Soreness behind knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, can anyone help please, I am 9 weeks post Tkr now and before op when laying flat, always had so much soreness behind knee.   I thought this had gone now that I have an straight leg but it has started up again.  Also soreness on left hand side of knee, like a burning sensation.   This morning I am getting odd little twinges above knee which do go away after a few minutes but completely take your breath away when it happens.   Does anyone else experience the at all?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello...I am 9 weeks post -op too. I'd say every day a new twinge....however if you look back to last week I bet things are better in many ways too. This morning I have a pain behind my knee, I think it will help to do some stretches...I hope. I get twinges in and around the knee mainly at night that make me jump...nerve pains I think. The burning pain down the outside of my knee has to a large extent disappeared now.

How far can you walk? Can you do stairs up and down?

• Posted

Hi, I am walking with stick still and do about 2 mikes a day.   I can go upstairs ok but still have trouble coming down.  From next week I have a programme of exercises when I go to physio.  My bend is not brilliant either. My knee is very tight at times but I guess. It will get better.   Just can't understand the soreness that I had before still there.  I would never have been able to walk like I do before though.
    • Posted

Wow...2 miles a day??!! I am just about doing what I could before the op which was not a lot! The whole leg aches at the end of the day if I overdo it. I try and do the stairs lots of times each day...we have a lot, and as my bend has improved coming downstairs has suddenly become a doddle.

So we are all different...I can do the stairs, but would not dream of walking even a mile a day at the moment.

• Posted

It's weird isn't it?  I am tired at the end of the walk but I couldn't even walk 100 yards before the op without a lot of pain.  I can go upstairs fine and I can go downstairs at physio but my own stairs are quite steep.
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I had arthroscopy, cartilage repairs and micro fracture surgery (so not as major as TKR) but I am now 9.5 weeks since the op and making a steady recovery.

I too have some pain behind the knee and around the inside just above the knee.  At Physio on Monday they said my muscles have been working to compensate for the knee, so gave me deep tissue massage, ultrasound and recommended stretching the hamstrings after my exercise sessions.

So it could be muscular? my suggestion would be to get your physio to take a look.

I also get twinges which can be very uncomfortable - but I think this is to be expected - it takes a long time to settle down after surgery.

for me gentle exercise, stretches, ice with elevation and warm baths seems to help when knee is grumbly.

Good luck with your recovery!

gwynne

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I have a lot of pain in the back of my knée also. I have found that if I take my ice pack and fold it in half and bend my knee over it, it gives me great relief. This week is also the first week that the swelling has been minimal. O think it has made a difference all around. I also get twinge of pain, sometimes enough to take my breath away..haven't found d a solution for that yet though..
    • Posted

god when I think back to the time you ae at now I thought it would never be better but it really does I prove wek by week.  Ice was a godsend in this early weeks.  I I wish you well with your recovery.   Just get as much sleep as you possibly can because that is what aids your recovery the most I think.
    • Posted

I think I am very fortunate, I sleep fairly well now, but am dissapointed in my bend..only 78°. Other than that I am doing well, off pain meds, walking without aids and very minimal swelling.
    • Posted

You are doing well.  I am still on strong pain meds and have 90 degree bend.  I walk with a sick.   We are all different, some have more pain than others.  It was unfortunate that when they opened my knee it needed much more work than originally thought.  I have a long scar too.
    • Posted

I took myself off the pain meds so that I could drive..otherwise I would still be taking them...
    • Posted

I had no choice, I'm single and my daughter lost her license..lol I drive 30 miles to therapy twice a week.
    • Posted

Omg can't believe you are driving so soon!  I can't even contemplate getting behind the wheel yet.  Don't think I could do emergency stop safely yet.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.