Started yesterday

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I found this forum yesterday when I did a google search on the tablets the doctor gave me. I was really pleased to find somewhere to talk to other people taking the same thing as me!

Anyway, I took my first pill yesterday and felt really on edge and shaky. I did manage to get to sleep ok although my boyfriend said I tossed & turned all night.

Second pill taken this morning and again I feel edgy and shaky, but also really emotional. No-one in my office knows I am depressed or taking pills so I have to keep leaving the room to go outside and compose myself. I have already cried at my desk twice (for reasons I don't know) and I feel like they are out to get me (which is silly!). I really just wanna go home and shut myself away but my boss (the only one who knows about my situation) is not in today, so if I sent myself home they would want to know why!

The doctor did warn me that I would feel worse before I felt better but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. I feel edgy, shaky, sick, tired, emotional and paranoid. How can I be having so many at once!

Thanks for reading - any advice gratefully received! smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Flow

I been taking flu for a couple of months now and it doesnt get any better for at least 3-4 weeks but do hang in there as it does work it just takes time. there is light at the end of the tunnel i was really quite bad for the first few weeks (sill thinking about suicide etc) and still crying at really stupid things but now the things that used to make me cry or would have set me off dont anymore. the thing that was really weird was my appetite not eating at all or eating to point of bursting. but this all does calm down and it does finally get back to normal, i still am depressed but i just cant reach it, it's weird. anyhow stick in there it does get better it just takes time.

Stay Safe

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on fluoxetine for 3 weeks now and like you I was wondering if it's really worth it as I have been feeling very nervy and anxious with little or no appetite, however I know that you just can't stop them as you will suffer side effects so I reckon it's worth persevering as things are meant to get better. I also use rescue remedy and kalms to help me through the days sometimes. Surround yourself with friends and family who love you. Like you I have to get through work where no-one knows how I'm feeling and it's hard but it will make you a much stronger person.

Try to keep smiling. We have one chance at this life, we need to try and make the most of it. (hard sometimes I know)

• Posted

Hello Flow79

Your post sounds soooooo familiar to how it was for me at first....I have to say that for me I did get worse before I got better. It got really bad for me on the 5th day, so much so I had a breakdown of sorts at work...and felt so trapped that I had to leave. I broke down in my boss's office shaking and crying and to top it off he's a male chauvenist who has NO idea abou these illnesses but I had come to the end of the road I just had to come home and lock myself away from the world. I felt so isolated. I even went to my mum for help (and she is like satan to me most of the time, family history) but I just couldn't cope.

There is a lighter note tho flo....these TABS :D do work but it did take about 4 weeks to actually notice that I was feeling better..it will be little things that you will notice at 1st....

I have now been taking them for 8 weeks...I am jolly again...I actually laugh!!!!! I am eating way better, my appetite has returned and I actually went swimming 3 times this week which is something I used to do about 5-3 yrs ago but I have had no motivation. Its right what someone else on here wrote I didn't realised how much I had lost sight of who 'I was' until now....I am starting to feel as if I am reborn so YOU HANG IN THERE...keep taking them ..the calm after the storm is due to come to you soon....

Sorry if I have rambled on, hope something in this post has helped you to know you are not on your own. Im here.

xx

• Posted

Hiya

Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful. I have been on Fluox for over a month now and after month 1 the doctor increased my dose from 20mg to 40mg, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. No good differences anyway.

I haven't been sleeping well since the doc doubled my doseage and today I am feeling really tired (again) and for the past hour have felt really shaky and sick. I took two days off work to sleep last week cause I was so tired and didn't get a full nights rest for ages. I feel so guilty about taking time off though.

The chemist would only give me Asda's own sleeping pills and not Nytol for some reason. Does he think I am gonna OD on them???

Anyway, what I really want it the doctor to sign me off cause I feel like I'm not coping and just wanna lie in bed all day. Does anyone else feel like that?

• Posted

Hi,

poor you not being able to sleep. Did your doctor say why he decided to up the dose so early on because when you read the messages people have left many times they have said that fluo can take anything from 4 - 6 weeks to take proper effect. I'm no expert but it might be worth going back to your g.p and having a good chat about how you are feeling and what is the best plan of action and mention the sleeping to him. I'm into week 4 now and in the morning I still don't feel great but as the day goes on it gets better however I don't feel that I have yet got the full effect I was 'promised' so I will check with my g.p on friday and see whether he thinks it can get better than this. Try to take it easy, relax with a nice warm bath and a good book. good luck.smile

• Posted

Hi again Flow

GOD YES...thats how I felt I just wanted to crawl under the duvet and never come out! Sounds to me like you could do with a good rest, some time for yourself and the opportunity to sleep/doze when the mood takes you!

Why don't you tell your doc that you cant possible concentrate on work because of your sleep deprevation and the fact that you are shaky and dare I say 'depressed' ...in my book with all the other symptoms anxiety/depression give that makes you unfit for work. The thing is with these docs you need to be a bit pushy and tell him what you need to make yourself better...you need time away from the stresses of work to get better !!! and keep yourself surrounded by people who care for you....even if its just to remind yourself your not on your own!!!!

Hope this helps!

Keep in touch and chin up!!

lots of love

xx

• Posted

I spoke to someone at work this morning, who knows my situation. I told her that I feel guilty taking time off as I don't see it as a proper illness. I know the stigma attached to depression and people think you can just pull yourself out of it, but I cant. I know I shouldn't worry what my colleagues think but I cant tell them the real reason I've been taking time off cause I don't want to be treated differently.

My boss is very understanding but she said she's not familiar with the condition, so she's not sure what to expect or how to help. I'm worried that she's getting annoyed with the amount of time I'm taking off. I'm also worried that my boyfriend thinks I'm milking it. He spends ages in the morning trying to wake me and sometimes I think he's had enough of it. I feel like he's ignoring the condition in the hope it will just go away.

Sorry to ramble, I'm feeling a little low and confused today. Just not sure what to do or what might make me feel better. All I want is to be signed off for a few weeks but will that help? I don't hate my job so I'm not trying to get our of working my using this as an excuse, I just feel better being at home on the sofa with the biscuit tin!

x :cry: x

• Posted

Hi Flow,

it must be horrible feeling the way you do, I've only been on flu for 3 weeks now and there hasn't been much improvement. Like you, I took yesterday and today off becuase I was too tired to get out of bed. I don't feel bad for this though, becuase I understand now that depression is an illness and I am aware of the fact that many people cannot understand it and I have a few friends who label me as 'lazy' because I can spend the whole day in bed. I don't hate them for this because I know they can't understand it and my main priority now is to get better. Don't worry about what people think about you, and keep in mind that it's in human nature to exaggerate. The more you worry about what people think about you, the worst you feel yourself, besides, there's nothing you can do except try to get better.

Let us know how you feel x

• Posted

I am suffering as well, i was sent home from work after breaking down emotionally, had no energy or sence of direction, i have been on flo for 5weeks now, with taking the med i have felt a little better, my doctor has just signed me off work for another 3 weeks, she has also put me on PROPRANOLOL 10mg, these have helped, but, i am seeing things that are not there, my dreams do seem to be so real, i am questioning about the reality, i am waking in the night, seeing my surroundings and taking in all the sights and sounds but not attempting to move, seeing ants on my pillow, raising myself to take a closer look, nothing there. I do find a walk in the park or countryside helps, take in the sights, birds, wildlife etc, just forget all your worries, this is the third time i have had this, believe me it does get better, once cured, the problem is staying cured, but second time around you know the symtoms, and do something about it ealier, my first time was very frightening, i thought i was on a point of no return, but obviosly i did, sorry to go on and on, but this is a serios thing and i wanted to let you all my experiences, thanks for reading
  • Posted

Hello Flow

Me again!

I agree with Athena, DO NOT concern yourself with what other people think....they are not important!! What is important is getting yourself well! and by trying to convince everyone else that your unwell is not going to help. If they haven't got the intelligence and knowledge to understand that depression/anxiety is an illness then thats their problem.

You have to get well! I know how you feel about work I did not want to take time off either but in the end it was out of my control...I couldn't concentrate at all...I was no good to no-one! I used to drive to the office and not even remember the journey in !

Have some time off, sod what they think...you will be able to sleep when you want and eat when you want... give your self thime to recover without worry about other people!

Write soon I am thinking of you.

xx

• Posted

Hello all,

Well I went to the doctor yesterday and he has taken me off Fluoextine and prescribed Citalopram. 20mg for a few days and then increase to 40mg as long as I feel ok. He said that Fluoextine can cause insomnia for some people so Citalopram should have the opposite effect.

Haven't felt anything today. The doctor signed me off for 2 weeks so I can relax, spend some time thinking about stuff etc. I felt really guilty about being off for so long and I have apologised to my boss & colleague. I also felt guilty that my boyfriend still has to get up and go to work and I get to stay at home and sleep late. I feel like now I should do all the cooking and housework to make up for it. He said that I shouldn't feel guilty and that this will hopefully get me back on track.

My mum came round today and we went for a walk along the beach. It was good to get out for some exercise cause I know I should keep my serotonin levels up.

Two weeks feels like such a long time though. This is only day 1 and I'm not sure what to do with myself.

I guess now I should move to the Citalopram group :?:

• Posted

Hi Flow,

great to hear you have been back to your g.p and hopefully things are going to improve for you. Getting out for a walk is a great start but don't think you have to be going crazy in the house because you aren't working. You have been given time off to rest and relax. Get yourself some nice magazines, can you knit? If you can get to the shop and get wool, if you can't get to the shop anyway get wool, needles and a beginners book! Get your favourite cd out, turn up the volume and dance around the house.If it makes you feel better head to the supermarket each day and get something nice for you and your boyfriend for dinner, something you can sit and enjoy together Good luck :P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.