Starting citalopram - increased anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I've started citalopram last week - started at 10mg per day for 6 days and now 20mg for the past 3 days. Aside from the sweaty palms and dry mouth and bit of insomnia, I've noticed a real increase in my anxiety. Has anyone else had this before? and how often does this last! it's so difficult as this is the very symptom I was trying to get away from by taking citalopram!! Need some positive stories please smile 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In brief, yes. 10mg alone is enough to give you increased side effects for a few weeks. It's a side effect.

It is also possible that 20mg is too high a dose for you. Forget about the 'therapeutic dose' stuff that docs tell you. Lots of people, myself included, can and do recover at 10mg. You have to be patient and give it at least 6 to 8 weeks to really start to feel like you're on your way to recovery.

Also, your gp increased you really quickly. 6 days isn't enough time to see if 10mg will be enough for you. By 6 days, you're probably only just beginning to feel the side effects, to be honest.

Ignore the packaging blurb about time it takes for recovery. It will lead you to believe the recovery process is much faster, which it simply isn't for a lot of us. 😉😊

• Posted

PS it does get better. I usually feel shocking for the first month or so, and then start to gradually see improvements. Hang in there, come in here, read through a few posts. You're not alone ??

• Posted

Alot of doctors give more time on 10mg before upping them further, to reduce strong side effects. You havent been on 20mg for long enough to build in your system yet, so could try going back to 10mg until you settle or stick on the 20mg and ride through it. People can react differently to these, its not a one size fits all, unfortunately.
  • Posted

Hi

I was in the same situation as you felt like initially citalopram made my anxiety worse luckily I didn’t have any side effects so I stuck with it and after a few weeks the difference was amazing. My GP warned me it may get worse before it gets better but to stick with it and I’m glad I did it’s literally changed my life. I hope things improve for you like they have for me and it starts to help soon 

• Posted

Stay at 10 longer. Your going up too fast. You might not even need to go up to 20. I’m on it 7 months at 10 and have recovered after some crazy side effects for 5-6 months. 

Will😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.