sphincterotomy Surgery scheduled

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have my surgery scheduled for next Tuesday. can anyone tell me what to expect post op? Will I be in pain? Do they even prescribe medication after surgery? I'm so nervous after reading everyone's stories.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kmac,

I just had my surgery yesterday and I have been given a

Bag full of medicines - laxatives, pain killers, antibiotics

and instilagel. I'm yet to go to the loo today but I'm expecting some pain. I have been told it's a slow healing process since my tear was very nasty n it was inside.

Good luck with the surgery. Hope everything goes well

• Posted

I was in alot of pain post op. Use stool softeners, baths, alot of liquids smd take the pain meds you are given. It took me a few weeks to get pain free. I had surgery in Dec 2016 and still have discomfort, not pain after BMs. I guess it is a side effect after surgery. Best of luck n hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

So I had my fissure around 4 weeks before I decided to go for the surgery. The doctor gave me diltazem ointment to put on which basically was supposed to stop the spasming of the sphincter muscle. I didn't notice any difference in my case and when the doctor looked at it again,  he realized I had a chronic fissure and needed surgery. The recovery from the LIS surgery was not so bad considering the pain that the fissure caused me. After the surgery, I was in immmense pain, once the drugs wore off, and then felt a bit better. Going to the bathroom for the first time post surgery was the worst. It really hurt pooping, but afterwards the pain was nothing compared to that of the fissure. After that, I healed in around 2 weeks. Past the 2 weeks post surgery, the only recovery I had left was the mental recovery of learning to live without the fissure taking over my  life. It has been at least 3 years since my fissure. I have never had another one and the only  things I deal with occasionally are hemmroids which I manage. If you decide for the surgery, make sure to get a reputable doctor who has performed it multiple times. If you find a reputable doctor who has performed the surgery many times before, I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Best,

?Myles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.