spaced out amphetamine like experience, clenching jaw

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking 20mg Citalopram 5 days ago. Day one I felt instantly better strangely (psychosemantic?) and had no appetite. It felt like the first stages of coming up on ecstasy, clenching jaw and spaced out. This feeling has persisted and actually gotten slightly worse.

I don't mind this too much, I'm more concerned with how spaced out I feel. I'm a step behind in conversations and very conscious of not being 'with it' when I'm around people which is upsetting me..

My personality has definately flattened, I don't feel particularly humorous as I normally do. However I am not experiencing the low dips that I go into throughout the day which is somewhat of a relief.

Has anyone experienced symptoms like this? I am prepared to stop taking them as I just feel so whacked out..my depression is mild not acute so I'm still not sure I should be taking meds. They have helped out at work slightly as I am able to concentrate again and not let my mind wander off to the dark side..

Do the side effects wear off? Will I feel slightly normal and 'with it' again??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I'm on my 18th day of Cit 20mgs, I experienced the same side effects as you along side dry mouth, nausea, very poor appetite, spaced out (not sure I should have been driving my car in hind sight!!) exhausted, sleeping loads - and haven't managed to get to work mornings were a struggle but as of yesterday started to feel I may have turned a corner my appetite has improved I have a bit more energy, I still notice an aching jaw but this has also eased - I bought some relaxation music and made myself take time out to really chill out the jaw clenching is weird!! But think it's a fairly normal thing for Cit I have anxiety problems too, I feel I have to mention to people re my strange jaw movements in case I thought I was on E!! Persevere with it, if it suits you it will help - there is so much advise on here it's been an invaluable resource for getting me through this hideous dark time and loads of stuff about the side effects and experiences of others...It will get better!

Good Luck -

PS along side Cit I use Lavender oil, relaxation music, walking, counselling, CBT, keeping busy and trying not to blame myself!

• Posted

....and yes the side effects will ease! (I stared to have panic attacks when I started to take it as it heightens the state of anxiety!) & you will feel \"with it again\" although I think I appear manic at times!! people reassure me i'm not!! :roll:
  • Posted

....and yes the side effects will ease! (I stared to have panic attacks when I started to take it as it heightens the state of anxiety!) & you will feel \"with it again\" although I think I appear manic at times!! people reassure me i'm not!! :roll:
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I felt spaced out and very drugged up for the first couple of weeks, just sat on the sofa watching tv! I started taking it at night because of this. Later I got the shakes, bad anxiety attacks and no motivation. These all disappeared over time though x

• Posted

Thank you all..am on my 8th day now and the side effects have marginally subsided although I experience hours in the day when I'm definitely slower and still a bit spaced out. The clenching jaw is getting better although still present. All in all its a mildly euphoric feeling. Had a glass and a half of wine last night and thought I was going to pass out! So drinking is not a good idea I'd say..certainly not a bad thing seeing as alcohol is a depressant!
  • Posted

I am only on my third day of taking Cit - I was completely unaware of how intense the side effects could be, I was only told that I would suffer slight nausea but I am feeling incredibly \"spaced out\" very anxious and have had to sit through work this morning having a panic attack sad

After reading everyone else's comments I realise I am not alone with this and take comfort in the fact that things will get better...I am going to revert to taking it in the evening to see if it helps me out more during the day.

I have also spoken to my boss in work to explain how I was feeling in case I needed to have flexibility in the hours I work, this has certainly helped with the anxiety side of things.

It would be nice to hear some really positive comments about Cit though, just to make this stage easier to work through

• Posted

Just to let you know I have just taken my 28th dose of 20mg Cit and yes I've been counting - I feel pretty much back to my normal self - its been a hellish journey, the side effects aren't good but stick with it (I still get the odd bit of nausea and dizzyness) it's worth it, one thing to say I haven't been at work I've taken about 7 weeks off to work through this and although i felt guilty about it I couldn't have coped....I still get some anxiety but it's more nervousness rather than the full on anxiety and I feel I can cope with it, - it was dreadful and really don't want to get back to that, strange how the side effects of the Cit increased the anxiety to panic attacks! I've had CBT and counselling too which has helped and supportive friends and family....I know when you're in it and going through those dark times it feels you'll never come out the other side you will.... I never thought I'd get there, but I can now get out of bed and open my curtains, eating better, and taking care of myself....

Be kind to yourself....there is light at the end of the tunnel - you'll see xx :D

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this forum when I started Cit. The Dr told me I might feel a bit of nausea and that was it, then I read the leaflet which make the side effects sound horrendous.

What I read on this forum was far more realistic.

It made me carry on taking cit when I was really having problems with side effects in the first 2 months. I do think that Drs should read tjis board as I felt I was totally unprepared but luckily did my own research. I wonder how many dont, freak out at the initial side effects and stop

• Posted

I've been on it for a month and I had extreme nausea with the first two weeks and spaced out feeling. Been clenching my jaw although that's eased although still getting ringing in my ears and constant fits of yawning. Better than running around like a headless chicken.

You do go back to feeling normal, just takes a while. Just wish I got on them sooner!

And a lesson to anyone taking any new tablets, never read the side effects on the PIL's (unless you really have to). You will end up with side effects that are not genuine, plus you freak yourself out! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.