Stairs.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can someone please give me some info?  I had a partial knee replacement six weeks ago. How long will I take steps one at a time?  will there ever be a time when I'll be able to take stairs normally or is this the new norm? 

Thanks. 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, I had a partial knee replacement 3 weeks ago, I put the operated leg down by mistake on Friday when coming down the stairs, it was quite painful but seemed to help loosen it up a bit so then I wondered if I could go up the,stairs normally as that is easier than coming down, I started with just the first couple of stairs holding tightly to banister one side and crutch the other and now 3 days later I can go upstairs one foot in front of the other, slowly but still holdING onto banister, my knee still isn't quite ready to come down the stairs normally yet.
  • Posted

I know how you feel elaine i had a tkr 6 weeks ago and still climbing the stairs one at a time . I did pause this morning and thought about trying to climb them in the normal way but have to admit i was to scared , its all very frustrating think i will wait a little longer before trying it as my knee is still swollen and stiff. Please post when you give a try it may give me the confidence to have a go
  • Posted

Stairs -uhhh! Fortunately I live in what you may call a bungalow so no stairs issues at home. But I look at them with trepidation when faced. Tell myself, just get on with it...slowly. At 16 weeks not too much of a problem to go up normally unless they're really steep or really tired...then one at a time. But coming down is still an issue. Some have suggested going down backwards. It does help when there's only a step or two but can't imagine doing it for a whole flight ( pun intended!) My suggestion is keep working it but at your own pace. 
  • Posted

I was able to go up steps "normally" after 3 weeks; going down steps is tougher and depends on how high they are but up to 8" I can do it. My physical therapist has been working with me on this. So much depends on muscle strength, how much you had before the surgery, and how mch you get back after surgery. (I am 7 weeks from TKR.)
  • Posted

Don't rush those things. It will happen before you know it. Everyone is different and we can't put a time to it. Try the bottom step going up first. Don't risk falling, whatever you do. 
  • Posted

Hi Elaine!

I agree with all so far who have said that UP is easier than DOWN. I asked my PT why, and she said that we use different muscles depending on which direction we are going. Also, PSYCHOLOGICALLY I think LOOKING DOWN a set of stairs brings more angst for ME because I clearly see MUCH potential for disaster!

There is no shame in taking the stairs ANY way as long as it is SAFE.

I can go up with no problem at almost a year post op, but I am STILL working to build confidence going down in the normal way. My right knee is a trooper and game for everything. My left knee is a poo-poo-pants and isn't ready just yet.

Left TKR June 2015

Right TKR October 2015

• Posted

6 weeks after my PKR I was able to walk upstairs normally,went back to work in retail at 8 weeks but as of today 12 weeks after still can not go down more than a few steps a time after 12 weeks. 

My stairs are quite deep as my house is over 100 years old but find the stairs at work easier as they are not so deep.

Dont rush it - PKR can take up to a year to completely heal. It's all about keeping up with the exercises taking one day at a time. Each week I find I can do something I couldn't the week before! Even the smallest improvement is one step closer to full recovery. I have set myself a goal of doing the Cancer Race for Life June 2017 and a holiday to Hawaii in Autumn 2017 going up the volcano!

Keep going and be patient p.

• Posted

You have the same goals as me, haven't been able to Race for Life last couple of years due to OA and my once in a lifetime holiday destination is Hawaii. Good luck with your ongoing recovery and meeting your goals.
    • Posted

Hi Kelly

Tomorrow will be my two week mark from right outside pkr. I thought I would never have survived it this far. But here I am at the two week mark amazing. I am doing pretty good I think. Was wondering myself about when I could try stairs ? I am not in PT just doing exercises at home . Also when did you start to go out of the house . I haven't left except for one doctor visit . I now feel like l could maybe go to the store or something as I'm going stir crazy to get out . Planning on back to work at 4 weeks but from reading all the posts that may be to soon . I am in sales do a lot of up and down in chair . Still very swelled up and have pain in the other side of knee . Did you have pain on other side of your knee ? This site has been a life saver for me . Thank you and glad your doing so well . It is encouraging .

Debbie

• Posted

Debbie, I had PKR right inner knee and YES I have pain on the outer knee now. I think it's all part of the healing. I even had pain behind the knee. I'm six weeks post op. 
    • Posted

Is it a pulling kind of pain?If it weren't for that pain I feel I would be walking better. Are you walking without limping at 6 weeks . And at what point did you start walking more of a distance . So far I'm just at home walking from one room to the next . Don't mean to ask so many questions I just don't know how much to be doing and don't have anyone to guide me . I know everyone is different just wondering your experiences. Thank you !! Debbie
    • Posted

Yes. Pulling feeling. Yes, I'm still limping. Take your time. It does get better. Stay in touch with me and let me know your progress I may be able to answer your questions. You may even get some ankle pain. It's all normal. A lot of nerves are angry right now. 😏
    • Posted

My PKR was on inside right knee. I had to negotiate stairs with two sticks before I was allowed home after op. I did this after two days. With the 3 hydrotherapy and 3 gym physio sessions I got it down to one stick. Started going for walks about 3 weeks after op setting a goal of reaching the local coffee shop to meet friends! Go back to work when you feel ready maybe as I did on graduated hours. You need to talk to your employers to ensure a safe return. I only get slight minimal swelling now at 12 weeks usually at work but keep icing and any medication prescribed. A good tip -if you find the pain killers not lasting it's worth investing in a wireless TENs pain reliever. I have been using mine since last November before my op in March  and still use it occasionally after a long day at work. I wouldn't be without it but do ask your pharmacist to recommend the right one for you.

To keep me sane I made a bucket list of things I haven't been able to do for the future to help me have goals to work towards. The first of which is my first long haul flight to Vegas in November to celebrate my 60th birthday!

i hope this has helped  - look forward to hearing of your progress and keep positive.

• Posted

Hi Kelly

Thank you ! Answered so many questions . Odly today I've taken no pain meds and seem to be not needing as much ( today anyway lol)

Once you started walking outside the house did the pain increase and swelling more . I seem to be doing pretty good ( 2 weeks yesterday PO).

Oh and when did you try to drive ? My sheet they gave said I could try after two weeks , I feel nowhere ready . I am going to try to do a stair today going up . I can do stairs but by the old way ( hanging on railings for dear life ).

Funny I was thinking how I need a trip to Vegas too !! My sister has been wanting to go visit my brother who lives there . His birthday is on November and that's when we were sort of thinking . I just turned 58 in April. Thank you for your response . Sounds like you are going very well which is encouraging .

Debbie

• Posted

The  ache and swelling did come up after each activity but that's to be expected and I made sure that each time I rested after with ice and painkillers.  It's a work in progress and in the early weeks seemed like it would never get better but about 6 weeks post op I began noticing definite improvement. I don't drive so that's not something I can advise you on.

As I write this I gave just had quite a busy day working in a department store and my knee aches quite a bit plus my right hip too-but I stress it is an ache not the pain I was in pre op. My physio has advised that this will gradually ease off as time goes on. I do notice that it aches more when the weather is damp and much better when it's warmer. Living in England it's mostly chilly and we have the heating on tonight as summer is still yet to kick in properly!

Hope you get your trip to Vegas - I am so looking forward to ours x

Kelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.