in medical menopause and all I know is I was dd before op and now I'm a H. Dr told me Hormone imbalance can increase size.... after I had op!
    • Posted

That's a side effect that you probably didn't want! I don't actually want to get "big", just having "something" would be nice though. Especially with all this pain!
    • Posted

I've heard primrose oil helps with the pain? Luckily I've never had that just the size increase
  • Posted

Hi anon,

I had never suffered with them when I was younger except early days of breastfeeding.

Then from early 40s on and off they also became very full and heavy with my periods.

I was always 34 A even if I put on a bit of weight it never went on them.

Now after meno I'm a stone and a half heavier (even though I eat less)

And my bra size is 36 B.

They stopped being sore when I finished having my periods (there were a few t times there that giving someone a hug made my eyes water).

They have remained bigger and for about 18 months after my last period they still felt fuller when one would have been due.

I was pleased about them being a bit bigger, but now they are not as full any more they are more droopy than I would like them to be.

• Posted

Thanks, that's really helpful - apart from the extra stone and a half, eyes watering and droopiness wink

Seeing a glimpse of a silver lining though with the increase in size.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.