Sorry to keep asking but

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since my last flare up 5 weeks ago and following on from metranidazole I am still having pains. I wake up with pain in left hand side where you would rest your hands on your hip, like a sharp stabbing pain, this then moves across stomach to rest above and behind belly button before moving to right and then back to left slighty higher under ribs. This is happening every day and comes and goes throughout the day. My motions are good, I do not feel constipated, no wind or sickness. I did recently have an ultra sound all around abdomen left and right and nothing was found, but unfortunately I am bit chubby in that area so could something have been missed. I am taking windeze and buscopan but pain still remains. Worried about the big C but keep telling myself would pain from that move around and come and go. I also take a probiotic. Is this just something us sufferers have to live with or should we have periods without discomfort. Thanks for reading.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is possible you still have some infection....I have had similar problems in the past where the pain just wont go away; and had to have more antibiotics. I was also prescribed colpermine (peppermint) tablets from the GP to help with the gut spasms (as well as buscopan that you are already on). I had ten bouts of infection and ten lots of antibiotics between Nov 2014 and July 2015. Started taking Acidophilus from Holland and Barratt; a high dose tablet and have now gone nine weeks without an infection. I had always taken Yakult and Actimel before; but I really do think the Acidophilis is helping me. Even when things are calm; you can still get twinges from time to time - frightening but as long as they just stay at a twinge or two and then all is fine; nothing to worry about. Think you need to go back to your GP as something could still be brewing. Good luck.
  • Posted

My first attack lasted 5 months. The post infection inflammation can longer for a long time. Antibiotics won't necessarily be tight approach unless you have other signs of infection such as fever or raised inflammatory markers on your blood tests. I managed to get my inflammation under control by cutting out sugar, rest. Absolutely no excercises that stresses body. A walk is fine but not a five mile jog. There's loads of stuff to eat to dampen inflammation too. Ginger, turmeric see good spices to use. Google anti inflammatory foods, diet for ideas. It takes a good 4 to 6 weeks I find before pain is gone. Make sure you definitely are opening your bowels enough. Good luck with it. You need time to heal.
    • Posted

Wow...a blood test to check for infection? I have lived with this horrid illness since 2006 and only had a blood tests in hospital back in 2006 - doctor never does one; even when I have been ill for months on end. They just give pain killers and anti spasm meds and of course antibiotics, which I now read can highten the chances of getting type two diabetes!!! Wonderful hey?!
    • Posted

C reactive protein can be checked as this is a marker of inflammation and an elevated white blood count can indicate that the immune system is fighting an infection. Both these tests were done at the hospital where I went along with a battery of other blood tests,an ultrasound and finally a CT scan with contrast to see if I had any abcess or fistula. But then I live in France. My gastroenterologist told me that any severe flare up experienced in the future must be properly investigated with scans and blood tests. So far I have had only minor flares with no temperature and lots of wind and twinges but a few days on the liquid and low fibre diet have dealt with them.
  • Posted

I go to a and e when I been feeling really sick. I rarely go to gp. They draw bloods and you get results in an hour. Why do I do this? I work in healthcare and I seen what this disease can do. I also know unless there's a good reason such as fever or positive bloods antibiotics would be futile.Research has shown antibiotics to not work. Well unless you have a ruptured gut or abscesses. Then you need surgical intervention and intravenous antibiotics. The quickest way to find out this is by blood test. This way I don't take antibiotics unless I really need them as the side effects can make the flare linger longer than necessary. You are right that this may cause diabetes. It can also cause obesity, cardiovascular disease. Long term inflammation has a terrible effect on your health overall. Lowers your immune system, makes you sicker overall. There are other complications too that can cause pain. One is adhesions, anyone who has it bad will tell you how painful it can be when your intestine is restricted in movement as its stuck onto organs and pelvis etc. It causes colic and sometimes obstruction. The other complication is strictures. You developed narrowing of the intestine making it very hard to pass stool. Both complications require surgical intervention. Or just conservative wait and see approach. It depends on individual case. I'm so sorry to hear you suffering for so long. I would ask for referral to gastro and surgeons if I were you. Gp can do this and should do this for you. Endoscopy is something we all have for diagnosis and if you not had one please get referred for one. Management of diverticulitis disease has changed since 2006 and there's more help out there now. Meanwhile, cut out sugary foods. I can't stress how well this worked for myself. Sugar really is harmful. It took me around 4 weeks when my guts were really bad before I felt effects of new diet. But it was well worth ditching the cakes for that cause : ). I am 100 %certain I got strictures and adhesions. I'm due to see my gastro tomorrow again and will ask for another endoscopy now. Unfortunately the long bouts of inflammation has scarred me. Good luck to you all my fellow divvy sufferers!
    • Posted

I must agree that antibiotics are harmful to the intestines but you have to take them if you get an infection. They take out all the good bacteria inside and you must replace it or more problems will arise. I have read up a lot as well on this condition and its more serious than people realize. If this goes too long without proper treatment, it can be deadly.
    • Posted

Hi again, I had a colonoscopy last month; only got about twelve of the pouches and the chap who did the test said he was perplexed as to why I had been so ill for so long as he sees people with dozens of pouches/pockets who never have any symptoms at all. Unfortunately because of where they are he said if I had surgery I would have to have a stoma bag for keeps; but he could not see that surgery would be needed (the outpatient surgeon had said he would operate and reconnect so no stoma bag). Was in hospital with a lady who got peritonitis from the same thing I have; she was in agony and it was awful to witness. She survived; but of course with a stoma bag. My brother in law has a stoma because of colitis and I have seen how ill he gets with adhesions. I don't have much sugar, so cutting it out totally should not be difficult - will give it a go! Good luck tomorrow.
    • Posted

Research, 2 major studies. One in Sweden and one in new Zealand has shown antibiotics to NOT make any difference in outcome of a diverticulitis flare. This is why it should be established there is indeed a bacterial infection present before starting antibiotics. Signs of this is prescense of raised white blood cells and crp. Also a fever of greater than 38 degrees Celsius. Some people how ever do not get the raised temperature. I'm not saying antibiotics are not needed at times. I'm saying it should be established to be right course of action for the individual as side effects from them can make you feel sicker. Why take them if there is no good reason? There is a new thesis its actually a autoimmune disease and cause long-term inflammation in patients. Also newer research has started questioning high fibre diet. The bottom line is no one fully understands why it happens to certain people. The cause of diverticulitis and diverticulitis disease is poorly understood still. I have friends in Sweden. One of them recently was diagnosed with ct scan and blood test , crp 70 to have diverticulitis. He was sent home to rest. Returned back after weekend and no antibiotics were given. Just paracetamol and rest. His inflammation was gone and he returned to work after a week pain free. Unless there's a complication such as perforation or abscess you will not get antibiotics. If your flare persists they may admitted you for iv therapy over 6 weeks. You are not allowed to eat at all. All nutrition is intravenous to rest the intestine.
    • Posted

I've often wondered since my diagnosis if it wasn't the contrast that made it worst. I had mild abdomen pain and the ocassional bout of the runs or constipation but NOTHING like after getting the scan done.  Worst 3 weeks of my life!  I was put on antibiotics without a bloodtest to confirm if it was an infection and now I think that they just prolonged the recovery.  Now I constantly have abdomen discomfort and painful BM. most times with blood present.  I've gone almost completely all liquid but still have to eat 2 small meals because of other meds that require to be taken with food. and now after no major issues have started another flare up a few days ago.  Here we go again...
    • Posted

Are Strictures the narrowing of the intestines?  For me no matter the consistency it feels like I'm trying to push out a bowling ball sometimes and just recently started having my stomach clinch up really bad.  I find when I do have mild flareups laying in bed with the heating pad works best along with xtra strength pain meds.
    • Posted

Sunni, what tests have you had? I see you still waiting for your first endoscopy. Have they ruled out any GI infection such as clostridium difficult? Ct contrast can give you nausea and vomiting but there's no long term sideffects known. I'm not saying its impossible its the contrast but extremely unlikely. I think your doctor need to manage this and explore all avenues. I remember you posting about bleeding some time ago. This is a medical emergency. Unless you can see the source of bleeding you should be investigated. Please go and get help. Bleeding is not normal. The cause of bleeding may be harmless but you can't establish that without investigation. When you say you need to eat for tablets, what tablets are you taking?
    • Posted

Hi App,

Thanks for the concern, more than I'm getting from this crappy excuse of a healthcare system. Along with the DIvi I was diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  I was given Metformin for it and it has to be taken with meals.  I've pretty much lost all faith in the health care system here.  Makes me want to move back to Nova Scotia. I've been to doctor twice about the bleeding but he hasn't even looked he's pretty much passing it off to the gastro which I see finally next Thursday.  The only tests I've had were regular blood tests and the CT SCAN. They gave me antibiotics without even determining whether I had an actual infection or not.  Have been told that this gastro is top in the province..Fingers crossed.

Sunni

• Posted

Metformin needs to be taken with food, very true. If you find it difficult to eat make sure your blood sugars are ok. I see that fatty liver disease can give a lot of abdominal pain and the increase of fat in feces can cause diarrhoea. The CT must have confirmed acute infection. The most common blood test fbc, full blod count will see if you are loosing a lot of blood. So if you had blood tests recent its more reassuring. Another cause can be clistridium difficile. Ask your doctor if they think its worthwhile ruling out opportunistic infevtions in your guts. When it comes to bleeding remember this, fresh blood is normally quite bright. This can mean that the bleed is from far down the intestine too. If its higher up it may be darker in nature. It can be mixed in with feces. It can also be hard to spot, making your poo black or dark. If you take iron supplements it can be impossible to spot with naked eye and test for occult blood is needed. I wish they bring forward your appointment. Can't you call them and ask? Tell them you bleed and that you worry. Good luck Sunni
  • Posted

The other person (appedectopmy) could well be right about diet - the fact you seem only to be getting the pain at night would suggest that maybe it is something you are eating in the evenings. Try a food diary to record what you eat and drink to see if you can find a main food group that could be the cause - e.g. onions etc. Read all the entries on this site too; some throw away remark by another person could be the solution that will work for you. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi,

I hate that you are having pain for such a long time. Unfortunately I never received any pain killer that actually worked when I had a flare up. For me I had to go on a liquid diet and rest to ease the pain. I don't know if you have tried aloevera juice but it helps with the inflammation in the intestines. You must find a comfortable position and make very little movement while resting. Hope this helps you and you get some comfort soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.