Started Mirtazapine two days ago..l

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've started Mirtazapine 2 days ago for depression and sleep problems, I've never been on meds for depression/insomnia before so I'm very new to it all. I'm dealing with the groggy/always tired feeling as that's to be expected. The only thing is that only 2 DAYS in, I keep crying and having crazy mood swings! I know this isn't related to my normal depression as I never have mood swings and I'm rarely teary. I've already had two meltdowns about stupid things like buying the wrong bread and I just go from 0-100 very quickly. I know this isn't like me but I'm surprised if the meds have kicked in so quickly. Is this normal? Please help! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mirt is one of the antidepressants that work very quickly but it does come with some nasty side effects that do ease as the drug settles into ur system. Like u I cld not sleep and very bad depression. When starting Mirt 30 I had terrible mood swings, anger, terribly tearful, but I got better on this drug before so I stuck with it. I have now recovered fully and enjoying life again. If I'm being honest takes about 3 months to settle. I'm so good now sometimes I forget to take my med but always remember wat wrks for one does not always suit another . So hang in there but if side effects become to bad then back to ur gp. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Jacqueline. I'm interested to know if you notice any I'll effects if you miss a dose of mirtazapine. I'm on 30mg mirtazapine with 225mg venlafaxine and I sometimes forget to take 75mg of the venlafaxine with no noticeable effects, but when I tried reducing the mirtazapine marginally, just once or twice a week, I developed distressing withdrawal symptoms. I know everyone is different.
    • Posted

Hey I have come off Mirt twice when I recovered and no symptoms but I did do it over a couple of months. Because this is my third episode of anxiety and depression , my psyche stated that if I have another episode which I have he said that I may have to stay on my med for life. I also take escitalopram 5 mg during the day x
  • Posted

I'd be surprised if this is the meds kicking in after only 2 days. It could be the "normal" ups and downs of depression causing it, even if you haven't had crying and mood swings before. Could there be an element of emotional reaction to having been to your doctor and asked for help? Just an idea. When I first took mirtazapine, it took a week to notice an improvement and several weeks before I got the full benefit.
  • Posted

Good luck Caitlin. I am also just starting out on this med. Have to say I felt so anxious and also emotional about the fact that I need meds, and the tiredness compounds that I think. I hope in time we feel happier and more settled. Did you start on 15 mg? Good luck and keep posting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.