Started Orlistat today

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all

I have started taking Orlistat today and I am concerned about having any mishaps as I will be travelling tomorrow.  I am also worried about whilst I am away what I should eat.  I understand I need to cut out fat but wonder what sort of things I should be eating.

I have had depression and anxiety for 2 years and apparently the tablets I have been given have a habit of causing you to put on weight.  I have also been comfort eating which hasnt helped.  I hate how I look and really hope these can help.  I think I need to lose at least 4 stone!!  I sounds a huge amount and I cant imagine actually being able to succeed.  Any suggestions or help really would be appreciated.

Thank you biggrin

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Westpest,

What have you been eating in the last 3 days? if you have eaten anything high in fat then you may likely get side effects. You should be eating a low fat diet no more than 5g of fat per 100g no more than a total of 15g fat per meal and no more than 45g fat a day/ If you search using the search bar above and type in xenical or orlistat then all my posts come up of what i eat/what not to eat with other tips. They have worked for me and have lost over 100lb and have nearly finished my weight loss jounrey 4 stone is not a lot and will be gone before you know it.

No butter or cheese or oil and cook everything in frylight if you have any other questions please just post back x

• Posted

Hi Britneyspears

Thank you so much for replying.  I started cutting down about a week ago but I have a chomp bar!! hmm no more of those I fear.  I havent had any bread or cheese for over a week and I have been using frylight.  My only worry is trying to watch what I eat whilst I'm away.  I would be mortified if I had any adverse effects.  I drink semi skimmed milk and I am a little heavy handed with it.

Honestly your help really is appreciated

xx

• Posted

Hi Westpest, Your welcome. How long since you ate the chomp bar? you can eat bread i chose not to eat it and gave it up it was my weakness but it just didn't agree with me milk is fine i used to drink a lot of coffee with semi skimmed i only drink Alpro now i just prefer it so you are fine with the milk don't worry about it. Only cheese we can have is cottage cheese laughing cow light or sainsburys do a philidelphia type spread which is 3/4g of fat per 100g. Personally i find Sainsburys do a lot of food within the rules. Will you be cooking whilst your away? if your eating out you can call the place in advance tell them your on a low fat diet and most places will make you something that you can eat. If you will be cooking and don't know what you can have please just reply or have a look at my other posts as i have posted a lot on what to eat x
    • Posted

Hiya

I had the Chomp bar a couple of days ago.  I've been following the Hairy Dieters recipes for the last 7 days.  So I've been making everything from scratch.  So lots of peppers, onions and mushrooms etc.  They recommended low fat cheese I had 20g earlier today.  Thats a brilliant idea over notifying the hotel of the low fat diet.  I stopped eating bread about 10 days ago and to be honest the stomach problems I was having have stopped.  So I think I'll stay off it.  Unfortunately where I live we dont have a Sainsburys.  There is only a choice of Tesco, Co-op or Lidl.  lol I'm in the back of beyond.   Can I speak to you again when I get back please?  Its really helpful being able to discuss all this.

Thanks again

xx

• Posted

Hi Westpest, if the cheese was over the 5g fat per 100g then you will get side effects Tesco do have a 'lighter' range however i don't know every item as i don't really shop there i look online check the items write them down and take a list instore saves time reading the labels! Yes sure please post back here or message me when you get back have a nice time x

• Posted

Hi westpest

I've been in the tablets for a week now and had no side effects at all. You can eat cheese but need to be careful and, if you can, weigh it outbefore hand. I bought morrisons 50% less fat cheddar. A 30g portion contains 4.5g of fat. So long as you factor this into the 15g per meal rule you should be ok. I ate it and had no side effects at all.

I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anywhere that says that with these tablets you must stick to foods which are 5g per 100g or less. That is the advice a dietician an will give you if you were put in a low fat diet anyway but is not a hard and fast rule with orlistat.

Last night my husband took me out for a meal. Pizza Express does a fantastic superfood salad packed with avocado, pine nuts, light goats cheese and various salad leaves with a very light dressing. Delicious and no nasty side effects which was good as we then spent 3 hours in the theatre!

This is very much trial and error so good luck!

• Posted

I think you will find it is the rules and is on the leaflet in the tablet box side effects can take up to 72 hours to come out
  • Posted

Briteny, I have scoured the leaflet and the box and the manufacturers website, nothing. Plus I had the cheese 3 days ago. If yiu can direct me to where it says otherwise would be grateful

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up