started 2 days feeling sick

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, can anyone advise ive, just started and been on Sertraline for 2 days, and feeling sickly, a bit faint, dizzy is this normal or should i just sop taking them 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, my advice would be to take it easy for a while. There's lots of different side effects with these sort of medications, I've been through my fair share aha. You should continue taking them if you can manage to deal with these side effects as its usually normal for the first few days to a week or so. Obviously I'm no doctor so if you're really feeling like something's not right then see your GP and tell him/her your concerns. Hope this helps you at all. Take care I hope you start to feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks laura2707 this is my first time on these type of meds, today i didnt even feel like going to work,,,,, giddy n fuzzy........ i think i might try a few more days as you said and then take decision 
    • Posted

Is it depression you've diagnosed with? If you don't mind me asking. It's just I've been diagnosed as bipolar 2 and if I was to be on them and felt giddy at all I'd be told to come off them.
  • Posted

I started them 6 days ago.  I just feel very tired and depressed/anxious but I think that is because I had been on cit 40mg so that has stopped working and the sertaline has not started yet.  I have been a bit dizzy and my vision keeps going a bit funny.  I think all your side effects are normal.  mention anything to the dr as you should be seeing them weeky when you first start an antidepressant.

I would say stick with it.  I am a bit ahead of you so I can let you know what other side effects I get if any.

• Posted

Yes Laura2707 - but not manic,,,, generally have no desire to do anything anymore, nothing excites me, i have no i wants, no aspirations,,,,,, 
    • Posted

It was just incase you had fluctuating moods then my advice would be different. I know exactly how you feel, as much as that's not very comforting it'll get better, I've had months where every night id go to bed wishing I was dead but it can't stay like that forever. My sister is on citilopram and it took her a while to get used to but she's told me she would not have coped without them so hopefully they'll kick in quickly for you so you can start to feel like you're living again.
    • Posted

That describes me exactly! I have totally given up on life and see no point whatsoever.

In a recent trial these tablets came out top by far for depression and OCD (I have OCD too) so I am stayinghopeful.

Try not to read too much about side effects as everyone is different.  You will know by 4-6 weeks if they are working for your depression.  If by then they aren't or you can't cope with the side effects then they will try you on something different.  Just need to find one that suits you.

I hope they work for you I know exactly how you are feeling and it is awful.

• Posted

Sue45192 - Thanks for the advice, just spent alot of time reading, about the possible side effects, later and there a bit scary,,,,,,,,, gonna have to really think twice and get to a decision wether to carry on stop ....... though as of now the feeling is not nice 
  • Posted

Hmmm thank you both,,,,, i will keep you posted later today,,, feeling a lil better now,,,, but its the afternoon and i missed the whole morning wuth the effects 
    • Posted

When I first started it made me feel very unwell but got better within a couple of days. Also sleepy . If it doesn't improve I would go back to your dr.
  • Posted

Hey, so I've been on sertraline for depression for 5 days now and I've had plenty of side effects, including drowsiness, headaches, nausea and insomnia. I started them on the weekend and essentially had 2 days in bed, I made it to work every day until today because I was up all night.

My doctor said that a lot of people get these side effects, but they should wear off after a week or two, so my aim is to make it to the 2 week point before giving up. But it's difficult and everyone has different levels of things they can put up with. I've been off and on so many meds for many things now that I'm getting used to trying to put up with them, as I've come out the other side and seen benefits from other medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.