Starting a cold

Posted , 6 users are following.

My op is on Saturday and just starting a runny nose and feeling colder than usual. Will my op be cancelled if this continues or if I have a bit of a temperature?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi SArah, one week before surgery I started a cold. I got fresh ginger grounded it up, boiled it, extracted the liquid, added fresh lemon juice and honey and a dad of cayenne. Gone by next day. I did sweat like a pig that night and that is good to know the virus. I had my surgery 5 days later as scheduled. Good luck.
  • Posted

You should check with the pre op team or surgeon. If you do have a virus it could affect your new hip and cause infection which would be very bad news. 
  • Posted

Get some Vit C, and take Max doseage, hopefully you can beat this off.

No they will not operate if you are running a temp, they cannot take the chance they will cause a pneumonia, especially with general, spinal may not be so bad, but they cannot guarantee a spinal until the try to get it in and then sometimes they have no success, and they go general at the last minute.

• Posted

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry....you don't need this. Hope all is well by Saturday. Keep us  posted.

• Posted

I find that as soon as I get cold, like going into a cold kitchen, or keeping heating off to save a bit of money, I start to sneeze, feel terribly cold and nose starts running. I went to bed yesterday at 5.30. I WAS ABSOLUTELY DRAINED and cold. Put my electric blanket on, bedroom radiator on ( something I never do because of the expense), took sleeping tablet and lay there til 3am nice and warm and toasty. Got up, made a cup of tea and toast, took Vit C and Echinacea Forte and - so far  - have only sneezed once. I wouldn’t normally mention things like a sneeze haha but Saturday is looming and I’m nervous...... would any of you recommend going out to join friends for a game of bridge or would you stay indoors?? What would you do?? 
    • Posted

I think I'd be staying in, you sound as though you may have had a mild virus have a swipe at you, Keep taking your Vit C, etc, stay warm, and look after yourself, its only a few days to wait, and then you are on the way to being better.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

?My pre op team told me a simple virus like a cold should not be a problem, even if you still have minor things such as a runny nose on the day., As long as you are fit on the day with no temperature and a clear chest you should be ok. Don't rush to tell them yet as you still have a few days to recover. And even if you don't feel amazing on the day the anaesthetist will assess you immediately before - hand, and if he has any concerns he will halt the procedure.  Regarding going out - I stayed off sick for the week before and only mixed with my family, non of whom were ill. I wasn't taking the chance of picking something up from someone else at the last minute. It is winter, and there are lots of potential sources of pesky infection lurking. Dose yourself up, drink lots of water and rest lol

• Posted

If you have a tempreture they wont operate. Sounds like you aee taking stuff to help. I always have 2 teaspoons of honey in hot water, asquid of lemon juice and a little sugar to sweeten and that clears any cold up in a couple of days. You have till saturday so you should be better by then. If you still have a temp by Thursday then I would call the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.