sore chest

Posted , 3 users are following.

im 23 year old diagnosed with anxiety by docs..had 5 ecgs done and blood test came out clear and good..many docs listened to my heart and lungs said its clear and strong..but i have had a sore middle chest for almost 6 months now..on and off..more on that off..i feel it when i move or when im sleeping and tossing and turning in bed..i feel the strained when i carry my son around..so simply whenever i move..im worried its my heart..though i told docs about this..they seem to think its my chest muscles..im just desperate to know if anyone else feels this and its due to anxiety?basically it feels like a sore/tender feeling at the middle of my chest..it feels strained and sometimes pain..this is symptom i cant seem to accept as anxiety..its embarassing to keep going to the docs and they say you're okey..i hate it cause it makes me feel stupid..like as if i cant understand that im fine..its been 8 months since my anxiety..and within the first mth of anxiety i started developing this feeling..will appreciate if anyone could share their similar experience..i just dont know how to cure this..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Whatever it is, it definitely isn't your heart. The pain you're describing really doesn't fit in with heart pain at all.

It sounds like some long-lasting muscle or tendon injury, possibly due to carrying your son around. Lots of mothers get aches and pains of this kind. Try going back to your doctor and asking whether you can be referred for physiotherapy.

Your anxiety is probably making you more aware of the pain, but it does sound as if there's a minor physical problem. These things always clear up over time, especially if you can rest the muscles involved, but I realise that can be difficult with a small child around. Unfortunately, you could be in for the long haul with this pain, but try not to worry about it, it's annoying but not dangerous.

The other possibility is esophageal reflux, which can also be made worse by anxiety, though this doesn't sound very likely if you say your chest feels sore and it gets worse when you pick your son up. I'm wondering whether it gets worse after eating certain foods, or whether sleeping with an extra pillow or the head of the mattress raised makes it any better at night.

Mainly it boils down to making sure you're very precise about when and how you get the pain when talking to your doctor. If you can tell him exactly what brings it on and what helps it, it would give him a better chance of diagnosing it. Doctors are usually under a lot of time pressure, and when faced with someone who says they think they have a heart problem, they're inclined to just check the heart then reassure the patient.

But pleased rest assured - there's clearly nothing wrong with your heart.

• Posted

oh my god lily thank you so much..thats the best way anyone could ever put it across to me..you made me believe everything you say and you wrote it so beautifully..thanks alot..the docs i mentioned this too did attribute it to muscle pain..and yes it does makes me feel better if i sleep in a certain position accompanied by pillows in the right areas..like if i exert myself i would feel the straining feeling like if i try to strech and when im doing how work especially sweeping where it needs me to do alot of motions..carrying my son as well..even when im in the car and my son sleeps on my lap and his head rest on my chest..i will feel the strain after awhile..it just disturbs me alot..and if i stay in a position for awhile and i move from the position than i will have that feeling as i move..like if im sleeping on my back its okey but when i shift on my side i will feel it..and shift back to my back its gone again..and when im sleeping at night i am probably stagnant in 1 or 2 positions throughout the night so when i wake up in the morning the sore feeling will be quite bad plus the anxiety over it it spoils my day right at the beginning of it..
  • Posted

Lily is right, I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder 1.5 months ago and my chest was sore too. The doc told me not to lift heavy stuff and you carrying your son won't help.

I was in a car accident when I was 15 and I hit my chest on the dash. It doesn't hurt anymore like yours do but I always consider my chest a tender area so I'm careful with it. My gf is bigger n heavier than me so when she lies on me I always make sure to remind her I can't hold her weight for more than 5minutes lol.

I'm 28 now and I find that cardio exercise help a lot. Mine stopped hurting when I started running and doing situps.

• Posted

oh okey..how did it take for yours to clear up?its been almost 6 months for me or longer..and it seem to be on and off..today especially its there and triggered my anxiety too..i really desperately want it to be cured..im a housewife and take care of my son on my own so i guess i dont really have a choice..i have to carry him alot..and whenever me and hubby go for groceries shopping he'll be carrying the heavy things and i will have to carry my son..and my son loves to climb all over me..and he loves to sit on my chest alt..he has been doing there ever since he learnt to sit..nowadays i try to not let him climb over me but to stop him really takes alot of effort and i feel bad as a mother cause he just loves to do that and i keep pushing him away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.