Starting cataracts at 56, very frightened...help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been told I am starting cataracts at 55. This seems young and I have no diabetes or trauma to explain it. I feel very frightened. Many posts on here are negative about the surgery. Does anyone have any more comforting experiences? I've never heard of cataracts in anyone under 70.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Children can get them. I was told of them forming when I was about 65. They said that they probably would not worsen.

They did quite quickly when I was in my late 70's and prescribed Amiodarone and ‎Tamsulosin.

The operation is nothing, have no fears. A ten minute procedure with either anaesthetic drops or an injection into the area and next day brilliant sight.

With the injection I had to keep a pad over my eye overnight. With the drops I just had a clear protective cover over until bed time so I could see reasonably well through it.

I am always surprised at the negative reports of some people. I had a different surgeon each time at my local hospital and each was brilliant.

Don't laugh but a friend of mine was so concerned about her first procedure and how it would affect her that she booked herself into a nursing home for a week! She is not doing that when she has her second one done.

• Posted

Thankyou Derek! That has made a real difference!
  • Posted

Last time I arrived at 8.30 was seen by a nurse and the surgeon. I was third on the list but was done second as one patient took fright and did a runner! I went home by bus and was home by noon.

The next day I went to the races and was amazed by my vision after having worn specs since I was twelve.

I could have waited longer for my procedure as my sight was not too bad but they asked if I wanted it done sooner rather than later.

It seems to be the case that the wait is not too long for the first eye (about four weeks in my case) but the second one can drag on. I was scheduled for the end of January after having the first one done in August but managed to get a cancellation for October thanks to helpful nurse that I had spoken to about dryness in my eye, the only problem that I had.

I much prefer having a cataract done than going to the dentist.

• Posted

Oh dear Marcella! Don't worry, you often find the people with the negative attitude haven't actually had to have cataracts removed.

I had my eye done when I was 40. I have a chronic eye condition which requires steroid drops, which, in turn, can cause cataracts. They offered to do my other eye at the same time, which I declined! Now, 20 years later, I still don't need to have my other eye done yet.

At my follow up appt., they told me I needed some laser treatment, which they did at the same appt.. It didn't hurt and just involved looking through something like the slit lamp, while the surgeon used his laser. I saw a lot of lights, one at a time. Then, that was that and I haven't looked back!

You might find a pair of sunglasses useful, you will have an artificial lens, instead of your natural lens, so the sun might bother you a little. I wear photochromic specs.

Talk to the people in the hospital, they will help to reassure you.

• Posted

I've not found a problem with sunlight. I just wear sun glasses to hide the bags under my eyes:-)
  • Posted

Thankyou All! This is so reassuring, I can't tell you. I just wonder why they've started so (relatively) young.
  • Posted

Did you ask your optician or consultant? I watched Youtube videos of the procedure. It's so easy I don't call it an operation.

Wikipedia says:

A cataract is a clouding of the lens inside the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. It is the most common cause of blindness and is conventionally treated with surgery. Visual loss occurs because opacification of the lens obstructs light from passing and being focused on to the retina at the back of the eye.

It is most commonly due to biological aging, but there are a wide variety of other causes. Over time, yellow-brown pigment is deposited within the lens and this, together with disruption of the normal architecture of the lens fibers, leads to reduced transmission of light, which in turn leads to visual problems.

Those with cataracts commonly experience difficulty in appreciating colors and changes in contrast, driving, reading, recognizing faces, and coping with glare from bright lights.

• Posted

I shall ask when my appointment comes, (not holding my breath) but I doubt there will be a definitive answer. Just 'ageing'!
  • Posted

Hi Marcella Please dont get worried. I had the start of cataracts back in 2006 I didn't need surgery until 2011for first eye and second done earlier this year. Now because I have other eye problems my surgery and after

care was a bit more difficult but if you have perfectly health eyes then you should have no trouble. It is a day

care surgery and as other have mentioned you get crystal clear vision. You would surprised how bright

colours are. When the time comes for surgery just do everything you are told with aftercare and I'm sure you

will be fine. Incidentally there are 2 types of cataract if I am correct one is age related and slow growing,

hence your comments about being too young. The other the type I have affect younger people and develop

more quickly often caused by steroids (I have asthma). This may be the type you have. Good luck for the future

• Posted

After having my second eye done the grass had a 3D look to it. I swear I could see it growing. My wife has pretty good eyesight but I now point out things in the far distance that she can't see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.