Started Esmya. How long until bleeding should stop?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I started Esmya 6 days ago and am still bleeding, heavy at times. Had a slow wean off norethisterone, last tablet was 2 days before starting Esmya. So prob having a withdrawal bleed from that but just wondering how long til Esmya kicks in.

Had big haemorrhage at Xmas and lost over 30% blood volume so any bleeding leaves me highly anxious and unable to function normally. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, consultant put mirena in 2 mths ago to help control bleeding. He said it won't impact on effect of Esmya but I've read that it can as they're both competing for progesterone receptors. Have others come across this at all? Is there anyone else out there on Esmya who also has the mirena? Did you have any results?

Thank you.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caz, I am aslo on Esmya and have coil. I was bleeding heavy for the first 6 weeks and then it slowed down to barely nothing but then a few days ago started bleeding again, I only have 2 more tablets left of my 3 months and am now worried I will go back to heavy bleeding.

I did not have any side effects on these tablets so thats a bonus and I dont belive it has effected my coil. Hopefully your periods will settle soon.

• Posted

Thanks Shaza. Can you just confirm that your heavy bleeding was for 6 WEEKS!!? Not 6 days!! Goodness! I really do hope mine settle sooner than that!

The waiting is agonising isn't it? Do you know if your fibroid has shrunk at all?

I wish there was a quicker solution to these fibroids that didn't involve a hysterectomy. I really do feel that there is no "best" solution.

Thanks for your reply Shaza.

• Posted

Hi, yes am afraid it was 6 weeks on off with heavy bleeding and clots . My stomach has shrunk so I do belive they have got smaller. I do have 7 of them 😕

I am going to have a TCRF on Thursday 😑 bit nervous but hopefully I can get rid of these horrible things.

Everyone is different, hopefully you will stop bleeding soon x

• Posted

Hi, I haven't had the mirena but can tell you that for me Esmya takes a while to stop the bleeding, maybe 4-6 weeks. I'm on tablet 31 of my 3rd course, and after only a few spots during the month, I have now been bleeding since Wednesday, so 3 days, it's about stopped now. Not flooding though. But it does stop completely eventually.
  • Posted

Hi Caz

I am on my first treatment pack of Esmya. Started taking it on day 1 of period. I was bleeding for about 8 days, which is the norm for me. I too thought that when i started taking the tablets it would stop or not be as long as usual but no such luck!

• Posted

Hi glen pen

Thanks for your reply. I'm on day 8 now and hoping things are starting to ease up. How have you managed the other symptoms? Do you have many? I've had to take Friday and today off work - spent most of the weekend in bed, just shattered. A few headaches and dizziness but tolerable. I'm not sure if the tiredness is due to the ESMYA, coming off the norethisterone, the anxiety I suffer when bleeding (worried that I'll haemorrhage again), or just a combination. How have you been?

Caz

• Posted

Hi Caz

After about 7 days of taking Esmya I did feel very light headed for a couple of days. That soon passed though and I must admit overall I do feel better. The tiredness seems to come and go, just do what you feel your body needs. I have put on about 5lbs in weight but feel that is a bit of water retention. All in all side effects are manageable if the tablets shrink the fibroids! I have 'a little family' of them about the size of a grapefruit but my gynaecologist is trying to avoid a hysterectomy at 51 as he thinks I should soon be through menopause and then they will shrink anyway! Hope you re feeling a little better, its good to share experiences as theres very little info about Esmya. Take care x

• Posted

Hi, I have also been waiting for menopause to 'kick in' but at 58 it still hasn't! It seems to be a bit of a myth, as when you have large fibroids they are 'self perpetuating' as they produce hormones themselves, I never had more then 2 weeks without bleeding until I took Esmya the first time over a year ago. After the 3 month course I didn't bleed for another 3 months, then the flooding came back again big time. I was devastated as I had actually thought I was experiencing menopause and my problems were over.

So when the consultants ask 'have you been through menopause?' I really don't know what to say. My bleeding now surely comes from the fibroids themselves, but the only time I ever had menopausal symptoms was while taking  Esmya. 

• Posted

I have had really good results with my heavy bleeding with Unsulfered Blackstrap Molasses.  I know it sounds crazy but since I have been taking bsm I have had NO bleeding between periods and my period lasted THREE days instead of TEN.  No joking.  I use to bleed 20 days out of the month.  I don't have ANY cramping and NO clotting.  I also started taking Apple Cider Vinegar to shrink my fibroids and cysts.  I won't know if that is working until my next period but it sure feels like they are getting smaller.  1 Tbsp BSM with hot water in the morning and 1 Tbsp BSM and 1/2 tsp ACV with hot water in the evening.  Godsend.  I have been able to cancel my scheduled hysterectomy.  I now have co-workers trying it and I'm excited to hear their results.  
    • Posted

Yes I have heard good things about these two products, especially when taken together. I do take ACV but supposedly the 'Mother' product is best which I can't get in Spain, neither have I found the molasses here. 

Hope it carries on working for you!

• Posted

Wow! Seriously, has this actually worked for you? I've tried various fibroid diets over the years but with no success (well, that I know of - periods didn't change but who's to say the fibroid didn't stop growing in those times?). I may try this out. Which ACV do you use - does it have to be some kind of special one that's cloudy in appearance, is that the "mother" one? The molasses are also good for anaemia I believe!

Caz x

• Posted

I have just found I can order these two products online, so will order tonight! May as well give it a go, will try to moderate my diet as well, I could do with losing weight. Just takes a bit of motivation, which I don't have much of when the fibroids keep growing back and I feel worn out.
    • Posted

Hi i have read good things about these products too.  I had an open myomectomy 5 weeks ago but my surgeon only managed to remove the 4 biggest fibroids due to extensive blood loss.  So i still have fibroids but he called them 'seedlings' . Do these products shrink fibroids??  If i use them will it get rid of the ones i have left do u think?
    • Posted

Hi Velbim

Yes Esmya are used to shrink Fibroids so hopefully these would be an answer to your problems. They are an expensive drug and some are reluctant to prescribe but its worth a try! Good Luck x

• Posted

Hi Glen pen.  Yes my surgeon gave me Esmya for 3 months before my op.  But am keen to try something more natural to see if i can get rid of the remaining fibroids that were not removed.

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.