Skip to content
in this discussion +2 following
dan03 dan03

Spinal tap experience

For a year now I have had pressure on my head, blurry vision and dizziness .I had a MRI and cat scan done and found nothing. My neurologist wanted to do a spinal tab to check the pressure in my head. I was hesitant at first but after a month and some research I decided to go ahead as I had the symptoms on increase CSF. I came in on August 10 and was told may have a severe headache for a couple days. I was told of symptoms and what to do. They didn't make it seem like or warn me of the severity that could happen. If I would of know I could have prepare my time off from work. I seemed okay that day when I got home. I was weak and wouldn't stand for to long. The next morning I had a bad headache when I stood and didn't go to work. The next evening on August 11 my headache hurt so bad when I stood and would last for 1 to 2 hours even after I would lie down. My head was throbbing and I was nauseous. I called my doctor who prescribed caffeine pills and something for nausea. Luckily I had someone to pick that up for me. He said by Monday if it wasn't better to come in for a blood patch. After research I wasn't thrilled with that being some people said their blood patch didn't work and headache was 10 times worst. They had to get another blood patch that did work. So the whole weekend was throbbing, intense pain in my head when I stood and lasted for a while even after I laid down. By Monday when I stood the headache was still pretty bad. I took few more days off and decided to wait it out. I felt if the headache was easing up then I will just wait. Only made a half day of work on Wednesday. I work at a desk and would get a bad headache and nauseous and hot from sitting up to long. Day by day the headaches slowly eased up and was able to stand up for longer periods. I was so exhausted and weak. I drunk a lot of fluids and took caffeine pills and ibuprofen. I drunk green tea, sweet tea and soda and lots of water. I am not sure if caffeine helped. Tea did make me feel better when I drunk it after I woke up but still had headaches. August 22 was first day I could sit up all day at work and was just a slight headache, It was tolerable with ibuprofen. I still have neck stiffness and pain when I turn my head to side and feel weak. I gag taking pills now as I took so many and from drinking water. I suggest for anyone going to get a spinal tap to do you research and plan a couple days off from work. The day you have it done, don't stand up at all. Have someone home with you to help you. Be prepared that you may have a severe headache for a couple days to a couple weeks. I advise to take it easy and don't stand up to long. Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and drink lots of fluid.

1 Replies

• annieluckygirl annieluckygirl dan03

sorry for what you have experienced, wish you could be better and batter. 

thank you for sharing your story, it is quite encouraging. cool

by the way, am in nursing beds and health products, i hope my products can help more people. 

Annie +8618832898093.

Every day step by step walk towards your dream, one day it will come true~

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.