Spaced out and disoriented, why?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, ever since I can remember I have struggled with a feeling of being "out of it" and disoriented. Growing up my friends called me a "space cadet."However lately it has gotten to the point where it affects my quality of life and makes me hate being in public. It bothers me the most at work. Often I can be sitting at my desk and for a split moment I will forget where I am or lose track of my surroundings. Or I can be talking to someone and suddenly forget what I was saying or what the right words are. Like my brain has suddenly turned off. It is really awkward. I often end up staring at a spot without blinking, just completely spaced out. When someone talks to me it takes a lot of effort to focus on what they are saying. This sense of disorientation can come suddenly, like the other day I did a face plant leaving work because I "blacked out" and missed the step outside the door. Like for a moment I forgot where I was. It's hard to sum up all of my symptoms as they have become so integrated in my daily life. If a had to sum them up with a word though it would be "dissociation." Could this be anxiety? I have never had a panic attack and I've never suffered any sort of trauma or abuse. Can a person have anxiety without realizing it? Please help! I feel like I'm going crazy.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

it sounds like derealization rolleyes trust me i know it sucks im currently going through it at the moment sometimes its caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it sounds like you might have a lifelong issue with DISSOCIATION. it can be triggered by TRAUMA that occurred in your childhood. DISSOCIATIVE IDENTITY DISORDER is  a strong possibility. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi AntsyTammi, I understand your suffering;your predicament. I would suggest, if you are open to it, getting evaluated. Chemical imbalances can be caused by trauma. Since this seems, at least from your post, to have been a lifelong struggle, there might have been trauma from your childhood that has not been addressed.

You might be suffering from PTSD, which can be triggered by any kind of trauma. DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) is at the extreme spectrum of how one's brain copes with trauma and usually beings in childhood. It does not "go away" on its own.

Your seems to have gotten to the point of being disabling. It can be successfully treated, but it will take some time and hard work. You wil be able to live a more stable and fulfilling life. I'm not diagnosing you;I'm not qualified to do that. But I do know that your suffering can end. You don't have to live the rest of your life in turmoil. There is hope. There can be peace. There can be stability.

Sometimes it is not until later in life that a person is properly diagnosed. Bi-polar disorder, ADHD and similar diagnoses are ones that usually before DID is finally uncovered. If you are taking medications for your condition that do not seem to be working or that do so only on a short-term basis, DID is a realy possibility.

If you are diagnosed, do not become afraid. YOU have taken good care of yourself until now, and can continue doing so. Life can be Good. I might recommend taking some of the online tests to evaluate the possiblity of DID. Consider the ones from reputable sites.

Whatever you do, get evaluated. The suffering can stop. You are not crazy. If you were, you would not have known how to reach out for help, or even have the capacity to know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. 

You are a courageous person, AntsyTammi. I know that you can be successful in addressing your situation.

Looking at your pic, you seem to be quite young. If that is the case, a growing, maturing mind and body will naturally cause fluctutations in mood, etc. That is perfectly NORMAL. Growing Pains (smile). Give yourself a lot of credit. Find an older person who you can talk to. A good listener is beyond value. The best friends are people who do not always have the answers, but they are willing to listen with their heart.

I wish you well. I know you can do this. I have faith in you.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up