Sore left side after being diagnosed a month ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a month ago via Ct scan. Was sent home and I was on antibiotics for 10 days. Did the liquid diet for 3 days then low fiber. Well barely eating anything. The pain went away. But I do have a sore feeling on my left side. Not where the first pain was on the lower left side but this is more in the middle to top left side. And it's not painful just sore to the touch or if my jeans are too tight. Is this normal after a month? Everything else is normal. Could it be the 2% milk I'm drinking? Sometimes I feel this soreness after I eat something new. Although I'm still

Not eating much. Should I be concerned or is this the normal with Diverticulitis and something I have to live with? Thanks in advance!! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different something's make me feel worse and have pain but might not do that to other people. A lot of it is trial and error. I was advised by a forum member to keep a food diary this helped me see what was setting me off. I now know what I can and can't eat   I have fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic tablet every morning this seams to work for me.  At the moment. I hope this helps. Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My mom was just telling me to keep a food diary. I am definitely going to start that today. I do need to find a good probiotic to take. I'll be working on that. It does seem to be trial and error. I think the food diary will help. Thanks again! Good luck to you!! 

• Posted

Hi Susan felina said you may be able to give me some good advice about which foods to avoid when you have an attack. I recently joined SlimmingWorld and that's when a lot of my problems blew out of control as they like you to eat lots of veg, wholemeal bread etc. I am going to try to eat a bland diet until this attack settles down. I have  to wait to have a camera inside as my stomach is so swollen and sore.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I don't eat red meat nuts seeds skins tomatoes chocolate sousage burgers I can't eat mayo cheeses or eggs   I do eat chicken carrots cooked peas I manage chips I have brown bread I have fybergel mabevarine and branflakes on a morning. Slimming world is good but too much veg gives me to much wind and I get bloated   I have DD and IBS   I hope this helps you but remember everyone is different and a lot of it is trial and error. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Kim

I too am a member of Slimming World and had the same problem as you.  I contacted them online and they sent me a helpful reply.  I understand an article may be in the pipeline.  However they have produced an article on Slimming World and IBS which has similar symptoms which you can look up. 

Basically they suggested I tailor the Slimming World plan to suit what I can and can't eat.  So although wholemeal bread is desirable, if you can't eat it have the same amount of white bread instead.  Same with pasta and rice.  Weight loss will just be a bit slower.  Stick to soluble fibre and avoid insoluble, like skins (potato, apple, tomato, pepper).  It just means roasting and peeling off the skins before eating.  Make sure your veg is well cooked and chew thoroughly.  Although they say eat as much as you like, I do find small meals are best, as I don't get so bloated.  As Susan says, it's trial and error.  I can eat some of the things she can't, but I can't take wheat or gluten.  So far I've lost 15 pounds in 4 months, so slow but steady.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi yes my appetite has been poor since this last attack and my side very sore and lots of bloating, I hope you will feel better soon as it's so debilitating I've been off work for the last two days and after a bout of pain I feel so tired do you.?

• Posted

Hi! I've been taking days off of work since my first attack 7 weeks ago due to being so tired 😩 I've been eating a little more than usual and I can definitely feel it. I've lost 17lbs which isn't a bad thing. I eat much healthy but barely eat. I'm always sore on the left side. Even my ribs. And I'm always bloated. This is just no fun!! I hope things get better for you!!! 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up