Spasms!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi guys had right hip replaced Monday afternoon and came home this afternoon. I'm having bad Spasms in my operated leg really strong and painful not constant but every time I feel I might drop to sleep or I relax they appear and they are painful and I scream out! Any help or advice to control them would be most appreciated.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At this point it's extremely important to stay ahead of the surgical pain. Don't be a hero. Take every med you're given on time. Part of the job of pain medications is to relax the affected leg. If the pain isn't kept at bay, the muscles with contract trying to prepare for it. Sounds odd, but I had the same issue and got a long lecture about taking medications.

If that's not the issue, then you could try adding potassium and magnesium to your diet. Also, if you have a significant other who will do massage, that's a godsend.

Good luck, and if the spasms continue, call your ortho!

• Posted

Thanks Debina I have some magnesium in a cupboard so will try that. I'm taking cocodamol and my husband has given me some naproxen because paracetamol and ibuprofen don't seem to cut it with me its hard going from strong hospital meds to over the counter isn't it.

• Posted

I was given strong pain meds by the hospital on discharge and when these ran out my gp issued a prescription. It is vital you stay on top of your pain Lynne as part of your recovery. Good luck
  • Posted

I had this too. I solved it by taking my painkillers every 6 hours. I set an alarm to take them. 6, 12, 6, 12. and that stopped it. You can get antispasmodics from your doctor if necessary but try spacing your pain killers exactly first. 

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Hi I haven't had hip replacement but I did fracture my hip and pelvis two years ago and due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't had surgery, I did have the spasms and I still do but they have become slightly less intense.

I found like you they happen mostly when I'm trying to relax or put my leg in certain positions it is incredibly painful, for me the pain meds didn't help but I think that's because mine cannot heal, ice helped and not stretching the leg helped as well, I was given diazepam for mine but they were quite strong and can throw me off the crutches as they did recently, have you tried icing or heat, yours will ease off as soon as your more active because the weak muscles are mostly to blame

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I think I will try the ice and see if that eases them alongside regular meds
  • Posted

I had the exact same. The worst of it was about 2 - 5 days post op but they eased off after that. Like others have said, keep up with the pain killers. I found paracetamol best for staving it off. Seems like the spasms just come with the territory. My were cause by the face the lengthened my leg by about 4 cm in the op. It’s just your muscles trying to get back to how they were but I promise it will get better. I’m 11 weeks out now and pretty much back to normal. Better than before in fact. Good luck with your recovery. 
    • Posted

Thanks Andy it makes me feel a little better to know that it does pass I think to be honest I need to be more patient I just feel frustrated and really tired because since the op I've had very little sleep and every time I feel sleep coming on I get spasms!

• Posted

Even though I never like taking many meds, I did take the pain ones at the beginning of my recovery after THR. My doctor told me it was very important to stay ahead of the pain and let my body heal. The process of healing will have some strange feelings that never happened before the surgery. Elevate and ice, too. That does help.
  • Posted

Ooooh yes, I have been having those.

I found pain relief was no answer to restless legs, but I think I am OK now my clips (stitches) are out ........... much more comfortable!

Hang in there, it won't last forever.

• Posted

Thanks, two more weeks then stitches out hopefully it will pass quickly I am really pleased to have it done and am having the left replaced when ive recovered from this one. I guess sleep deprivation doesn't help! It's a bit harder as its the school hols and I'm laid up so I have added guilt of not being able to do anything with them on top of that!

• Posted

Ahhhhhh.   If only, as soon as I got into bed, the itching started again - perhaps it's the dressing, I have one still as it was not completely dry after the clips came out.

• Posted

Just thought, I found that my restless legs started each evening as the sun went down - very odd.
    • Posted

Graham, my restless legs always seemed to start around 9/10pm when I started to get tired. As I said before magnesium citrate stopped it. I have taken magnesium everyday for 2.5 years now.
  • Posted

It’s early days and these are the worst, but they will pass - honest. Keep on top of your pain meds, ice and massage, and sleep when you can. Two weeks post op may still seem far off but honestly by then you will most likely have turned a big corner. Good luck. I’m 5 1/2 weeks post op. Making progress daily but maybe not as fast as I’d like. I’m about to be 54...and was very active until about 10 months ago ..
    • Posted

Thanks Frances I've recently turned 50 and the past 3 years have been really bad where it got to the point I could hardly walk so I am grateful for my replacement. When ice is mentioned can i put it where my stitches are or do I need to put it away from them?

• Posted

Yes - just make sure it’s in a plastic bag wrapped in a tea towel and just rest it on the area. It helped reduce the swelling there. And I used it on my quads on the operated side as they got really tight. And in my shoulders (from using crutches!). Re pain meds - really surprised you weren’t given some. I used them for a week. Still using codeine at night, but that’s now to help with my psoriatic arthritis which is flaring. Op hip pain has just about gone at night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.