Starting 20mg - advice please?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all! I have been pretty active on this forum, and I am just looking for some advice. I have been on Cit for 4 weeks now. 2 weeks on 5mg and 2 weeks on 10mg. Today I start 20mg and I am nervous! I wake up every morning feeling anxious and full of negative thoughts. My hands still shake, and that doesn't seem to be going away. Will 20mg make my side effects worse? Will it help with morning anxiety? I am feeling less anxious in general, but my depression doesn't seem to be lifting yet.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi cosmickitty

You've done the best thing by easing onto the meds slowly.  These meds work well but they do take a long time - think monthly changes, not weekly.  Don't be disheartened by that though, because the wait really is worth it.

Early morning anxiety is common as well as negative thoughts.  Recovery happens so slowly you hardly notice it's happening :-)  Eventually the morning anxiety will go and the negative thoughts will be replaced with positive ones.  I was ill for 15 years and this medicine helped me recover fully and have been well ever since.

Accept that you will still feel anxiety and be negative for a little while still, but remember that the medicine is working in the background and will take time to build up in your body.  During recovery you may start to feel really well and then find yourself slipping backwards again.  Don't worry, this seems part of recovery and if you keep persevering and get through it all, the anxiety, depression, thoughts etc will all disappear.

Remember perseverance, accept it'll take time and you'll get there.

Keep in touch.

K x

• Posted

Hi cosmickitty,I am in exactly the same position as yourself I have had 12 weeks on 10mgs and have now in my hand a prescription for 20mgs.I am scared to take them .My anxiety is terrible in the morning,I like you have morbid thoughts I have a massive adrenaline surge which leads to panic.I suppose we have to just think things can.t be any worse and just take the plunge.Let me know how you get along Take care and I wish you all ther bestX
  • Posted

Hi cosmickitty

I went straight onto 20mg. It seemed to take forever to kick in. I was waking every morning and thinking I still feel terrible. But after about six weeks I started feeling better and now two years later I am very well. I have been thinking about reducing my dose but with winter, dare I say it, not too far away I will stick with 20mg.

• Posted

Hi cosmickitty. I don't actually take Citalopram anymore but when I did I was taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg at  night and it took several weeks before I saw any signs of improvement. Just remember to avoid alcohol! Like everything you have to give it time. Has your GP given you a review appointment? If not see how things go for a couple of weeks and if you are not feeling better go back and see him. Remember your health is his concern,
  • Posted

Give it at least another month.  20mg is considered the normal dose for cit. I was on 10mg for ages and sort of hit a wall, so they put me up to 20mg and I was fine on that.  But it's supposed to take at least 6 weeks to start working.  
  • Posted

I'm exact same, this morning I start my first 20mg after being on 10mgs for 4 weeks, my gp says I shouldn't have the side effects I had when I first started!! I'm still a bit wary though!! The mornings are worst for me too but things seem to be getting better!!! Let me know how how you got on with the 20!!! Hopefully we will be ok 😃
  • Posted

I'm similar too. Been on 10 mg for 2 months and Dr suggested increasing my dose to 20mg. It's a bit scary when I think about it. I do feel worse in the morning for about an hour. 

Incidently the Dr said to me that 10mg is a paediatric dose. 

Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.