Started fluoxetine 1 week ago....

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on citalopram 20mg for a few years for anxiety and depression then gradually came off them as i wanted to try for a baby. I was off them for 2 months but got to a point where i couldnt get out of bed crying all the time having bad anxiety symptoms so i went to the doctor a week ago who gave me 20mg fluoxetine.

I cant function at all. Im off sick from work i just stay in bed all day. I feel sick and my body is achin. I have pins n needles my anxiety is even worse.

I know things get worse before they get better but is what im feeling normal??

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie am sorry to here that your feeling so bad , an what your feeling of Flouxitine is very normal am on week 13 an still get a bit anxiety when due on , but it will get better with time , I no it hurrendes the first couple of weeks maybe see if the doctor can give you something to carm you down the first couple of weeks , good luck xx
    • Posted

Thank you for replying!!

I take mine before i go to bed i am very restless and so so tired all day but i do perk up about 6pm. What time of day do you take yours? I feel so exhausted i literally cant move all day. Im tryin to be positive but its so hard when i feel like this

• Posted

Try and stay positive Katie. 

I know it's very hard. The first 3 weeks are horrendous with Fluoxetine. I ended up having a month off work with side effects. Insomnia, leg pains, sickness and the worst, massively enhanced anxiety and panic attacks. I just felt so drained, weak, detached from everything and just well emotionally blunt. 

Stupidly I stopped after 3 weeks as I couldn't take the side effects any longer. 

Now I am looking at starting the whole process again second time around with Sertraline and really REALLY kicking myself for not sticking it out as I was surely close to overcoming the worst of it. The only difference this time is I am sure I will lose my job if I am off again so holding off for now rolleyes

They say it gets worse before it gets better and sadly it does.

Ask your doctor for diazepam. It will help you sleep and calm down when at your worst. It's massively addictive though so you only get a few tablets at most!.

• Posted

I take mine in the morning but like you was feeling really bad first weeks the doctor as put me on a beta blocker as well witch really can help ask about it Hun
    • Posted

How are you feeling now not taking anything?

Im going to keep taking them and i read lots of forums and websites looking for answers but i know everyone is different, it does take time, there is no magic answer.

• Posted

Hello,

Not great to tell the truth wish I stayed on Fluoxetine. This constant Anxiety is up and down like a yo-yo and it's exhausting. I can barely stay awake these days with it. One day I am sick, the next tired, constant tension headaches, palpitations, chest pains, Usual anxiety really. I am only 25, was very active and eat healthy / don't smoke or drink! It's not fair!

Propranolol has helped a lot. Other than that I am relying heavily on passionflower and camomile tea + valerian root to sleep. I have had better luck on herbal remedies than prescription so far.

Just started St Johns Wort to. It's got a lot of positive reviews for helping with mild anxiety and low depression so hoping it helps without the sledge hammer of side effects prescription AD's give you.

Got to say I feel a lot calmer straight away. No side effects yet.

I can't try Sertraline yet. It's just bad timing, I can't be off work again and waiting for a house sale to complete rolleyes

Hoping for a miracle tbh! I just want to get back to normal!

• Posted

Hello. I take prozac 40mg-working up to 60mg, and lamictal 150mg-working up to 200mg. I made the stupid mistake and quite taking prozac (Generic form) after I felt better, not truley realizing it was the meds making me feel better. I'm not sure if you're still taking the prozac or not, but I would advise against taking St. Johns Wort if you are. I used to take that before going on prescription meds.. My doctor told me (the medication leaflet also mentions it) that St. John's Wort can cause bad adverse effects when taking with SSRI's. I am not sure of other meds, as I have never taken anything but the ones I am currently on. Had a go round with celexa, but came off after 4 days because of side effects. Also, I'm not sure if you know or not, but Stress B-Complex Supplements & Fish oil supplements (available at almost all drugstores) have greatly helped me. Maybe something you could look into? Also, some people may not like it but I as well have a hard time falling asleep. I listen to ASMR. It is on Youtube. Gentlewhispering is my favorite author. Basically its soothing sounds and voices that trigger a feel good sensation throughout your body. It relaxes and calms you. There are wonderful artists and hundreds of different relaxing sounds etc. Maybe you could try that to help you sleep. For optimal experience, use headphones. No one should have to go through this. It sucks. Just remember, you're okay. Your brain is simply firing the wrong neurons etc. I have a hard time believing it somedays, but I know that one day, I will be okay. I have overcome this before and I will again. Just like you! 

• Posted

I also was on Celexa for years prior to fluoxetine. I never had the side effects with the Celexa. The fluoxetine has been a challenge. I'm on 20mg and could not go to the 40 the doctor prescribed. Ive stuck it out and finally getting some releif but do have setbacks. Sleep, avoiding stress and working out at gym daily for me has been key along with a good diet. Each person's different as well as there situation in life. Prayer's to you and this group.

• Posted

Hi sorry your feeling bad but I was there,,, couldn't get out bed on 20mg took in morning go now take at evening but I get heart palpitations not as bad and up n down but no were as bad just keep busy it's hard but I know there's is light at end of tunnel I thought was dying now I can go shop 8 weeks around that lost count were before I knew days hours up till 5/6 weeks now it's much easier but do have moment s were freak out but I'm like it's the meds get on with it but I did feel I was being tortured at one point I was going g to give up but I read from people on here I stuck it out please don't give up xxxxx

• Posted

When i started citalopram years ago i dont remember side effects like these.

I have slept all day. I dont know wheather its best to sleep if my body is tired or try and wake myself up.

Im not eating much i dont have an appetite iv had a few crackers and some ribena today which also makes me worry incase i get ill

• Posted

I was like that stressing I'd get ill if never ate don't worry I lived on cereal bars fir 3 weeks so just keep in there xx also sleep if you can cause the insomnia will appear for bit as well I do advise sleep as recharges your body xxx

• Posted

Day 14 now. I can see an improvement but im still so sleepy i slept till 1pm today and yesterday. I have been puttin a bit of make up on n goin out in the car n visiting my mum but i still have no energy or motivation. I want to be better now 😭😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.