Starting Citlopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All, 

I am new to this forum and am needing some help/advice. I have had anxiety and depression problems for years. I have been on and off several different medications over the last 13 years. I have not taken anything for the last few years and have been coping fine until a few months ago. I started having anxiety problems which led to a flare up of depression. I won't go into the whole process but it has been a difficult few months. My pdoc and I decided I would start taking citlopram (generic of celexa). She started me at 5 mg for a week, then 10 mg for a week, then 20 mg for a week. I am currently on day 9. I did 5 mg for 6 days and 10 mg for 2 days. She also prescribed me diazepam to take as needed for anxiety until the citlopram kicks in. I have suffered many side effects over the last 9 days. Most were there before I started though. I have major insomnia, no appetite, brain fog. I generally don't have a problem falling asleep but I wake up between 2:30 and 3:30 with severe anxiety and floods of adrenaline. I find it hard to get out of bed and the anxiety doesn't really get any better throughout the day until night time. I am generally relaxed in the evenings but get no relief during the day. I am trying to not take the diazepam very often as I don't want to build too much of a tolerance but I am finding it hard not to. Is this normal? Is it normal to have this much of an increase in anxiety? How log before I will get some peace? I feel like I have gone from a successful, bubbly, happy person to almost agoraphobic in 2 months. I don't enjoy anything I used to and feel like i am just making it through the days. I want my old self back. I need myself back for my kids, my husband, and my job.

Any advice, opinions, similar stories? I have read that it can get worse before it gets better but I need some reassurance this is going to get better.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

On the bright side, what you are going through is exactly what a lot of people go through. I have quite a story myself, after being stable on Cit 40mg for almost 10 years, tried going off, completely through me off the rails and am now trying to get myself right again. I have had many ups and downs, and most of those are during a period of increase/decrease in dosage, so what you are experiencing is completely normal, as awful as it is. This drug takes forever to mellow out and work right, sometimes several weeks, sometimes months. It is very worth hanging in there, though. I had issues with my sleep, too, this time around, so I know how badly you are struggling. You also want to be extremely patient with dosage increases. That was a pretty big increase for you in quite a short amount of time. I have come to find that you need to be as gradual as possible when increasing or decreasing. I ended up at my worst when I tried to go off of it, and I can at least say that I was able to get stable again on it, so hang in there even if it seems there is no hope, because it may very well work out great for you!
  • Posted

I am sorry you are experiencing so much anxiety.  I can relate, I also used to wake up in the middle of the night with horrendous anxiety and adrenaline that would last for hours.  I have been on citalopram for 8 years and I am currently trying to wean myself off because it is no longer effective for me.  I was on 40mg for many years and am now at 15 mg.  I highly recommend reading "Mood Cure" by Julia Ross specifically chapter 3 Eliminating the Depression and Anxiety Caused by inadequate Serotonin.  Also, "Put the Anxiety Behind You" by Dr. Peter Bongiorno. After so many years of having ups, downs, and basically no luck with SSRI's I dumped my psychiatrist and have sought help with a homeopathic physician who had me continue my 15 mg of Citalopram but had me add 5htp, Ashwagandha and GABA as well as other vitamins to my daily regimen.   5htp converts into tryptophan which then converts into serotonin. When we have little to no serotonin we get anxiety and depression.  Ashwagandha is to strengthen exhausted adrenals.  Its been 4 weeks and I have had maybe 1 minor anxiety attack. The anxiety in the middle of the night has completely stopped and I am sleeping like I used to once again. 5htp is very miraculous.  I really recommend you read these books and do not take my word for it. You have to take your health into your own hands.  I know its hard because you feel at the mercy of anxiety and depression right now but if you don't do it who will do if for you.  I wish you success even if you continue with the citalopram. I know what its like feeling like you do and I do not wish it upon anyone.  No one knows the lonely road we walk when were going through these attacks. I wish you the best.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.