SSRI increase anyone ?????

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv asked with no reply before but 15weeks on 20mg 8 dreadful weeks on it followed by 7 normal ones back to been me!smile but boom anxiety and pnd crept in (baby 7wk) Dr upped me to 40mg but I'm taking 30 day 4 and my anxiety is crippling I'm in total panic shaking all the time followed by break downs of tears. Trying to be strong. Is this normal on a increase ? Back on square one sad

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

Stick in there as the same thing happened to me when I had my dose increased from 20mg to 40mg - I had a total crying breakdown & my anxiety got worse & it lasted for about 7 days then it suddenly went & it has not come back - all I have now is tiredness & a little nausea plus a bit of a nervous feeling now & again so stick in there a bit longer & cry if you want to xx

• Posted

I can't do this again I mean I have to but IRS so hard and so scared. Loosing hope now the 20mg failed me it took 8weeks to settle too I can't take 8weeks again sad

Thank you for ur help x

• Posted

Hi Rachel 

it won't take another 8 weeks to settle down only a week or so then you will start to feel better again.  Hang in there xx

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I increased from 20mg to 40mg after 4 weeks. I had the most awful side effects when i first started 20mg fluoxetine so much so I couldn't leave the house I was so anxious, I was reluctant to increase to 40mg for the fear I would feel like this again. When I did increase the dose I felt awful for about 7 days but then felt ok. Iv been on 40mg 6 weeks now & feel so much better. It is an awful thing depression but try & stick with the increase, its worth it in the end to start feeling yourself again.

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

Hi Katie

I am reluctant to up my dose (8 weeks @ 20mg) as the 20mg has just taken the edge off and still habe underlying anxiety/feeling low. I too suffered terribly at the beginning with increased anxiety I would come over with cold sweats and actually physically vomited with knots in my stomach, racing thoughts, sobbing hysterically, no sleep and the worse morning anxiety ever and this is what is making me wonder whether to bother with the increase or just accept feeling "slightly" better.

How did you feel for those 7 days? Was it the same as the beginning?

I remember this time so clearly and scares mento maybe go there again.

Apart from the the 7 days when did you feel the upped dose was working?

Even thinking about it now has me jittery and teary sad

• Posted

Hi Alex,

The side effects I had when I increased the dose were no where near as bad as when I first started fluoxetine. It took about 2 weeks to feel any benefit & even then only slightly. I would have good hours rather than good days & my mood could change quite quickly. Im 10 weeks on fluoxetine now in total 6 weeks on 40mg & feel so much better. I have actually felt happy this week something I haven't felt for a long time!!

Stick with it, it's worth it in the end. My GP said to me just remember the side effects will go, they went initially & will go again when you increase the dose, and he was right!

I wish you all the best for the future, hope you start to feel better soon.

Katie x

• Posted

Thanks Katie

I'm so happy things are looking up for you smile I guess if I want to feel 'normal' again I will have to go with the dose increase and hope the side effects are minimal.

I hope you continue on upwards and forward.

X

• Posted

I took 40 today feel shocking. Dizzy sweaty feeling like it all too much to even get dressed. I hope it passes like urs did I can do a week but not as long as start up again no way
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

I have been recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I have been on fluoxotine for many years then four weeks ago increased to 40mg. I was very tired and really down. I went back to the doctorsnwhich I think you should do and be referred to talk with a physchiatrist who can help you. It takes a long time to feel ,normal, again. Keep thinking this will pass eventually. You can have my email if you want to chat further as it is hard for people close to you to understand.

Take care

Alison

• Posted

I got like this after my last pregnancy too and now this one so it must be related to that. I'm OK while kept busy by people but alone I'm a loon. I'm so scared about the increase I just go over what to do and what ifs. Scared the flu makes me worse rather then better x
  • Posted

It might make you worse for a while have you got much support with the baby too? I have also been prescribed a mood stabiliser too.I am off work at the moment. If you can sleep when the baby sleeps concentrate on you and the baby. If you have family ask them to look after baby or your other child while you getsome rest. Things will get better your body has been through a huge change time will heal.

Alison x

• Posted

Hi Rachel

I haven't had an increase in dose YET but coming up to the 8 week mark on 20mg and while it has taken the edge off, I still have underlying anxiety and feeling low, so Im prettynsurenthe Dr will up my dose but like you I am so scared of the side effects coming back and would hate to feel the way I did at the start of the meds......even to the point of staying at this dose and just accepting this is as good as it gets.

I do feel you have the extra hormones buzzing around after having baby smile to deal with also, I hope you get some relief soon and can relax and enjoy your precious new addition. Keep posting with your progress as I do feel as much as we all look for help and advice we are all in the same boat on here and all experiences good or bad help someone else.

Try and stay strong and keep reminding yourself of the enormity you have just been through.....brought a new life into this world and I'm positive you will get there soon and like someone elae said try and sleep when you can as being tired doesn't help. Dont be afraid to ask for help with anything.....children and babies are tiring!

I have 3 beautiful girls and whenever I feel low I hug them and tell them I love them, they don't understand why mummy is no longer that happy go lucky funny lady she used to be and I want to get that back for them as well as me

Good luck my heart is with you as I know how crippling the anxiety can be X

• Posted

Will this morning I thought stick this and took the whole 40,mg I feel shocking from 20 to 30 so I might as well get through it rather then drag it out. I feel so anxious the mornings are awful, can't bare having to move really. It took 8weeks on 20,mg and at last I was me so I'm totally heart broken it started coming back. Let's hope 40mg will settle and it be over. The anxiety sweats and lack of sleep are not good . wish wishes x
    • Posted

I really feel for you as it is horrible, I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.

My sweats eased upped probably last week from 20mg did yours go and then come back with the increase or not go at all?

Remember you have felt better before and you will again its just so crappy getting there.

Is it possible for you to get something for sleep or are you nursing baby? I went so long without asking for something to help me sleep and felt so much better after I did. I understand this could be difficult for you as you have your newborn but even 1 decent night will help you feel better I think. It also made me feel a bit better after talking to someone and literally having a good cry. It is the worse feeling having this anxiety I actually thought I was really losing my mind so very scary.

I really feel for you and hope this passes quickly.

X

• Posted

I do I feel crazy ! Insane! No I was normal fine for 7weeks after been on 8 weeks but now iv increased I'm anxious and sweaty and scared out my mind. I have suppirt , my parent is here weekend's and evening and in the day my mom is here for me and kids. I feel shocking hope it settles and is not too much for my body to take as I feel like that at the moment. Praying it passes asap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.