Spasms and TKR

Posted , 2 users are following.

I read where so many of you with the TKR have horrible spasms.....if you are not getting enough magnesium this is a given.....I know you all had major surgery, but this mineral is critical replacement or not....probably more so since replacement.

I've done so much research on the need for magnesium and this is so true....I deal with a mess hip replacement and get a spasm now and then but if my mag levels were not where they are omg, I'd be in such major trouble.

Do your homework, google: spasms and magnesium

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Apparently Restless Leg Syndrome, spasms and cramps are very common after TKR and hip replacement

I had terrible cramps and the doctor put me on Quinine (not available in the US) not sure about the UK. It is seriously a miracle drug for cramps.

• Posted

Read the side effects on Quinine....it was sold otc here in the U.S. and I think they took it off the market....my relative got so messed up on drugs and quinine was one of them and she lost her total hearing.....she now takes 1000mg of magnesium per day, 500mg twice a day and uses a homeopathic for leg cramps/spasms....
    • Posted

Hi Joy.....yes I did read the side effects before I started taking it. I took a quarter of a tablet before bed for a period of two weeks, then cut down to an eigth of a tablet for a further two weeks.

My cramps were excruciating and I was getting very little sleep. I was in fact going quite mad by the time my doctor prescribed Quinine. It was a drug of last resort. I still call it my life saver.

You can also get Quinine in Soda water, but you'd have to drink an awful lot to remedy TKR cramps. 

• Posted

So do I gather you don't take magnesium, or ENOUGH...many are deficient worldwide...magnesium is my life saver along with grape seed extract both these are giving me much much health results.....
  • Posted

No I haven't taken Magnesium. 

I've never had cramps before until after the knee replacement

What dosage would you take? I have to have the other knee done too, so I will try Magnesium, maybe for a few weeks before surgery, to give it time to build up in the system, you never know. I wouldn't rule out any natural remedy, much better than dangerous drugs.

• Posted

Jenny, if I knew you were in the US, I would let you know what I take daily but you are probably in the UK and I don't know what they sell over there and if you have a supplement source you use....magnesium citrate is a good form, as is glycinate, oxide is the least favorable, and I would start to work with at least 500mg per day and up your dose over the day....I take 1500mg of a complex magnesium product daily, my daughter takes 500mg twice a day, morning and before bedtime,. and 17yr old grandgirl takes 500mg per day....I hope you will do some research on the value of magnesium needs in our bodies....as I said, I've read on how so many are deficient in htis MINERAL.  Minerals are so overlooked by the conventional medicine world....drugs are their main push.

Many take magnesium to bowel tolerance and it can loose bowels, it does for me and that is a good thing for me.    Hope this all helps.  J

• Posted

I'm in Australia Joy. I will certainly research Magnesium supplements and give it a try, probably up the dosage coming closer to the operation. I do prefer natural medications to pharma and I know that the doctors push pills that are quite often unnecessary. Thanks for your advice.
    • Posted

When I had my hip replacement I knew how those horrid pain meds can do a job on our bowel system, so I even took a few in the hospital with me even though they give us laxatives in there....I had a good blow out.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.