Spouse of TKR thoughts

Posted , 10 users are following.

I read all of the discussions with interest not one person mentions their spouse, who if like me carries the concern in silence: I thank you all for this discussion group who have shared there experiences pain and suffering: Its good to know that you are all in the same boat, my hubby goes from positve to negative from happy to down right miserable; we own a guest house and are on a very short recovery period due to the nature of the job but I worry about him none stopI just thought as a career Id say thank you for sharing, when we are having a bad day I rush to this site 

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What is worse than spouses not understanding is doctor's and PT's also not understanding- otherwise they'd know what to do instead of guessing every visit. Amazing how many different opinions there are- even with the same person on different visits. I guess symptoms are easier to treat than having to think. ymmv
  • Posted

Daphne31042..I have fabulous support from my 82 year old mother, she  knows  I try my best for a good outcome, having had 14 joint replacements total I sort of know the drill, except for knees, I've only  had one of those... ,!!!

Don't get me wrong if I asked my husband he would be there, but you don't like to keep asking..

my son has dropped everything to take me 3 hours back to the hospital when I had major complication from my shoulder revision.my daughter has young kids..but I guess at the end of the day,each family copes in their own way that works for them. 

Glad you are young okay.

• Posted

Martinarvelo,

i started 22 years ago age 37.. following a scuba diving accident ( Bends)..so I'm onto revisions, and they aren't fun....  the hairs on the back of neck stand up when I hear of young people going running on a new hip, if only they knew what revisions were like,

• Posted

14.  That is mind boggling.  I'm a diver as well (haven't been in 10 years but will again).  Was the nitrogen in the joints going to gaseous state the cause?  I can't even imagine.   Glad you are still here.   Anyway.... take care
  • Posted

Yes Sky1996.. I got the bends from a faulty dive computer , it allowed for wrong depth wrong time etc, catastrophic results. 
    • Posted

Did you at least get a helo ride you probably don't remember?
    • Posted

No helicopter or plane ride a big NO NO with the bends plus i was out in the ocean on the Great Barrier Reef so a slow boat back to shore..
    • Posted

I used to fly gliders.... I should have know that one.  It seems like I've seen pics where helo's were flown in to get divers in to a decompression chamber ASAP.   I've never been on the th GB reef.  A lot of time on Palancar off of Cozumel.   Hope you are doing well now.  I'm just looking forward to swimming!

• Posted

I was on board a boat for a week of diving and basically the dive master didn't want to wreck everyone else's holiday a whole other story I'm great now swimming and water aerobics..hope you are to
    • Posted

Mary I'm so amped about the new knee.  5 weeks out and I walked 1.5 miles (had to ride 2 buses) going to library and grocery store today!  Got a lot of work to do on steps and the stationary bike is coming along great.  I'm just excited.  That knee hurt so bad for so long... Now I'm looking at Zoo rates and Natural mueseum rates, things I just couldn't do before. Simple pleasures. 
    • Posted

Hi

i know just how you feel. I've had pain in my knee since my teens. Compounded when i fell off a12 foot wall in my 20s.

now i walk down 6 runs of stairs, drive to the bus stop (2km) catch a bus to the city and walk 2k from the bus station to work. And then back again at the end of the day. I'm. 17 weeks now and although there's still tightness and soreness. I'm loving my pain free knee!!

smile

• Posted

Suzi, that is great...   it is hard not to get excited about that story.  I know I have a fair way to go but  I can already feel real results.  I know that we are all different and at 57 maybe I'm a little younger than some folks on here.  I was actually talking to the surgeon about my shoulder after some broken ribs and a collarbone and I kept pleading (basically) for him to look at the knee.  He did X-rays and when he was finally in there he said he couldn't believe I was walking at all and that I may have a hard time in rehab.  So far from what I've read, I'm doing OK and we are all going thru the pain, swelling, sleep deprivation, med withdrawal type things and I don't feel alone facing these things.  I'm hoping to be smart enough NOT to push too hard and to concentrate on my weak spots (flexion, quad strenth, steps).  I'm glad to hear you are doing well, and wish you the best.
    • Posted

Thanks Sky.

You're quite right in not pushing anything.

I just listened to my body and never pushed myself. A bit of exercise. Rest and ice. Bit more exercise. Little and often. Never any of that 'no pain no gain' rubbish.

I started to feel human about 12wks and returned to work at 14wks. It felt about right.

I work with a nice young team that keep me cheerful. And as we're on the 'spouse' forum link. I should mention how supportive and understanding my partner has been.

Keep at it Sky. Slow and easy wins smile

let me know how you get on!

• Posted

we snorkeled on the barrier reef when we went round the world (a few years ago!) . . which is deep enough for me!  Saw wonderful fish, massive clams . . fascinating area. So sorry it ended up so badly for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.