Started mirtazapine and feel totally exhausted HELP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm hoping someone can give me some advice I've been on antidepressants for about 7 years citalopram and sertraline and now mirtazapine but these which I started last night have made me sleep all day and I don't know what to do I've got 4 children so I can't be like this if I stop them how long will it take to feel less tiered thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. When I started on Mirtazapine I was exactly the same the first night. But this shouldn't last very long. All the best x
  • Posted

What dosage were you started on?  If you don't take any more, you should return to normal very quickly.  Mirt has a half life of 20 to 40 hours, meaning half of that first dose will be gone by 40 hours post dosing.  The sedation should fall off quickly there-after.
    • Posted

Hi I was started on 30mg which I took last night at about 9:30 I slept all night and nearly all day and I still feel like I could sleep it's horrible, thank you for your reply
    • Posted

That was a very high dose to start with!  In the states we can get 7.5 mg tablets and that is where I started.  Lower doses are sedating, though.  When I started ay 7.5 mg I slept really well, great since I was having horrid insomnia, but I was able to get on with the day when I woke up, didn't HAVE to keep sleeping, though if I had allowed myself to go back to sleep I couldn't have kept going :-)  Perahaps ask your doc if you could start at a lower dose.  You can break the tablets into quarters with a pill cutter from the pharmacy and try that, too.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I feel a little bit more awake this morning it's just been horrible not just the sleepiness it's like having white noise in my head constantly and everything spinning I don't think I'm going to take anymore I know it takes time to work but my husband has bipolar and he's been looking after our 4 children I don't want to put too much pressure on him I just not sure what to do
  • Posted

Hi the lower dose are more sedating if you continue to take this effect will be less going up the doses still helps you sleep but not for so long 🌷
    • Posted

The problem with increasing to the highest doses in hopes of getting the effect you want is that if it still doesn't work out for you, you are now on the high dose and coming off of this drug is NOT easy or fun!  The withdrawal from it has made many a patient start taking it again just to stop the horrid symptoms.  What was the reason for starting the mirt in addition to the ones you are on?  People seem to end up on cocktails of these drugs because one leads to side effects that the doc will put you on another one to address, treating as if it is a new illness.  You really don't want to end up poly-drugged, because it makes everything so much more complicated when it comes to trying to get off of the drugs.  Never go cold turkey off any of these meds!

If you could give us a history of when you started what, how much, when and why the second one was added, and what was happening when the mirt was added, it might help us tease apart what your best next step might be.

If you were having insomnia or anxiety, you could try taking a magnesium supplement.  I take magnesium glycinate, 200 mg in the morning and 400 mg at bedtime.  MG is a more absorbable form of magnesium.  Mag is absorbed through the skin so epsom salt baths can be helpful.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Like Sadie-Jayne, I was exactly the same the first night, but that was it. I think you'll be feeling less tired quite quickly.

We all respond differently, so if you continue to feel very sleepy after a day or so, I would contact your GP for advice.

Will be thinking of you. Mental ill-health is horrible: I've just had the Mirt upped to 30 mgs after a while on 15 mgs and I take 20 mg of Citalopram on top. One day at a time!

All the very best to you.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I was on fluoxetine and put on mirtazipine last week (15mg). After the second dose/day I slept for 16 hours!! I felt awful spaced out, weird and had no energy whatsoever. I stopped them and felt completely better after roughly 3 days.

I'm back on fluoxe now but still anxious etc.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I think the main problem is that you were started on too high a dose. I was started on 7.5 mgs; went up to 15 mgs at the start of this year; was put up to 30 mgs about ten days ago. I think you should go back to your GP for advice asap. From experience, I'd strongly advise against stopping the Mirt altogether, because you could end up in a much worse place. I've been there and I wouldn't invite anyone else along! All the very best. x

• Posted

Agreed!  I was started at 7.5 mg as well.  What was your experience with mirt that took you to a worse place, amanda?

• Posted

Hi Betsy,

It wasn't Mirt that took me to a bad place, Betsy, at least I don't think so. I probably wasn't clear in my last post.

I have had episodes of severe depression since my early 20s - I am now nearly 52 - and I have always had a lot of anxiety. I have been on Citalopram for about 18 years; now I am on 20 mgs, which I take in the mornings. I have been on Mirt for about two years - not quite sure exactly when I started, but it's roughly that length of time. I started on 7.5 mgs and went up to 15 mgs at the start of 2015. I was put on 30 mgs just under two weeks ago now, and I think I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel!

Most of the time I manage to lead something approaching a normal life; occasionally I don't. I am currently off work until the end of the month. I have purchased a light box, which I received yesterday; I won't use it until my sleep gets better, though. I have also just purchased some magnesium glycinate, after reading your post.

I'm amazed that Claire was started on 30 mgs - way too much!

• Posted

Hey a have been on matrazapine for a month and a bit now started on 15 mg them after my 28 tablets went up to 30 and felt like sh*t at the start of both but u always or at least most times feel worse before u feel better I think 30 to start is far to much and I think that was negligent from ure gp they should know better I am no expert but after a while I felt better diffrent tablets work diffrent for people I tried setraline first hated it. I wouldn't just come of them straight away tho just in case makes u worse I would just half cut ure ablets in his try 15 mg but best to speak to ure gp or get a new one hope u feel better soon hope this will be me feeling better for a while . Is it anxiety or depression u have or both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.