Spasms

Posted , 6 users are following.

After having my GB out two weeks ago by keyhole, I came home the next day and was fine for the first week. Then ended up bck in hosp with constipation. Was sent home Monday and ended up bck in last night over nite with severe spasms on my right side in the area where the gall bladder was. Bn told I've got to give my body time to adjust to no GB. But I'm not convinced bn given buscupan and paracetamol and laxido but I'm at the end of my tether. Has anybody else experienced this and any tips would be gratefully received thankyou 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn, it'sas you were told hun your body will be badly bruised inside it usually takes 6 weeks after any operation to get back to normal, gentle walks no big meals just small and often and low fat. You will get there just give yourself time dont be impatient lol xxx 
  • Posted

I got the constipation thanks to the coedine but thankfully I didn't take the max strength they sent me home with after reading coedine can cause all sorts of problems in GB patients.

I did get some internal twinges after my op,  but they have all gone now.  My surgeon told me to expect to take 3 months to readjust. I still find it a bit difficult to sleep on my side, but nothing too bad.

I think you need to give it time, eat sensibly and lots of fibre, drink lots of water - if you were that badly constipated that wont have helped at all - don't take opiate based painkillers if you can help it and rest as much as possible.  Internally you will take time to heal, but have faith that you will heal within 6 to 12 weeks and be back to normal soon.  There are millions of these ops per year and 90% of them work.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

I wish I could help but I don't know myself. It's useful to know what to expect though. The advice on here is great :-) I hope things settle down for you
    • Posted

Lisa, sorry to be graphic : ) but this might be helpful... My doctor insisted that I pick up some stool softener, as she explained that the constipation caused by the pain medication can mean that you're pushing when your entire abdomen is already dealing with surgery trauma, very painful to be exerting muscles. Didn't need much, was great advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.