start up increase side effects. so hard to carry on

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv posted so much coz I feel so crazy. Upped to 40mg and God I'm depressed, crying non stop, shakibg , sweating its hell. Can't eat can't sleep. Keep telling myself it will settle soon but I'm like a heroin addict cold turkey. Anyone else been here I need some hope. Worse before better? I'm a million times worse. Increase as after baby post natal depression was showing signs again

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, if its any consolation Im going through hell right now too, im still trying to get of the mirtazapine before i can even start fluoxetine, what were you like before you upped to 40mg ? did you get much worse straight away after that ? one time when i was in a psych ward i was put on prozac, very quickly upped 20, 40, 60 in the space of less than 2 weeks,.. unfortunately it has to be worse before better. If you need some hope, just remember there are all of us going through the same thing as you, you're not alone.... hope that helps u a bit. were all here for each other
    • Posted

20mg 15weeks 8 to work then 7 normal all over weeks but it was creeping in a bit so upped to 40mg and I'm a state I'm so scared it won't settle or b worse then this. Can't believe a increase can b this huge. I can't function at all loosing my mind. Hope is all I can do
    • Posted

Is this normal or does it mean I need off it its too much for me to handle. I'm a dizzy shaking mess its day 5 of upped does. Yes 20 start up was bad but not quite as bad as this feels
  • Posted

Have you discussed with your doctor about going to 30 ? maybe 20 to 40 was to big a jump
    • Posted

They dont no 10mg he said 20mg is the next upping to have affect. I don't know I'm in hell and it seems not normal
  • Posted

the thing with fluoxetine is it has a very long half life and builds up in your system over time... thats why many doctors recommend an increase only once a month
    • Posted

Hi Rachel what you are experiencing is totally normal after upping to 40mg. Some people have mild symptoms while us unfortunate ones go through hell. If it's any consultation I had every single one of the symptoms that you are experiencing at the moment & I thought that going back to 20mg would be better. Fortunately I have a really understanding doctor that saw me every week where I wrote down all the symptoms that I had which was long when first going on 20mg but was even longer when put up to 40mg. She explained how the tablets worked & let me hysterically ramble on for 10 minutes or so but she always finished with it will get better trust me & she was right. Rachel it used to take me 3 hours to prepare myself just to go to the doctors!!! The sweats are horrible, in fact it's all horrible going through this but take heart because it will get better. I used to try getting some sleep sat in a comfy chair downstairs whilst watching TV but as soon as I shut my eyes I could feel the anxiety creeping all over my body so it was impossible then one day about a week after taking 40mg it felt like I had a slight belly ache for a couple of hours I while I was thinking not something else to deal with I realised that this had replaced the anxiety & that was the break through belly ache for a couple of days but no anxiety. I still have a few dodgy moments throughout the day but it's more like slightly nervous now so I'm really looking forward to the next couple of weeks as my doctor that everything will get better & better as time goes on. Stick in there Rachel xx you are more than half way there now xxx Remember we are all with you on here no matter what time of day one of us will always be here for you xx I'm here anytime you need me xx stay strong xx
    • Posted

Thank you. I feel crippled with depression more so then ever. How much longer is all I can think. Will I ever b me again
    • Posted

The worse at the moment is waking to a huge rush of adrenaline! Sweaty shaking thoughts racing like crazy feel like I need to run very very fast. Anyone get this side effect ? Its the worst one
    • Posted

Are you kidding? Something like that they are not meant to be long term but for anxiety. Most docs give them in the start up phase of anti depressants to get through the increased anxiety.
    • Posted

I'm seeing Dr later on. I'm scared of taking more meds I'm already a crack pot. I just need to know it all pass. I feel like death
    • Posted

I'm sorry I know how you feel. I couldn't go into work today. I have no clue what to do. Is this your first child?
    • Posted

No 3rd and last. 2boys 1girl. I had serve pnd after my second and while pregnant with 3rd now this (she's 7weeks)

Awful isn't it! I need it over I need to look after my children not my mums job

• Posted

I'm so sorry. I don't understand. I was 5 1/2 months pregnant and had miscarriage with my second. It was traumatic and depression came out of nowhere. I've been well a year and half and off meds. I had another miscarriage in sept and then lost my cousin in a wreck. Now I'm here feeling awful. I want another child but scared to death I'll be worse and I couldn't handle it.
    • Posted

Give ur self time. Pregnancy has caused all this for me just due to my body, iv nothing to be depressed anxious about. I'm so sorry for your loses must be so hard. Maybe talking will help. I'm in hell right now and just want my life back and to care for my children x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.