Spoiling my life with worry

Posted , 12 users are following.

HI I am 55 with a 16 year old son who is taking GCSE's this year. I am worried about everything from my health to him dying to me dying before I see him grow up. I am crying as I type this as I so scared. I have had health problems on and off and have now convinced myself I have oesophogeul cancer as I have chest pains and trouble swallowing some foods, GP said it was GERD then a chest infection, but after finishing antibiotics still feel no better. I do suffer from GERD and it could be, but I am so sure I am going to die soon as it cannot be cured. My husband and son are getting so sick or me googling everything, Son said at weekend I have not wasted 1 minute of my life worrying about dying you have wasted thousands. I know he is right, I know I have to stop googling but I am so scared of dying before he grows up properly that it is making life unbearable. I will be telling GP all this later, but am not depressed just anxious. I know I sound pathetic but I am so sad about all this.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi youngatheart, you are suffering from anxiety, specifically health anxiety. I hope your doc can help you with this - have you ever tried cognitive behavioural therapy? I found it very good for my anxiety. 

Thinking of you, it is not easy. 

Agirl xxx

PS Do let us know how you get on! xx

• Posted

I have suffered with anxiety since I lost my son when I was 5 months pregnant in 2012. I blamed myself (even tho it wasn't my fault) and then had a very stressful pregnancy with my 2nd son (he's fine smile ) I now worry about every little twinge, I've convinced myself my dizziness and leg ache is due to cancer or MS etc etc the list goes on. It all boils down to the fact I'm petrified I've got this gorgeous little boy now I'm gonna die and leave him. I know how crazy I sound and it's a waste of my life feeling like this but it's so hard to stop it. My family think I'm just a pessimist. The worry is debilitating
  • Posted

I am just reading through old posts and was wondering how you got on.  I know health anxiety is a terrible thing but always trust your instincts as well. I once was sent home from the ER with 10/10 left flank pain.  It was put down to a back spasm without any invesitgation whatsoever.  A week later I went back to the ER not being able to handle the pain even on the endone my GP prescribed and a CT scan showed a PUJ Onstruction of my left kidney that was so severe my kidney was only days away from failing.  Yes, googling can cause more anxiety and stress but also trust your own body as well and get that second opinion.
  • Posted

Hi

Just found your post and I suffer the same as you. I am the same age, I had trouble swallowing and started worrying I had something terrible, googling doesn't help. GERD trouble swallowing and digestive issues can be down to Menopause. I have read lots of forums and many women suffer the same. I too worry constantly about something happening to me or my children. I have also discovered menopause can cause terrible anxiety. I am still struggling with the  anxiety, but have found diet, walking, magnesium supplements  and phytoestrogen supplements seem to help although still early days.

• Posted

Hi Karen, since I wrote this post I have stopped the googling, started as you say magnesium and just generally got everything under control.  I do have days where I am slightly anxious, but after various tests coming back negative and in fact showing the bloods, heart, abdo ultra scound scan all showing really healthy organs etc have stopped panicking.  I think I just got myself into such a state as I was so under the weather with various things it all became too much.  Now life is good, like you I believe a lot of things are down to the menopause in fact one of the forums shows there are over 60 !!!!  My GERD is under control and the lump feeling has long gone.  I have not heard of phyroestrogen supplements so will be looking those up. One thing that I have learnt is that googling is so dangerous and can become an obsession.  My GP said all things on google lead to cancer or terminal illness because it cannot ask you the real questions like what have you eaten, are you constipated, are you allergic etc etc which in nearly all cases leads to a different conclusion.  Thanks for posting and glad you are feeling better.  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.