Sore eyes, headache and terrible fatigue...help.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

Am 6 weeks on Citalopram, and have awful side effects.

At the moment the worst are really sore eyes, bad headache and terrible fatigue.

Looking for reassurance. .do these symptoms pass?

Best wishes

Sophie ☺ x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

HI Sophie,

I feel as though you should call your doctor and let her/him know.

I do hope all goes well!

Chrissy

• Posted

That sounds nasty I am a week in and haven't had that (but had other issues lump in throat, sweats, sexual effects) escitalopram may be better for you, i think after 6 weeks you shouldnt be suffering like that and this is a 'cost effictive' drug - there are more expensive options that might be better for you M x
  • Posted

Hi Sophie I am going on my 10 th. Week but first was on 5 mg for 5 weeks, now going on 5 th. week of 10 mg of citralopram. The fatigue and anxiety go with it as you will read on this site but as they say stick with it you'll be glad you did and the side effects will go away in time and you'll feel yourself again. I know we want a quick fix but guess we won't get that from this pill or maybe no other pill out there either. Hope you'll feel better soon, try walking that seems to help some, but I know when you're feeling frighten you don't want to do anything, I'm mowing, not that I care to but need too, LOL. Take care, jeep writing, a lot of good people will walk you through this pills side effects, keep asking questions, someone may help you feel better with an answer for you.
  • Posted

Hi Sophie,

I am on 20mg and now into week five. Most of my side effects are subsiding now but still get occasional flair up of most of the common ones you mention. yours should be settling down soon - depends what dose you are on. Do speak to your doctor and get advice. Maybe just give it another week or so or ask the Doc to adjust your dose if its particularly high (20mg seems average). Almost everyone on this forum reports significant benefits from week 6 or 7 onwards to hang in there - its worth it. good luck.

• Posted

Hi Iain

Thanks for your reply

I am on 20mg, l have been on it before a couple of years ago. I can't remember if the side effects were this bad.

Best wishes

Sophie ☺ x

• Posted

Hi Sophie, hang in there they will pass dont be afriad in trying to get something for the eyes I noticed my eyes were always glassey and watering but the discomfort has passed head ache went earlier for me but that goes too its the serotonin increasing and added brain activity causing the headache well thats what one source said could mainly be due to just adapting to meds. Hang in there my friend smile
  • Posted

They didn't for me sad Taking citalopram made my issues far worse than they were. The worst part for me I started getting anxiety attacks on a major level so they kept upping my dose, they made me start to feel agraphobic and I developed a bit of hostility to my partner. I stopped taking them after 6 months. It has taken til now to get rid of the effects of that drug Please do yourself a favour and go and do yoga and meditation and get off these awful drugs. If we were supposed to take chemicals they'd be growing on trees. Good luck but there are natural things out there, research smile
    • Posted

Hi Angela,

Thanks for your reply.

I do yoga and breathing exercises. Any help with any other natural things you know of would be great.

Best wishes

Sophie ☺ x

• Posted

Dear Sophie,

YES THEY (USUALLY) DO!And welcome to the Club!

I say usually as we accept here we are all different and don't (usually) cover everything with blanket positivity. But a little bit of positivity does go a long way.

Anyway, I am 7 months in and it does get better and as long as you try your best (and that is very difficult sometimes) keep posting here, listen to those that are farther down the road (as I did when I joined last Nov/Dec) and you will get better and soon be helping others. In the meantime it may be awful for a while.

As we are all different Cita works at different levels and intensity, some experience less side effects than others where some of us crash and feel spaced, dizzy, full of angst (remember Cita causes hightened anxiety so it can treat it) may be a touch of paranoia on health issued, vivid dreams and the nausea soon drifts away.

By all means keep in contact with your Dr, but always post here for advice, reassurance, a general chat or any support on anything you need while on Cita.

We are all in the same club and once through the "initiation" things will clear, will be back in perspective just don't rush it, go with the flow, enjoy the ride which can be awfully weird, but quite interesting when you share.

Good luck and keep in touch!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David I am a mature lady like yourself who has been sruck down with extreme anxiety.I have been taking cit for nearly 5 weeks now and my anxiety is  worse .I am starting to get depressed because I so wanted the tablets to work.I don't have the side effects that everyone talks about just terrible adrenaline rushes.I was a very sociable affable person and I am being more witydrawn and very frustrated .You have a wonderful partner it seems and that must be wonderful I live on my own and my family cant understand what has happehed to me.I love yout words of wisdom Nd would appteciate your telling me that things will improve.I send you my best wishes  Cynthia
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia,

From what you have said I think that you are possibly experiencing more side effects than you realise from what kind of person you were to how you feel now. Withdrawn is a side effect, I could not go out on my own for about 4 months.

Things will get better if you just let Cita do its job and this will take as long as it does take. Whatever we do we cannot make it happen overnight.

If there is one person in your Family you feel may understand if you talk with them, then try. They may then be able to relate to other members of your Family how you feel and how we all suffer from this illnes, its symptoms and hopefully see why.

I am just lucky that I am doing well and out of the dark and depressive place I was. It helped, I believe, that I have basically had a lifestyle change and am healthier (mind you comfort food has meant I have put on a little weight!).

You are part of a Family here as part of this forum, keep posting and keep trusting that you will get better. Positive vibes!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.