Spacey but not anxious...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does anyone else sometimes feel the days following a really bad anxious time, that they dont feel too bad anxious wise, but feel a little spaced out? Not bad necessarily, but quite out of it and a bit detached?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello jmcg

Glad to hear you are not too anxious today...and yes...these detached feelings, in my experience, can be the RESULT of anxiety and therefore still happen as an aftermath.  We are all different, and it took many years for my professionals to acknowledge "De-personalisation" and "De-realisation"

It is now recognised as an anxiety symptom (thank goodness!), and that is such a relief!  Keep up the good work!  (And hope this helps a little)

• Posted

Oh yes, big time. I'm actually feeling that myself today. I feel like I'm not in my body, though I'm watching myself go through the day. Kinda like a dream. Well that's how I feel when I feel detached. It's weird and strange. Glad to hear you're not anxious though!smile
    • Posted

yeah thats a great way to describe it - it can feel comforting in a way, in the past though it usually leads me right into anx because its so strange!
  • Posted

I also have had this feeling many times.  A friend of mine read a book about this and this is what she wrote to me about what it stated.  Depersonalisation occurs with anxiety because you are so used to watching yourself, questioning your illness, day in, day out, that you start to feel detached from the outside world. Your mind has become tired and less resilient through watching and worrying about your symptoms. It has been bombarded with worrying thoughts and becomes fatigued. When our limbs tire, they ache. When our mind tires, we feel these strange feelings of detachment from the world around us, experiencing an almost dreamlike state, convincing ourselves that we are going mad or losing it. You are not; your mind is just so very tired and just craves a rest from all this. 
    • Posted

thanks sue, thats all very helpful, and totally spot on :-)
    • Posted

Do you have a title/author on that book? I really need to read it, I'm getting tired of feeling so spaced out all the time.

• Posted

So I know that this post is kind of old, but this feeling lasts for me for days, maybe weeks. I dont feel like myself, almost like an out of body experience, and I kind of feel like im not in control of my actions, and my stomach hurts constantly and shortness of breath, and not really being able to tell how i feel, i just want like sleep, and i do have crazy thoughts that im scared of acting upon.. what is this? stress? anxiety? hormones? depression? chemical imbalance? and i get really dizzy when i stand and i almost passed out like 4 times today
  • Posted

hi all, thanks for the reassurance. i was aware of depersonalisation - for a long long time it was my major anx symptom, it was absolutly terrible - i felt it alllll the time - so distressing.  i just wondered about feeling it AFTER a bad anxiety spell, rather than preceeding and during a bad time.  you are all very right, its totally the minds way of telling us to take a break and get some rest, i just wish it wasnt usually such a god awful sensation lol
  • Posted

I recently went to the dr. because of some off the wall symptoms.Of course they said anxiety and depression.Well i knew that i could live a normal life with this disorder so i started asking God for help.Among many things He has been showing me,this is one of the answers He has shown me:To say the least i am outraged!There is a videocalled holes in heaven put out by UFOtv on low electrical frequencies caused by HAARP and the symptoms they cause.
  • Posted

Yep, this is common for me.

I find it a blessed relief and in some ways similar to coming out of a migraine. Perhaps it's a way for the bod to get some time off.

David.

• Posted

I get this ... It's almost as if my mind says: "no.............sorry. I'm done and want to be quiet."

I don't feel anxious wen it happens but I do feel it is related to anxiety as it comes sometimes after bad anxiety or emotional distress.

Have you ever tried counselling?????

• Posted

Hi there. I know it's been a few years but I'm desperate and hope you respond to this. I'm just wondering if you ever conquered your spacey/derealization symptom? I have mitro valve prolapse which started making me have panic attacks about two years ago due to my really fast heartbeat. I went to the emergency room three times in 2 weeks because I seriously thought I was going to stop breathing, but it was just severe panic attacks. Anyways, after I got the attacks under control (for the most part at least) I've been suffering from the spacey feeling. It's almost constant. I feel crazy. I google it all the time, I hate being alone because I'm scared of the feeling, and I can't enjoy my everyday life. At first I was convinced something was wrong with me neurologically. It's still hard sometimes to convince myself that there isn't. I haven't seen a doctor or a therapist. I've contemplated it, but I just feel so crazy explaining these symptoms to someone. My husband doesn't understand it either, which doesn't help. I feel alone in this. It's a difficult feeling to describe to someone who has never experienced it. I have a beautiful 1 year old daughter, a new home, and ultimately a great life. But this feeling keeps me from soaking it all up. I just want an opinion from someone who understands. All these forums I find are old, so I never get responses. Please, if you get this, provide me with your opinion/ recommendation. Thanks

• Posted

Hi there.I know how you feel only too well.I suffer from feeling spaced out all the time as well,and as if the world is going on around me.I suffer from extreme anxiety,panick attacks and I'm agarophobic..I'm on 3 different medications and because I haven't had this spaced out feeling until I was put on a sleeping pill 9 months ago I'm going to talk to my doctor about it and see if I can come of it .Im also going to get some counselling.Does this spaced out feeling also make you lose your balance,then please talk to your doctor about it after all that's what they are here for and every one is different.Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.