starting citalopram.. increased anxiety! need some positive support :)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone - first time I've ever posted in a forum before!

?

I'm from New Zealand. I'm 29yr/old and struggled with anxiety for the last 10 years. I was on 20mg citalopram for 7 years, but came off about 2 years ago. 

Last week however I started again as my anxiety was brewing and starting to impact other areas of my life, I just thought - no! stuff this, I want a good quality of life, and I've tried EVERYTHING! Meditation, diet changes, exercise, every herbal supplement under the sun, quitting my stressful job, etc etc. 

Anyway - I started on 10mg for the first 6 days, and started to notice side effects straight away. Sweaty hands, insomnia, very dry mouth, and general 'jitteryness'.  And now, I am on 20mg for the past 3 days. Main side effect now is sweaty hands (manageable) but increased anxiety. Am needing to take some clonozepam every so often just so I can relax when I'm home alone (being alone is what sets off my anxiety). So one week in and feeling like anxiety is worse! 

Anyway - I just wanted some reassurance, that it does pass. I have read countless threads online that it does get worse before it gets better but it's so hard to not get anxious when you worry that you will feel like this forever! My doctor also said that it takes a few weeks for things to settle, but I would love to hear from others that have experienced this, and conquered it! 

thanks guys smile 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello there,

I have been where you are, I know exactly how you’re feeling. I spent 2 weeks however at 10mg before increasing to 20mg. It did take a while for the increased anxiety to settle. With recovery from anxiety it always feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back, but, don’t let this disenheart you, it will get better! Some of the best advice I’ve received is to not look further than the day you are in with recovery as that will make you more anxious. Being alone would set my anxiety off massively, I couldn’t be left alone for 2 months and I would at times have panic attacks as I always thought something awful would happen without other people around me. Going for walks helped me a lot as it got me out of the house into fresh air and would tire me out, which would help me to relax a little and help me cope with being alone. It’s a long process, recovery doesn’t come overnight, but keep going, at some point the good days will start to outweigh the bad days! 

Best wishes

• Posted

I’m from New Zealand alsoand im also suffering bad anxiety feel free to pm me 
  • Posted

Hi there, 

Yes, of course, that’s normal. I’ve been on and off citalopram for about 8 years. Currently, however, my anxiety and depression are back, so I went to doctors 2 days ago and was prescribed 20mg daily which is double the dose I’ve been on for the past 6 months or so. I was on 10mg for ages. So, today is the second day I’ve taken 20mg - increased my dose. Yesterday was a nightmare, I felt really strange all day after taking the 20mg in the morning. Today I took the tablet about 2 hrs ago, feeling weird again but I already know that it’s normal to feel like this. It will take about 2 weeks to feel normal, that’s what my doctor said and I know of my own experience. Plus, I suffer with panic attacks too, so normally if I feel any changes in my feelings and bodily sensations, I would panic. But this time I’m trying hard not to, because I know....So hang in there, ur anxious feelings will pass soon 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.