Started mirtazapine and feeling dreadful

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.  I was taking mirtazapine in August and September, but not consistently.  I weaned off 15 mg and came off it at the start of October.  However, due to terrible insomnia I am now back on 15 mg again.  This time I have taken it consistently for eight days and I actually feel worse.  very shaky, spaced out and not with it.  Is this normal?  other people tell me it gets worse before you feel better but am once again at the stage of thinking that I need to get off it.  I slept well last night and the thought of no sleep again horrifies me, but I can't do with feeling like this.  anyone got any advice?

judy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judy, I'm sorry to hear of how you've been feeling. Have you been back to your gp? Sometimes, I think, the meds take a while for the side effects to wear off before you feel the benefits of the drug - say 2-3 weeks and this is best if you can manage to take them consistently. Then, eventually when you decide the time is right for you to come off the meds (in conjunction with your doctor) you need to withdraw them slowly to minimise the withdrawl effects that you've obviously suffered before. If you are taking them for a reason eg depression or anxiety that is not yet resolved then it may be worth persevering as changing to another drug this soon may have similar problems while you get used to it. Whatever you decide, I would go back to your gp and discuss your options first, don't suffer in silence but do know that there will be an end to this at some point. Take care and very best wishes smile x
  • Posted

Hi sleepless and Judy...

the insomnia is the worst  part Judy I hope your doctor can help real quick. Hello sleepless hope you are doing well...

best wishes for both you you!

• Posted

Hi Rose, having a rough couple of days but plodding on. Hope you are well.

Best wishes to you xx

• Posted

Sleepless, 

that's what I'm doing as well..some days are good others not so good but it won't last forever. On to a better drug free life here we fome

hugs kiddo

• Posted

Always good to hear from you Rose, hugs back to you and hope your next few days will be brighter smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.