Started getting leg pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just started taking gabapentin for back and feet pain only 2  nights ago and in the middle of the night I started getting bad leg pain each night. Has anyone had that side effect or maybe it is something else

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi kathy I started taking gabapentin 9 years ago and I take now 2400mg a day, the chronic pain in my opiniun gabapentin is great but comes with always sleeping,constipation, weight gain etc, but I found when I started the worse thing is being spaced out but you get used to that and gabapentin becomes part of your life, a small price to pay for no pain, try not to let your gp put you on a high dosage, I was at one time on 4500mg, its been a struggle to reduce.good luck
  • Posted

I am gabapentin dependent too, but it's a small priice to pay as Dave points out. Over 22 years I have built up to 2400 mg a day, spaced about evenly over the day. I take 600mg of the daily dosage before bedtime or I can't sleep. I will have restless legs. I take 6-12 325 mg of aspirin in 2-3 aspirin doses over the day. Make sure to ttalk with your doctor about this, as there can be serious side efects or interactions. You have to take these medications proactively. Set a schedule.

You might want to make sure sure are getting enough potassium. I find I will get leg cramps if I don't. A "light" salt usually has KCl in it. I use it on breakfast eggs. Some swear by bananas for potassium.

• Posted

Hi Kathy  I have been on gabapentin for around 4 years, just as other replies tell you, it does come with side effects but it stops the chronic neuropathic pain.  I too have had nights when the leg pain wakes me up.  I have been on upto 3,000mg per day but it was not good, I was suffering side effects breathlessness, pain in legs, weight gain, coughing, incontinence when coughing.  I have managed to reduce down to 1,800mg however, this is because i am now taking Tramadol/paracetamol 2x day and nortrypteline at night or I would not sleep, the pain would keep me awake.  I think its a case of finding what works best for you, and how it effects you.  Weight gain seems to be unavoidable, i dont know if others have found weight gain a problem.  I wish you all the best Kathy,
  • Posted

I've been on Gabapentin for nearly a month now for face and scalp neuralgia.  I take 900 mg a day.  I felt a little whoozy to begin with but since then I've not had any side effects.  It is keeping the neuralgia at bay but I wouldn't want to take a higher dose. 

I hope by now things have settled down for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.