Started Citalopram...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I'm new here but read quite a lot of the posts and you all sound very supportive.  I started Citalopram 4 weeks and one day ago.  I've never been on an anti depressant so I'm not sure what to expect.  I know that I had a bit of nausea, definitely anxiety when I woke up and probably some insomnia. I'm not a great sleeper so I don't know how much sleep was affected. I got a sleeping pill and have been off and on it. Last 3 nights off but sometimes I need it so I take it.  I was really strange but into the beginning of the third week, it seemed like I could literally feel some functioning in the brain change, I got a bit dizzy in a grocery store so I don't know if there are some time release in the tablets. Yesterday, was the end of the 4th week and I also felt like my anger had tapered off but maybe I'm making this up.  I went back to the same grocery store the other day and I was fine. Anyone had any similar experiences.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes everything you describe is quite normal for now.  Is should all settle down in time.  Recovery often comes in waves, so you may start to feel really good only to have it slip away again.  This is normal too.  Recovery might continue like that or you might just feel better gradually.

It might take a while to recover, but don't worry, let it take as long as the meds want to.  It's often no quick fix, and you can't make it happen any quicker.  Just let the meds do their thing.

K x

• Posted

Hey Johmac:

I've had the light headed feeling also.  I have been on Citalopram since March 7th.  I am taking 30mg and also as something to help with sleep.  I notice it is the worst when I take Cit and the sleeping aid.  I'm doing much better now with Cit and the help of my Therapist.  Best to you johnmac.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for replyingj. I find some days it is just like you said to let the meds do their thing. I like your comment - recovery often comes in waves and may I add, when you don't expect it but I guess that's ok since we are expecting some changes. 

• Posted

Yes agree - the waves come when you don't expect it - some days or weeks feeling good, then out of the blue a low patch again.  Feeling bad in the mornings too doesn't mean that's how the rest of the day will pan out.

K :-)

• Posted

Hi kate and ron

I know it is working by my mood stabilization. This morning I think was the first time I noticed not too much anxiety when I woke. I just took a nap since I have a head and chest cold and anxiety is still there but I think it is more concerns about the future which I'm sure a lot of people have. Tried to settle down and did quite a bit. Told myself a lot of people have anxiety (I always find it is better when you feel you are not alone). Thanks for the input. Are you all in the UK. I am in Canada. 

• Posted

Sounds like it's beginning to work.  There'll be small changes along the way and the anxiety will stop eventually.  Yes it really does help,knowing you're not alone in this.

It will get easier as time goes by, and you may sometimes find yourself going backwards.  Don't worry though as that's quite normal, and it'll pass.

I'm in the UK.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply johmac.  I'm actually in the U.S.  Glad to hear that you're doing ok.  Yes, you are right, we will always have some level of anxiety in our lives, but, if we can take medication that lowers our anxiety, that is helpful.  You are not alone, that's why this forum is so helpful.  Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.