stabbing pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis in May after a colonoscopy I didn't have any antibiotics at the time and have been relatively well ever since. I have recently been having pain similar to the one I had before it comes in waves and  radiates to my back. At what stage do I have antibiotics I don't have a temperature and I don't have diarrhoea been having the pain for nearly a week  now any advice please I live in the UK.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I went had a quite severe pain in my left side of admonen and moderate fever symptoms I went to A + E  then was admitted to hospital . CT scan showed diverticulitis with perforation stayed in hospital for a week where I was on intavenous fluids and anti biotics only just got discharged yesterday 
    • Posted

Glad you are ok now and home. I never know what to do wait for it to pass or ask my gp for antibiotics.  I don't have severe pain but it is a stabbing pain

• Posted

Did you have pain previously is that why you went to the doctors I don't understand ?

Did you have a colonoscopy and it revealed diverticulitis or diverticulosis ? 

Have you been to the doctors since you have been having this recent pain and how long have you been having this recent pain ?

• Posted

I was having very bad pain in May and was sent for a ct scan by the time I went for the scan the pain had subsided. the scan showed I had diverticular disease and I was sent for a colonoscopy which showed diverticulitis. I wasn't offered any antibiotics just given some leaflets but as mentioned above the pain had gone.  I haven't been to the gp yet as I was hoping it would subside I've had it about a week now.

• Posted

In my case I had a sidmoidoscopy in 2010  as I had a band fitted to shrink some hemorrhoids on the report incidental findings showed diverticulosis I was given a leaflet which explained the condition .

Last Monday I had severe left hand pains where my sidmoid colon is located the pains got worse and I started getting fever symptoms so I went to A + E they thought it was serious enough to admit me where bloods showed I had inflammation then I had ct scan which revealed a contained perforation potentially very serious . I was put on anti biotics through a drip for a week then released home yesterday .

So I'm not too familiar to what pain should be taken seriously as it's the first time I have ever had pain like that in that area . 

My ct scan showed diverticulitis with complications hence the perforation .

I take it your scan did not show up anything serious as mine ?

• Posted

My ct scan showed up what looked like a collapse in my colon that is why the gastro bod requested a colonoscopy. It was requested that the colonoscopy should particularly look at my descending colon to see the flexibility of it. The report that was handed to me couldn't see anything untoward apart from diverticulitis. I think that I must have had some stool trapped in my colon that I passed through when I had the preparation laxatives a large stool was passed (sorry about that) this must have been blocking my colon but as it had been passed didn't show up on the colonoscopy.

• Posted

Did the report say you had diverticulitis or diverticulosis  ?
    • Posted

Definitely diverticulitis I read the report earlier just to make sure. I think I will just drink water tomorrow and see how it is if it hasn't improved I will ring my gp I don't have a temp and not lost my appetite

• Posted

Did it get any better, or worse? In my experience when it starts hurting and I Kno that's what it is I go to the Dr asap. Once you feel that pain once, it's kind of hard to mistaken anything else for it. Last time mine started acting up it wasn't that bad at all and I was going to finish the work week and go to the Dr. I woke up on a Thursday morning with an excruciating headache and was in my bedroom with sunglasses on and black out curtains and after 4 hours it did not ease up. I checked my temperature and it was 103, the infection had spread to my blood and I was in the hospital 5 or 6 days. At that point the Dr told me that the next time it flared up it would probably rupture. Now I'm looking at having my sigmoid colon taken out and 2 inches of the decending colon taken out after the first of the year.

• Posted

My pain got better on its own fortunately it must be something I had eaten causing inflammation I stuck to a mostly liquid diet for a couple of days and eventually it passed. It gets so scary not knowing whether to go to the gp or not and at what stage im almost worried about eating to be honest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.