Start orlistat tomorrow and loafs of questions :/

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. Im due to start orlistat tomorrow and I have loads of questions that I hope some of you could help with.  I will apologise now if they habe been asked a hundred times. I will just lost them to make it easier.  Just as a bit of background I'm 34, 5ft 2" and just under 15stone. I suffer from fibromyalgia and cfs which is making exvercise hell. Ok,  my questions:

* how many calories do you stick to a day? 

* how are snacks counted? As in I know its max 15g fat per meal but does that mean 100% fat free snacks or does it depend if you have any fat left over from meals e.g you only eat 12g per meal?

What if your in a situation weber there are only food potions that are over the fat allowance do you just not take that tablet or will it still cause side affects?

* I'm confused with the no more than 5g per 100g. What if its 10g per 100g and you have the full 100g but the test of your meal is fast free?? 

*how does alcohol affect the tablets? 

* and how many of you have stuck to the rules but still had side affects? 

Thank you so much for reading and hope you can help smile

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma, I'm no longer on the tablets but did loose 3 stone using them. 

Check all packets and use my fitness pal app for fat content. As long as it's 5g of fat per 100g your ok! I did go to 6g though as it really is limited. 

Snacks I had fat free yogurts, fruit, go ahead bars ect. 

If you know your having a blow out don't take a tablet, were all different but I'd suffer big time the next day! It's not nice I can tell you! It's orange oil that just runs out of you.... Only ever did it once lol. 

You're tablets take a good week to kick in too, so give it time. 

Drinking doesn't effect the tablets but might the weight loss as they are empty calories. 

They are not magic pills they just stop you eating rubbish because once you have had the side effects you will never do it again. Lol. 

Hope this helps, any more questions just asksmile good luck x

• Posted

Oh yes I use to try and stick to 1400 calories a day😃
  • Posted

Hi emma, i have been on the tablets for 3 weeks now dont know if i have lost anything will find out next week when i go to see the nurse. i dont feel like i have i just feel so bloated, however i have been on the tablets before and lost over 3 stone. you have to watch what you eat and change the way you cook use fry light spray. I was told things like veg and salad you can eat as much as you want as there isnt much fat in it something i found helpful is a portion plate you can buy these from the interent it helped me tackle the problem round my portoin sizes.  somedays i iwll have a boiled egg for breakfast with a slice of bread salad for lunch with chicken or something like that, fat free yogurt and some fruit and then a home cooked meal. I made burgers last night they was lovely (try go for lean meat as there is less fat in it) remember to drink plenty of water. i try to stay clear of alcohol during the week and will have it at weekends. if you want to ask any more questions drop me a email.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies smile can you only have a small with fast in if you haven't used all your daily fat allowance on meals then otherwise have a fast free snack?  I know no smacking would be best but it's a big adjustment.  And does that mean then that you cant habe ANY food thays more than 5g per 100g?? X
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I just started these tablets on Saturday.  So far I have only had a minor episode of the side effects once on day 2 of taking the pills, but I think it was acting on something I had eaten in the run up to starting them.  I have had no side effects what so ever since that one incident.  

I keep my meals to no more than 15g of fat.  I am not religious with 5g of fat per 100g as long as I am within the 15g for my meal.  

As for snacks I am going for Snack-a-Jacks and Carrs Water Biscuits and Laughing Cow Light Cheese Triangles (can have 4 crackers and one cheese triangle for only 2.4g of fat), if you are a cheese and biscuits fiend then this hits the spot as I wouldn't risk eating cheese with the tablets.  My snacks aren't totally fat free but I tend to keep them very low, i.e. Salsa or Cottage Cheese with Veg Crudites.   

As for alcohol, there isn't fat in it unless you go for milky based alcoholic drinks like baileys or some shots.  However most booze is high in calories.  I tend to stick to spirits and a diet mixer.  

I have been on these tablets before and didn't stick to it and cheated a lot and I had a horrendous experience, but now I am in a good place and actually finding it easier this time, the fear of the side effects is enough to put me of cheating.  

Since you are starting these tomorrow, I would recommend not having too much fat to day.  

I am finding I am quite bloated and a bit constipated at the moment, but I think it is because the tablets are still trying to get into my system.  

I hope my starting experience is of some help.  I am 19st 4llbs, and am hoping these tablets help.  

Good Luck

Laura xx

• Posted

Hiya. Ive started counting the fat for the last 3 days as knew I would be getting the tablets just had to wait for blood results first.  Constipation worries me as im on codeine and tramadol daily which makes things bad enough lol x 
    • Posted

Hi Emma, yeah I was on those pain killers also for my back, just drink plenty of water and snack on fruit. You will be fine!

• Posted

Hi Emma, what do you tend to eat now? before i staretd the tablets i thought i was eating healthy ish... but when i started to take the tablets i soon realised that i wasnt. I like a beer but try to avoid cos it makes me bloated and the weight doesnt shift as quickly.
    • Posted

I like wine but when you realise a bottle of wine is the same as a Big Mac I now understand why I piled on the lbs 😫😫😫😫
  • Posted

Unfortunately I'm a very fussy easter which doesn't help but im trying to get more veg in and I love fruit.  I don't drink very often I was just thinking if we do go out which is rare lol. 
  • Posted

So if you want a posing after a meal does it all Jane to be included in the 15g meal allowance? ? 
  • Posted

Hi,

I started Orlistat 7 days ago, I have taken them before but at the time I wasn't in the mind-set to cope with such restrictions! Up to now I'm doing ok, apart from bloating. I started Slimming World 7 weeks ago so I tend to stick with SW rules along with being more vigilent on the fat intake. I don't like salad and I'm not a massive veg lover either, so I eat things like poached egg, lean meats, nimble bread, fat free yogurts, fruit, crackers and the odd laughing cow light cheese triangle. I also take (Holland and Barrett) Green Leaf Tea capsules and Magnesium - for energy, fatigue and tiredness. My start weight 7 weeks ago was 20st 7lb, last I checked 1 week ago I was 19st 10lb I will only be checking my weight in 3 weeks time when I see my GP - I'm hoping to have lost a sone by then!! Good Luck Girls - We can do it!!biggrin

• Posted

Thats a fantastic start hun well done you! Im really hoping I can get on with them as ive tried pretty much everything else rolleyes ive worked out my 5% goal is 10lbs which I think the gp said you have to lose by the 3 month Mark is that right? X 
  • Posted

Yeah Emma something like that. I have PCOS, so losing weight can be harder to shift and can very quickly come back on (with a vengence!). Take it one day at a time and don't weigh yourself all the time. I don't know about anyone else but I think the sunny weather helps; you don't tend to want much to eat (ie) stodgy food, hearty meals - that's just my opinion smile
  • Posted

I have posted lots of helpful posts on these tablets if you search the site.

You can drink. If your going to eat something hugh in fat you need to stop the tablets 3 days before then restatrt 3 days later. It cannot be 10g per 100g otherwise you will get the side effects no more than 5g per 100g. I have stuck to the rules and have gone from a size 24 to a 12-14 . I have snacks i keep them fat free or under 3g of fat i don't eat the full45g of fat allowed per day and i am not deprived at all i don't count calories only fat and i use MFP not counting calories hasn't harmed me at all i have still lost a ton of weight good luck and let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.